40Gb QSFP+ optics?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PithyChats

Feb 3, 2015
That is correct. One would need an MTP connector. IE this cable

12 Fibers MTP Fiber Cable 10G OM3 12 Standard LSZH Cable

or this one

12 Fibers MTP Trunk Cable 10G OM4 12 Standard LSZH Cable

for these transceivers.

To the best of my knowledge, the options you would need is female to female, type-B polarity. However this is based on Cisco and Arista transceivers and the assumption that Avago transceivers use the same type of MTP/MPO connector and follow the spec namely:

Detailed cable specifications for QSFP to QSFP direct connectivity

• EIA/TIA-604-05 (FOCIS-5) MTP-12 to MTP-12 cable
  • female/female
  • polarity B (1 to 12, key up/key up)

Here is a handy guide from Arista.

Arista EOS Central – MTP12 Cheat Sheet for QSFP 40G SR4 Optical Cabling

Please note that I have not actually tested this setup, but based on the datasheet, this should work.

AFBR-79EQPZ, 40 Gigabit Ethernet & InfiniBand QSFP+ Pluggable, Parallel Fiber-Optics Module (649 KB)

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Well I bought 2 sets of these. Seller took $100/ ea very quickly.
Less than $100 per 40G port (cables and optics minus switch cost)...not too shabby...not too shabby good sir! That's what we were paying for 10G 6 months to a year ago.

Ignorant ? o' the night...do these work in the QSFP ports like on a 40G gnodal switch and other 40G ethernet switch variants or also on the mellanox IB switches w/ ConnectX-3 or whatever compatible mellanox adapter would go w/ this optic or am I WAY out in left field?

PithyChats

Feb 3, 2015
Less than $100 per 40G port (cables and optics minus switch cost)...not too shabby...not too shabby good sir! That's what we were paying for 10G 6 months to a year ago.

Ignorant ? o' the night...do these work in the QSFP ports like on a 40G gnodal switch and other 40G ethernet switch variants or also on the mellanox IB switches w/ ConnectX-3 or whatever compatible mellanox adapter would go w/ this optic or am I WAY out in left field?

In general it should work with both. Gnodals are really good about lamps, as are Mellanox cards in general. Though without trying it, it is hard to say. I would be willing to test it out if the fiber weren't so pricey. You can find qsfp direct attach cables for under $20 on ebay, where this would cost around $100 for 2 lamps plus the fiber. Maybe Patrick can report back.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I was going to try them in the Quanta T3048-LY8 and T3048-LY9. At some point I hope to expand the lab in the new DC but if I do the racks will likely be located elsewhere. If that is the case, then I will want to have 40Gb interconnects between the sets of racks.

miraculix

Mar 6, 2015
The responses and links already sent are great! The different options and variations can be confusing until you narrow things down. I'm chiming in with an attempt to summarize since I've gone through 40GE cable pain in multiple environments. It's assumed you've already verified the QSFP transceiver is supported by your device.

"MPO" is industry standard, and "MTP" is trademarked, but they are 100% interchangeable with no difference. No worries if you see one or the other referenced.

Fiber jumpers between two devices (host-to-host or host-to-switch) using 40GBASE-SR4 (MPO-12) QSFP transceivers are very straightforward. Look for these in the part description:
  • Both ends MPO-12 or MTP-12 ("-12" denoting 12 fiber strands) or similar description
  • Both ends Female (the transceivers are male). You may also see "unpinned", "non-pinned" or "pinless" but this is implied with female ends
  • Both ends Type-B ("key up"). Often implied/assumed by vendors for transceiver-to-transceiver jumpers so it may not be in the description. Should be a safe assumption, but ask the seller to confirm if there's any doubt
  • OM3 or OM4 fibers

If you want to leverage existing LC MM fiber patch panel runs between 40GBASE-SR4 (MPO-12) QSFP transceivers, use MPO-12 to LC "breakout" assemblies on both sides. Look for these in the part description:
  • QSFP end is MPO-12 or MTP-12, Female end or similar description. "Unpinned" can be implied/assumed, but in this case you should confirm type-B ("key up").
  • Patch panel end is "4-LC" or similar description denoting four LC connector ends (8 fiber strands)
  • OM3 or OM4 fibers

40GBASE-CR4 (pre-terminated Twinax copper) QSFP assemblies are convenient for short distances (within a rack, or between adjacent racks) but the cables have a thick gauge and can be unwieldy. Device support for Twinax QSFP seems less common and should be verified.

40GBASE-CR4 (pre-terminated MM fiber, aka "active optical" or AOC) QSFP assemblies are also convenient for short distances (within a rack, between adjacent racks, or even across rows). You don't have to deal with the thickness of Twinax, but my personal gripe with AOC is the longest lengths are often purchased since length prices seem to differ little or not at all... so you wind up with unwieldy coils of slack fiber. Device support for Twinax QSFP seems less common and should be verified.

There are other QSFP options I'm leaving out since they are proprietary, or not as common. 40GBASE-SR-BD ("BiDi") is great since you you can run 40GE over a single LC MM connection, but there's sole provider agreement in place (cisco lock in). Not sure when it expires.

(edit forgot to include 40GE AOC)

Last edited:

miraculix

Mar 6, 2015
I was going to try them in the Quanta T3048-LY8 and T3048-LY9. At some point I hope to expand the lab in the new DC but if I do the racks will likely be located elsewhere. If that is the case, then I will want to have 40Gb interconnects between the sets of racks.
If there are existing LC MM patch panel runs between those racks, the 2nd scenario I outlined may be interesting.

There is another scenario I left out where the patch panels have MPO cassettes/harnesses. The link @badskater sent discusses this with corning example parts. The overall corning solution is sooo expensive, but probably worth it to anyone seriously looking into it ("do it once, do it right" approach). I left it out of my previous post since anyone with that scenario probably already knows what to use, or who to ask :D

Imagine when reading that and not understand fully (as I'm not a network guy, but it's a link a network guy at work sent me.) It hurts a lot. :p
You're gonna love dealing with 100GE if you're not already. It's still MPO-12 if the gear supports 100GBASE-SR4 (I haven't been so lucky yet), otherwise it's 100GBASE-SR10 and MPO-24. A little over $700 per 3M MPO-24 jumper last I checked, which isn't so bad considering.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
I hate you guys for posting that listing, I jumped in too of course, can't resist at those prices. Gotta blow those fleabay bucks anyways.

The cisco link was very informative, and holy crap MPO cables are expensive. Even the straight-from-who-knows-what-factory-in-china cables start around $100 for the first useful lengths (which is anything more than DAC runs). Definitely makes the occasional cheap active optical QSFP cables even better deals that I realized.

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
Anyone that purchased them have any feedback ?
I just received them yesterday, i had to wait the MTP cable ( 15 days at least)

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Got mine awhile back, still looking for cheaper (maybe free...) cables, but things changed and I might not even use these. They light up in my switch at least.

Honestly for longer runs, I would look at the cisco bidi qsfp transceivers. Seen some new in bag for $100 and you can use muuuuch cheaper LC cable.

Aflymanxia

Apr 30, 2021
HK
www.fibermall.com
The Avago AFBR 79EQPZ 40G QSFP module is compatible with Brocade 40G-QSFP-SR4-INT,which can achieve a 100m transmission distance over OM3 fiber with MTP/MPO connector and OM4,150m. The optical specification of Fiber Mall 40G QSFP+ SR4(only at $40/pcs) is compatible with that of Avago.
Below is the specification for your reference.
sss.png