Supermicro X8DTT-F 4 node Desktop Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

James2020

Oct 14, 2015
Hi guys,

I'm trying to build a 4 node system of which I have already purchased the hardware but am having some problems -

Supermicro X8DTT-F-SG007 REV 1.02

24GB (6X4GB) DDR3 Memory RAM PC3-10600 ECC REG
Intel® Xeon® Six Core Processor X5650

I got the motherboards and RAM on auction and sourced 5650 CPUS, because the original server chassis is rare and expensive I decided I would have a ATX server PSU re configuring the pins for the custom SM power connector layout.

So rewired the plug according to my schematic which was daunting but quite easy in the end.... This was turning on the cpu fans on the motherboard which meant I got that part right but there was nothing going to the monitor.

I then did some research and realized from these forums that's a bios update is needed to get 56 series processors working. So I bought a 5504 Xeon processor which came today, slotted it in and the same thing. There is no visual going to the monitor. I'm also not getting beeping from the speaker

Now I'm a bit lost as to what to do.

I do have the other motherboard/setup to debugg with but I'm not sure if I should use it in case I damage it and can't sell it on. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
We just spent a week flashing up C6100 replacement MBs and realized that we needed the 55xx to get them working with the 56xx. So what I told my guys to do is to populate 1 CPU and 3 sticks of ram just to get it booted. Work on getting the machine booted. If you want to do dual CPU, you'll need RAM for both banks usually. Don't forget the heatsink, I noticed it's not on the closer CPU in the picture. But minimum ram/cpu.

James2020

Oct 14, 2015
We just spent a week flashing up C6100 replacement MBs and realized that we needed the 55xx to get them working with the 56xx. So what I told my guys to do is to populate 1 CPU and 3 sticks of ram just to get it booted. Work on getting the machine booted. If you want to do dual CPU, you'll need RAM for both banks usually. Don't forget the heatsink, I noticed it's not on the closer CPU in the picture. But minimum ram/cpu.

Hi Chuck, do you have any experience with adapting a normal ATX power supply to the custom Supermicro design?

I think I have wired mine up right but I am second guessing my work now as the 5500 Processor which came today has also not booted up after trying.

If I could confirm that the psu connector was working right I would trying debuggin on the other motherboard to see if problems lie with a faulty motherboard.