Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

raiderj

Dec 27, 2014
So far my setup is working just fine, I haven't seen any temps that are too high, although I don't like ~60.

Any recommendations on a case? The best I've found so far (IMO) is this one: ARK IPC-1.5U1525 Black Server Case - Newegg.com

If you can "bifurcate" the PCI-e slot, then according to the reviews that case now comes with 2x slots (unlike what the pictures show). It supports SFX power supplies and standard I/O plates. I'd personally like to have hotswap bays for 2.5" hard drives.... but the price would certainly go up. I think the fans could be swapped for some better/quieter 4-pin ones, then maybe the speed could be controlled by the BIOS and spun up only if temps rose.

dcb

Jul 10, 2015
Is the heatsink and/or fan replaceable on the TLN4F? It's a little bit loud for being in a quite room. It looks like the fan is riveted into the heatsink, but there are screws on each corner of the heatsink. It appears to be a 50mm fan, the marking on the side of the heatsink is "SNK-C0057A4L". Google searches for FCBGA1667 heatsinks came up empty, I understand this is a bit of a long shot given that this is not a socketed CPU, but it seems like at least the fan should be replaceable with something quieter.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Is the heatsink and/or fan replaceable on the TLN4F? It's a little bit loud for being in a quite room. It looks like the fan is riveted into the heatsink, but there are screws on each corner of the heatsink. It appears to be a 50mm fan, the marking on the side of the heatsink is "SNK-C0057A4L". Google searches for FCBGA1667 heatsinks came up empty, I understand this is a bit of a long shot given that this is not a socketed CPU, but it seems like at least the fan should be replaceable with something quieter.
I have thought about trying this. Looks similar to the C2000 series fans I have. I do not think it is a widely available size. One option is to trade someone with a -F version of the board who wants the fan. Then use chassis fans to cool the heatsink. Another option (and the one I have been thinking about) is to use thermal tape to secure a fan on the package. Neither are recommended but some ideas.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I wish the next gen would already be rushed out so these will drop in price, I have a nice mITX case with hot swaps waiting for a powerful beast like this :)

AmshTemp

May 28, 2015
A question For those having the new 10G NIC x552/x557:
According to Intel slides, those 10G NICs support DCB. However, there is no mention of FCoE in it.
So, do they it support FCoE? ( for example, you can boot a PC with x520 NIC or x540 NIC from FCoE)?

You can see the following PDF from Intel on how to find out:
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...et-for-ethernet-server-adapter-x520-brief.pdf

*Note*
I checked the open source code of intel drivers and I can see that FCoE has been added to x550 NICs, but I'm not sure if it also applies to D-1540 platform.

jasonlitka

Jun 24, 2015
My 3 boxes should be delivered tomorrow. It's about time too, the SSDs and RAM have been sitting on my desk for the past couple weeks tormenting me.

I guess I'll need to go back to trying to get that driver to compile...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just to add light. I did get a briefing on two offerings (not from Supermicro) that still do not have an official release date/ pricing, but I have mid-August as a likely point. I asked and cannot release details just yet but I did request to do so as soon as possible. Will keep the thread updated.

jasonlitka

Jun 24, 2015
Just to add light. I did get a briefing on two offerings (not from Supermicro) that still do not have an official release date/ pricing, but I have mid-August as a likely point. I asked and cannot release details just yet but I did request to do so as soon as possible. Will keep the thread updated.
It's about time someone else added to the product selection. Maybe that will get Intel, VMWare, or some other OEM working on the network drivers...

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Update: the Xeon D CPU available on Amazon goes from 1 to 2, both the 1520 and 1540 are showing up for August delivery now.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Patrick, are any of these offerings mATX? while I like the small form factors for many things. sometimes the perfect size is mATX or FlexATX.

Chris

Reactions: MiniKnight