Supermicro 846 chassis & Rackable SE3016 sharing power

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

The Gecko

Jan 4, 2015
I've got a fantastic FreeNAS server based upon a Supermicro 846 chassis. It's fast, stable, and very well built, including redundant 900W 80Plus power supplies that are gold or platinum (I can't remember which). Inside is an LSI 9200 16e SAS HBA.

I also have a Rackable SE3016 16-bay SAS JBOD chassis. This chassis features a non-redundant, non-hot-swappable, non-80Plus power supply. I keep the SE3016 around for projects when I temporarily need more bays.

Here is my question: Is there a way to build a DC power line that runs from the 846 chassis into the SE3016 that isn't a fire risk and doesn't look like a hatchet-job? I know how to solder and drill and have made modifications to computer chassis before, but exporting power lines is new.

This would let me turn on/off the SE3016 along with the 846 chassis and also benefit from the redundant 80Plus features of the 846.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Seems like a bad idea to me. Why not just plug them into the same power strip and switch it on.

craneopbru

Oct 12, 2015
Seems like a bad idea to me. Why not just plug them into the same power strip and switch it on.
Well, I would think that the fact that he specifically highlighted the point that the PSU in his Supermicro Chassis has redundant 80 plus power supplies while the JBOD enclosure has neither redundant nor 80plus power would a fairly good answer to the question of "Why not just plug them into the same power strip and switch it on"

As far the answer to OP's question; It should be pretty easy to do and should pose no hazard at all.

Visit one of the pc mod sites and check out their offerings on psu extension cables. I know cablemod will sell you indiviually sleeved extension cable that are 24" in length. You could even do the extensions in two part so that you have a connector on the outside of the case so that you can unplug the JBOD enclosure without opening anything up. get some small zip ties and bundle all the wires nice and tightly and run the whole bundle inside one of those mesh cable sleeves. Make sure that you secure the bundle tightly where it comes out of one case and goes into the other for strain relief.

Also, leave the power cord plugged into the wall on the JBOD enclosure with the power supply switched off or run a wire directly connecting both chassis to ensure proper grounding in maintained.

The Gecko

Jan 4, 2015
Crane,
I think what has me stuck is the search for an appropriate DC power connector. If I were to drill/cut into the back of the Supermicro 846 chassis, I believe I would have space for just about anything, including a standard 3-prong computer-grade power cable. But what if I wanted to pass the power out through a standard PCI slot? 16 drives in the SE3016 all starting at once (or less with staggered spin-up) would pull quite a lot of amps. The narrowest plug I can think of that would support a 20-30 Amp draw is a banana plug. I would need to drill holes into a PCI slot plate; three in a row: +12v, +5v, and Ground. Banana plugs aren't traditionally locking plugs like the Neutrik Speakon connectors are, but they do hold on better than your average DC barrel jack. Banana plugs would let me use a highly flexible three conductor of 12AWG copper. ...and I think I would want a choke or noise filter on both ends.

craneopbru

Oct 12, 2015
I wouldn't bother trying to use anything other than the connectors and wiring that are already there. You don't need to run one big fat wire; you can run multiple smaller ones.

You have to see how many and what kind of connectors you have free on your supermicro power supply.

I just checked Amazon; you can get 72" cables sleeved molex extension cables for $6.00. If you have a bunch of those free, run a few of those into the rackable enclosure, cut off the excess, cut off the ends from the rackable PSU wires and solder them to your molex extensions.

The molex plugs are thin enough that they'll fit through a pci slot.

craneopbru

Oct 12, 2015
I was looking around for something unrelated and stumbled upon the solution to your problem.29341_l.jpg

I found these on NCIX for $6 CAD. Get four of them; put two in your supermicro chassis and use the bracket as a template to cut holes in your rackable enclosure an mount the plugs. Get a couple of $5 extension cables to run between the cases and Bob's your uncle.

Reactions: Kristian

The Gecko

Jan 4, 2015
I was looking around for something unrelated and stumbled upon the solution to your problem.View attachment 951

I found these on NCIX for $6 CAD. Get four of them; put two in your supermicro chassis and use the bracket as a template to cut holes in your rackable enclosure an mount the plugs. Get a couple of $5 extension cables to run between the cases and Bob's your uncle.
I've seen these before, but I was never very impressed with the quality of standard 4-pin Molex connectors, so I tried to stay away from them. I always felt like they were unreliable and not designed for more than a couple Amps; unlike Deans T-connectors or XT60 connectors, both of which are extremely low resistance and will pass enough DC current to melt your face off. :)

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Remember every extra cable / connector connection that is added to any electrical system, increase chance of issues / frustration and tears.