FS - The Great Purge August 2015 Edition!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
**In the processes of uploading pictures and adding descriptions, if you see something in the meantime that you want pm me with the price and we can go from there**

So I am down sizing and decommissioning most of my home cluster. It breaks my heart to do so but due to a recent promotion I am not finding the time to use it as much as I previously did. That and my wife and I are having our first baby! So that the baby has a place to sleep I am going to clear about 10u worth of space so the kid and nestle up on top of the upses but below the SAN (don't want poop to get on the ssds). Bahaha, Just kidding!

So with out further ado lets get the party started. I will try and list both full systems and itemized parts. I would rather sell a full system vs parting it out, but doesn't really matter in the end.

Payment methods: PayPal gift or PayPal business transaction if you feel more comfortable but you the buyer will be paying for transaction fee and percentage PayPal charges (1.9 or 2.9% I don't remember off the top of my head)

**I would really appreciate it if I got this stuff sold sooner rather than later so please feel free and give me your best offer and I will try my best to make it work**
Items:

- 3x LB4M with 4x 10gb cx4 ports - $100ea. I have modified one of the switches with a fan controller and would be willing to do it to the others cheaply, but the control knob can make one of these screamers quite enough to leave on the table next to you.
4 x c6100 Motherboards - $125 - Comes with both heatsinks and the metal trays.

10+ l5520 cpus - $7.50

Lsi 9205-8e - 1x - $95ea
Lsi 9300-16e - 3x - $375ea
Lsi-9300-8e - 2x - $240ea

-Intel JBOD2224S2DP 2U Rack Dual 460W - $750 - This is a dual port sas expander Jbod 24x 2.5" chassis. This was being used with 24 sas ssds in HA with SOFS in server 2012r2, it works great and with 24 drives it was extremely fast. It has dual 36 port sas expanders and the host swap bays work with dual port sas drives and single port sata drives.

- 24x crucial m550 256gb - $80ea - less than 150 hours of use, per smart info, I ran some tests on these then got nvme fever and ran out of time to test or even deploy them. This was an expensive falsestart project, but hey good for anyone wanting a great price on some fast ssds

-Lots of jbod accessories and cables...this section may take some time since there is alot, feel free and ask in the mean while. The SC216 that the jbod parts were in is not for sale yet, I havent determined if I will use this again or not.

6x supermicro low profile 8088 to 8087 brackets and cables - $40ea
2x supermicro jbod controller board ptjbod-cb1 - $30ea
2x pwm fan controllers - $35ea

- Lsi 9202-16e - 6x - $140 - I had one of these in the c6100s and a ConnectX-2 VPI card in each of the c6100s. It made one heck of a SOFS cluster. I bought these based on this review done by and they did not disappoint. Just as an fyi I made two full height brackets, but these came with half height brackets. The two full height brackets are going to be given on a first come first serve basis, after that they will come with just the half height brackets.

- Dell Connectx-2 VPI 40gb infiniband/10gb ethernet mezzanine cards - flashed to work with smb direct -8x -$100 - I have a number of these that I have left over after selling two other c6100s I sold a while back, again these things are awesome and extremely fast, it really raises the bar in terms of performance with the c6100s.

- PCI-E 8x riser card - Supermicro part # RSC-RR1U-E8 - $10ea - I have two of these, I no longer need these since I am not using my 1u chassis.

-Two port sff-8088 to sff-8087 - $10 - this one is a little more pretty than the 3 port version.

-3-port sff-8088 to internal sff-8087 - $10 - I did screw up the pci bracket somewhat...it still works but its a bit ugly on the top

- HD-PVR - $50 - was using this with the HTPC...Acutally I purchased it for a dvr vm but realized after the purchase I couldn't pass usb into the hyper-v vm....So I never actually used it.

Last edited:

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Firstly, You need to use the proceeds on a better camera before your baby.
Second, please do not tell me those are 10g base-t switches...

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
Yeah, I know what you mean, the camera on my nexus 4 is definitely not a DSLR! I wish those were 10g base-t switches, but they are not. They are the LB4Ms with the 4x 10gb cx4 ports on them. Just found out they idle around 65 watts per my kill-a-watt and with the fans turned down can get as low as 61 watts. Someone just asked and I thought I would share. I have one of the three switches modified with a fan controler and it really helps with the noise. I can cheaply replicate this for the other switches if needed/wanted by the buyer.

As a side note I like the cx4 models, of the LB4M, better due to cheaper cabling from connectx-2 vpi to 10gb cx4 ports. qsfp to cx4 cables are super cheap. That and its pretty darn simple and cheap to set up 1-4 nodes with 1GB/s or more transfer speeds with connectx-2 vpi cards and these switches. You can always get all three and do what I did and run 3 10gbit connectx-2 cards with 1 connection to each switch and from 4 nodes and hit 3GB/s from each node to the other with Server2012r2. Going from qsfp to sfp+ is tricky and more expensive....sorry end of tanget :)

Oh, and this is the reason for parting ways with these fantastic switches....cisco nexus n3k-3064, the silver bottom one not the infiniband switch on top, but that too.

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
Okay you must have some secret but how the heck are you handling the noise and heat of the Nexus in a home lab? Drool worthy for sure!

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
Okay you must have some secret but how the heck are you handling the noise and heat of the Nexus in a home lab? Drool worthy for sure!
Well here is how I handle all the heat from all this stuff!

Dedicated return in a private room on the distal end on my second story (just reread what I wrote, kinda made is sound like my house is some sort of scrooge mcduckian manor! It most definatly is not) of my house. It was a oddly shaped laundry room and decided that my tech need the space more than the washer and dryer so i moved those downstair. The room is in shambles due to the disassembly for this sell off, but here are the racks and the room has a solid core door. So sound wise you only hear a little hum from down stairs if it is really quite.

The end goal is to do something like what I did with my theater and put dual solid core door with seals. Which create a very very quite room. Here is what that looks like.

There are a few other tricks for sound proofing/damping that I will be implementing including building cabinets around the two remaining racks out of the three I currently have.

Reactions: coolrunnings82

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Are your connect x2 VPI cards still available? Interested in all 4 if price and shipping negotiable

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
I will be updating this tonight after I wrap up some work. Again sorry for the delay.