Need advise with a good dual port 10 gig card for Ubuntu

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

webuser1200

Oct 6, 2013
This is for a server which will be collocated at the data center. I wanted to go with solarflare but they only have rpm packages and my server is going to be ubuntu.

The application is high frequency trading. While speed is important, not at all costs. I'm looking for a good trade off between cost/price.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Intel X520-DA2's or BUST in my book!

Psst, if you need a single port 10G Intel nic I have a spare laying arnd still. It's a Intel 10GbE XF SR Server Adapter w/ built in optic. I have switch end transceiver and OM3 fiber as well if it's compat w/ your switch infra if that's of interest as well (J9150A). LOL, sorry guys, I KNOW the last day or two I have been lurking/thread jacking posts w/ 'hey take my extra sh|t posts' but I SWEAR I posted this in the FS forum a couple months back and did not garner much interest. Just throwing it out there. PM me if interested good sir, I'll likely make ya an offer ya can't refuse.

webuser1200

Oct 6, 2013
Reactions: Kristian

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Thanks for your comments. I found the following article quite interesting:

Extreme Ethernet Server Networking:10GbE, 25GbE, 40GbE & 50GbE: Four Reasons Why 10GbE NIC Design Matters

So without solarflare's on load I'm looking at 1.7 (solarflare) vs 4 (inte) micro seconds latencey. And the price is 300$ vs 900$.

I think I have my data points to figure out what the best way forward is...
You are aware that a micro second is 1/1000th of a millisecond? Worrying about the difference between 1.7 and 4 of those would only matter in the rarest of rarest circumstances. Normal network usage that's just going to be a rounding error.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
He'd need to move to QDR infiniband to beat 1.7 since it offers a 1.3 the cards are cheaper(I see some on ebay in the 50usd range) but switches are going to be expensive, and in either case aren't you limited by your datacenters connection to the outside world or am I missing something in regards to the latency side of things?

Reactions: NetWise

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I am a personal fan of Chelsio NICs. They have some of the best driver support for any OS (especially open source) and have various offerings for low latency, onboard memory, etc...