Any interest in Ceph articles?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
The downside of Xeon D is no 3d GPU if you need that
Do you mean the built-in GPU like the i7 has? I only use the cpu power anyway, for GPU rendering I will need something like GTX Titan graphic card or GTX 980 Sli, the built-in cpu gpu is not good for my purpose.

But is the 45W motherboard compatible with Titan Gpu?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Got the two dedicated ceph all flash nodes installed this weekend so that is good. Testing the Xeon D-1520 board right now but then plan to get some time work on this again next week.

Reactions: Martin Jørgensen

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
The problem with NUCs and their ilk (and also Seagate's Ethernet-connected HDs) is that they're too expensive per-drive. They're cheap in absolute terms, but if they only power a single drive then they're not a good deal overall.

For example, I picked up a bunch of 2U 56xx boxes for $300 each and added a M1015 to each of them. 12 drives for $400, or a bit more with 10 GbE. Hard to beat that. From a power perspective, a Supermicro 2U chassis + a Xeon-D MB may be better, but they're not really available yet.