Wife says DL360 G7 is too loud

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
My current Lab Esxi host is a Dl360 G7 with 76GB of ram and 2x L5640. Running local storage with 15K drivers for right now. I think I will likely be replacing it with a Supermicro 4U box as that will kill two birds with one stone. Jumping up to a 4U chassis also allows me to roll my NAS into the same box and just run all of my equipment out of one box. From a value standpoint I am unsure if I should look for something socket 2011 or look for another server running dual L5640. In real world usage would I see any power saving with Dual E5's? which models would I want to look for? it looks like dual L5640 would run about ~600 so that is kinda my starting point. If E5's bring enough value to the table I am ok with spending more.

halfelite

Oct 10, 2014
The power saving would be so minimal you most likely wont notice. Also note the supermicro 4u are not very silent be ready to swap fans and find SQ model power supplies the non SQ model psu scream. On my SC846 case swapping out the fans and going with the SQ model psu made it perfect and you can sit in the same room right next to it.

Reactions: dawsonkm

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
2011 platform is not likely to use more power than dual L5640 at idle though would it be? Assuming apples to apples.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Keep the server, sell the wife.
BEST...COMMENT...EVER on STH Forums for me :-D LOLS

Rumor has it IF you can 'sell the wife' that is a MUCH cheaper route so says a recent divorcee' friend of mine.

Sending a screenshot of this to 'the Mrs.' as an idle threat right fellas...you know what I'm talkin' bout!

jtreble

Apr 16, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
modder man,

Have you considered the possibility of putting a quiet workstation in your rack to do this (i.e., running it as a server to replace both your DL360 and NAS)? Just a thought.

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
Can't you just sell it and buy a ml360/370?

The ML series are quieter than the DL series

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
The DL series are always going to be noisy. Well known and documented. As soon as there are populated risers in the rear, noise goes nuts.

I have/had a G6 DL380 that was a good VM host platform but fark, too much noise to go near the home area so it lived in the back shed (where my main server rack is). Recent storms seen my UPS (bloody PoS enterprise grade Powersheild) shat itself and depleted its batteries without charging them and resulted in power bouncing to server rack. The G6 is now toast with too many unstable tendencies but I did experiment. I cleared the CMOS and the NVRAM and yanked the rear mezzanine out. Started her up, set BIOS to basically defaults (locked RAM speed, set time and boot order while killing PXE), machine rebooted and fans ramped up to normal levels (will embarrass a Boeing 747 @ ground idle) but then it ramped back down, I could not hear the turd running, fans went that quiet. I shit you not.

The issue: not enough airflow at this setting resulting in rear stages getting way tooooo hot.

Moral of story, with grunt, comes noise. As said above sell the wife or start learning to noise proof your rack.

Diavuno

Yeah, I had the same issue for my home setup. The DL's are screamers. STH had a lot of talk about silencing the DL180's (they were popular a while back) I know mine was wisper quiet with 5640's, add in the P400 and it was bearable... when I dropper in the NIC's it was moved to the basement.

I also had a few complaints about my 15k drives as well.

Ended up with a supermicro 4U and upgrading to cooler running 3.5's with a solid array for VM's

chune

Oct 28, 2013
not sure if this applies to HP, but on the dell c2100s anything after BMC firmware version 16 ramps the fans up quite loud at idle. Under version 16 is unbelievably quiet.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
I swapped the server for a Intel R2000GZ, this box is silent. Quieter than my desktop for sure.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
For the cost of 15K drives, wouldn't it be about the same cost to just buy SSDs (at least for the lower sizes)?