Overkill 10g home network with 802.11 AC wave2 APs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ERDrPC

Aug 14, 2012
I'm going to be renovating my home in 6 months. I have a full home Elan G! automation system with a large storage server for backed up video. I have a home built DVR with dual gigabit ethernet for 8 IP security cameras. Other connected equipment: HTPC single gigabit, synology 2 drive unit with dual gigabit ethernet, all Elan G! equipment; and a ton of wifi connected devices including all of my light switches, Elan G! remotes, 6 ipod touches as remotes, 6 wifi door locks, 4 in-wall iPads and a roaming iPad I also like to edit video on my current workstation. I plan on moving up to 4k video and see this as a reason to spend some $$ to upgrade :) Well that's what I tell my wife anyways.

I have a server room in my basement and all runs will be updated to cat 6A (currently a mixture of cat 5 & 6). I'd like to keep 10g as the backbone for as much of the network as 802.11ac wave2 requires more than a gigabit bandwidth.

Other background. I'm a physician and not IT network engineer. I don't have the time to learn CLI so everything needs to have a GUI. My home automation installer outsources to a company that works with Cisco equipment. I have a feeling that to keep as much as possible 10g that I will have to mix and match brands and as such support this thing myself as I do now with a bunch of netgear prosafe switches.

I know this is overkill for a home environment but I love this stuff. My Elan G! will be on a separate VLAN from my data.

Cable modem - 250 Mbps for now but hoping to change to fiber to the home eventually as it's just been run on my street.

Router - Mikrotik CCR1036-8G-2S+EM. This is the only router I found with SFP+ I like that it had dual SFP+ so I can connect each to a switch and keep the backbone 10g or LACP??.

Switch - Here's where I need help.
Single Gigabit port connections: Elan G! equipment - 4 ports, 8 x IP cameras with single gigabit (need POE .at), HTPC x 1, Oppo blu-ray x 1, 3 x Integra AVRs with single gigabit, PS3 x 1, pool & hot tub integration x 4 ports, watercop or other leak protection device x 1 port, data port for connected TVs x 8, synology 2 x gigabit in LACP, data port for IP printer and fax x 2, USB via IP for scanner x 1, irrigation controller x 1 port, low voltage light controller x 1, 6 to APs (3 x dual gigabit)
TOTAL 46 ports
10gBaseT - office workstation 25m away and will have an Intel X540T2 card and two Cat 6a runs,
SFP+ - I'm going to upgrade my server to X710-DA2 since it sits in my rack with all the other equipment. I guess I could use another X540T2 instead if it's easier.

The APs can all be run with dual gigabit using 802.11at and LACP. I would use the cat 6a with an .at POE switch. I haven't found any 10gBaseT POE+ switches. I guess I could use an injector once the IEEE wave 2 gets ratified in 2020.

I've looked at -
10gBaseT with SFP+: Netgear XS728T ; Dlink DXS-1210-12TC, Cisco SG350XG-2F10 or SG350XG-24T
IP camera POE+ Netgear
S3300-52X-PoE+ for IP camera .at POE. I couldn't find a Cisco gigabit switch with SFP+ and POE+ for under $7500 Cdn, I found the catalyst 3850 .
Any other suggestions? Can the Cisco

Question: What is the best way to interconnect everything? One SFP+ from Mikrotik to the 10gBaseT switch and the POE+ switch respectively? The Mikrotik will do the DHCP and static IP assignments and VPN.
Is it possible to LACP the SFP+ ports if the switch has more than one?

Wireless 802.11 AC wave 2. The issue as I see it that these are multigigabit APs but are only fed by a gigabit pipeline. I know cisco has just announced multigigabit ports (2.5, 5 & 10) to be included in their APs in the future?? There are only 3 AP options currently - Aruba 320 (dual gigabit ports) has an instant mode not requiring a separate controller, Ruckus R710 (dual gigabit ports) which also has a standalone mode and cisco 1850 Series (dual gigabit ports). The throughput is higher with Aruba and Ruckus. The cisco catalyst 3850 series has a built in AP controller so I guess I would save there and maybe justify the $7500 price?? It makes sense to have a controller so I don't have to set diff channels and such as I do now with my apple airport extremes (x3). However, the Ruckus and Aruba perform better.

I look forward to your thoughts

Reactions: Chuntzu

Naeblis

Oct 22, 2015
Folsom, CA
for a switch you can use Cisco Systems SG500X-48P-K9-NA POE stackable switch.. can be had on ebay for about 1500. 48 1g. 4 10g ports

yes you can LACP the SFP+ ports

Just confirmed it is POE+
• Simplify deployments of voice, wireless, and video surveillance systems with automated quality of service (QoS) and voice VLAN features, and full 30-watt Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+) connectivity.

Last edited:

sth

Oct 29, 2015
just incase the OP buyer jumps on that, I recall the SG500 only has 2 10g ports, the two on the far right are 5g stack ports.
The SG500x has the 4 10g ports. I could be talking smack so homework advised. I rate my recently acquired SG500x-24p.

Aug 2, 2015
Last I checked, wave2 AC advantages apply only when both the AP and client (laptops, phones, tablets) supports wave2. Otherwise, the multi-user MIMO feature is wasted. Maybe get current wave1 AC gears first and upgrade to wave2 once most of the client devices at home has already been replaced with wave2 AC?

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
That's a juicy build!

What do you need to route 10G for if you only have a 250M uplink? Just saying you should not stare at the 10G ports, but at routing performance.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
"I also like to edit video on my current workstation. I plan on moving up to 4k video" - moving 4k video around a LAN on 1gig link is a pain.

ERDrPC

Aug 14, 2012
Thanks for all the replies!!! I'm continuing with my research.

The one question no one has commented on yet is the interconnection?

FRPII

Dec 2, 2015
I know this thread is nearing two weeks old but I just wanted to make a suggestion:
First, I love Ruckus as a home user. My WiFi might as well be wired from a stability perspective.
ERdrPC you stated you want a GUI. Take a look at Ruckus' 'Unleashed' option. While not available on the R710 really the R600s are great. Maxing out the wave 2 hardware basically requires perfect, synthetic lab conditions. You'll have a lot of clients for a home user but really won't be able to utilize the fancy WiFi as you'd like.

http://divdyn.net/ruckus-is-officially-off-the-leash/

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
I think the Wireless is also overkill and I have a Cisco Controller Based Setup in my house! =)
Anyway check out the Dell X1052P Switch it is a 52 Port Switch that has 24 POE / POE+ Ports along with 4 - 10G SFP+ Ports. I just picked one up for my home network. I will be replacing 2 Cisco SG300-28p Switches that I love but wanted the 10G. I have Cisco APs, POE Security Cameras as well as several POE Powered Switches around my house.

brendantay

Aug 12, 2015
Australia
Cable modem - 250 Mbps for now but hoping to change to fiber to the home eventually as it's just been run on my street.
I hate being in australia.. :(
Where im building has Fibre.. but max we can get on it is 100Mbit :( and you're getting fibre to upgrade a 250Mbps link :( hah.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Google Gigabit service. I have a mate in Korea with 10Gb internet.
I've got the 100Mb NBN here in Melbourne, but it's a cold day in hell if I can ever max it out.

Reactions: pgh5278

AmshTemp

May 28, 2015
I think you might want to have a look at Cisco's WS-C3560CX-8XPD-S switch.

8 ports downlink: 6xGbE(PoE+) and 2xMultiGbE(PoE+)
2 ports uplink: 2xSFP+

For more ports, You might also combine this one with another cheap 48xGbE switch and save money.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Understood that was a normal day in Melbourne!!
4 seasons in a day and you know it.
Ive had fibre before and i was constantly maxing it, so ive decided 2x when my house is built :p
The amount of jealousy I have is too damned high!

Back on topic though, sounds like some OM4 fibre pulls through your walls might not be a bad idea if you've planned where you're going to put stuff.