AddOn Computer Peripherals - Anybody use them?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mike Bailey

Sep 24, 2015
New York
At my place of employment we picked up a rather large number of optics (something like 30 or 40 transceivers) that are Cisco or Brocade compatible, straight from this company. We're only using a very small portion of them (3 of them, to be exact) but they seem to work.

Anyone else have any experience with them? I took a look at their website and they seem to be one of the legitimate companies that tries to make compatible hardware for vendors like Cisco and Juniper. I don't really have much experience beyond the three that I happen to be using in a Brocade CER 2024.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Ooooh "Addon" is their name, I read the thread and was like... what company?

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Looks to me like another chinese company with questionably ethics.

An example: They make various NICs and call them "SOMEVENDOR SOMEMODEL comparable", like this one: AddOn - T520-CR-AO, that is supposed to be equivalent to a Chelsio T520-CR but uses a different chip.

Reactions: T_Minus

Mike Bailey

Sep 24, 2015
New York
Nope, no Chinese company here. Just looked them up and they are a US based business.

At least they are up front and say that it's "Intel PRO/1000 PT compatible" rather than outright lying and saying "Intel PRO/1000 PT".

I'm inclined to say they're probably one of the legitimate manufacturers for compatible hardware. I was reading some networking guy's blog who mentioned that they roughly fall into two groups: Compatible hardware that doesn't try to claim it's the real thing, or counterfeited that claims it is the real thing.

Of course, I value anyone else's opinion who has directly worked with their hardware and would love to hear about it.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
I have used their RAM in many servers. I had one stick go bad on me and the over-nighted a new one with no questions asked. The warranty dept is located here in America or they train their cs staff really really well.