Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just so you guys know (if you noticed the main site post last weekend) I met with ASRock Rack last week so I had a bit of a heads up to this. I did implore them to get better availability. Even at length explained how Amazon is great with this thing called Prime. Message is out there.

Reactions: cheezehead

Dom

Oct 22, 2015
Just so you guys know (if you noticed the main site post last weekend) I met with ASRock Rack last week so I had a bit of a heads up to this. I did implore them to get better availability. Even at length explained how Amazon is great with this thing called Prime. Message is out there.
On the Asrock news page (ASRock Rack > News) they made the announcement which points back to this fourm, however no mention on distribution ETA.

They should really strengthen their marketing technique and level of communication to potential customers. I've seen announcements as far back as March 2016. If I was in the market back then looking to purchase this product, I would be very sour that 7+ months later and still no distribution.

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I am looking at ASRock Rack > D1540D4U-2L+ and it really fit my needs at home living room needs.
  • I don't need SPF+/10Gbe/LSI3008 these expensive features
  • a full speed x16 that PVE 4 can VGA pci-passthrough (so that I can stream games to my Nvidia Shield TV)
  • a quad port i350 for my PFSense and
  • a 6 HD raidz2 pool + 2 x M.2 SSD as cache & zil
to bad the board does not support SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V5P512BW - Newegg.com .... I guess all the pcie lane is used up

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
I am looking at ASRock Rack > D1540D4U-2L+ and it really fit my needs at home living room needs.
  • I don't need SPF+/10Gbe/LSI3008 these expensive features
  • a full speed x16 that PVE 4 can VGA pci-passthrough (so that I can stream games to my Nvidia Shield TV)
  • a quad port i350 for my PFSense and
  • a 6 HD raidz2 pool + 2 x M.2 SSD as cache & zil
to bad the board does not support SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V5P512BW - Newegg.com .... I guess all the pcie lane is used up
Why not just get the SM board. Who knows when ASRock will be out.

Continuum

Jun 5, 2015
Virginia
I'm just hoping that the Asrock matx boards don't end up being vaporware. Asrock announced the d1540d4x during Intel's Xeon D launch and that board is nowhere.
At least the Asrock matx E5 boards could be an alternative.

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Why not just get the SM board. Who knows when ASRock will be out.
I already bought two of the SM server @ work and I know I need two PCI slot for home usage

So is SR-IOV doable on these with a driver update or no?
I have successfully enabled SR-IOV and VF passthrough to a PFSense VM on Ubuntu 14.04.3 with Kernel Version 4.2.3, then I got sidetrack converting that server into a PVE4... I will resume testing on a successful ping from a VM today (which means the server need to move into the RACK and away from my workbench, I only had one extra eth @ working area

jonaspaulo

Jan 26, 2015
I already bought two of the SM server @ work and I know I need two PCI slot for home usage

I have successfully enabled SR-IOV and VF passthrough to a PFSense VM on Ubuntu 14.04.3 with Kernel Version 4.2.3, then I got sidetrack converting that server into a PVE4... I will resume testing on a successful ping from a VM today (which means the server need to move into the RACK and away from my workbench, I only had one extra eth @ working area

Besides the kernel version requirement did you performed any extra steps to enable SR-IOV?
also is it available on both network chipsets?
Thanks

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Elurex could you do a separate thread on getting it setup,
in pve4, its kernel disabled x557 for loading sr_iov . it prevent write to /sys/class/net/eth1/device/sriov_numvfs and it was force set to 0 whereas the sriov_totalvfs was 64

So far only ubuntu 14.04.3 with kernel 4.2.3 works.... I will try on my other SM1540 server as this pve 4 need to be put in product asap

Reactions: gigatexal

jonaspaulo

Jan 26, 2015
Hi,
When trying to build the 4.1.5 ixgbe drivers i get the following:

sudo make
make -C /lib/modules/4.3.0-040300-generic/build SUBDIRS=/var/tmp/ixgbe-4.1.5/src modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-4.3.0-040300-generic'
CC [M] /var/tmp/ixgbe-4.1.5/src/ixgbe_main.o
In file included from /var/tmp/ixgbe-4.1.5/src/ixgbe_osdep.h:38:0,
from /var/tmp/ixgbe-4.1.5/src/ixgbe_type.h:66,
from /var/tmp/ixgbe-4.1.5/src/ixgbe_dcb.h:28,
from /var/tmp/ixgbe-4.1.5/src/ixgbe.h:49,
from /var/tmp/ixgbe-4.1.5/src/ixgbe_main.c:51:
/var/tmp/ixgbe-4.1.5/src/kcompat.h:756:2: error: #error UTS_UBUNTU_RELEASE_ABI is too large...
#error UTS_UBUNTU_RELEASE_ABI is too large...
^
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/ixgbe-4.1.5/src/ixgbe_main.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/ixgbe-4.1.5/src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-4.3.0-040300-generic'
make: *** [default] Error 2

any hints on how to solve this?

I am running:
lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

uname -r
4.3.0-040300-generic

Thanks

[EDIT] ok so maybe this is due to the fact that on ixgbe 4.1.5 release notes it tells us:
"This is the most current release of the ixgbe driver for Linux, which supports kernel versions 2.6.18 up through 4.2.1."
And my ubuntu is on 4.3.0 stable kernel.

Taking in account also this output:
jfeteira@ubuntukvm:~$ modinfo ixgbe
filename: /lib/modules/4.3.0-040300-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbe/ixgbe.ko
version: 4.0.1-k

I am guessing that my ixgbe driver is still on 4.0.1, so to upgrade to 4.1.5 I have to downgrade my kernel to 4.2.1 correct?

The reason I want to have this latest kernel and ixgbe version is due to the support for SR-IOV and VXLAN.

[EDIT2] just tried with kernel 4.2.5, 4.2.3 and 4.2.1 and same error while compiling :s

Thanks

Last edited:

ggg

Jul 2, 2015
The reason I want to have this latest kernel and ixgbe version is due to the support for SR-IOV and VXLAN.
@jonaspaulo

Might you first use the ixgbe that is upstream in 4.3; the '4.0.1-k' you mention?

It should be stable and should support SR-IOV on the x557.

Or is there something in ixgbe 4.1.5 that you specifically require?