Issue with M1015 and Supermicro Backplane

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sonicz

May 21, 2013
Hi All

Problems with my new server, seem to never end :)

I have a M1015 flashed to 9211-8i in IT mode with firmware 15.00.00.00-IT. Connected to backplane in my SC846.

When I boot without the cables plugged in there is no issues. When I plug the cables the controller takes FOREVER to find the disk (often it just keeps searching). But when it sometimes finally find them and I boot up. I can see the disks in ubuntu. But can't get information, access them and so on.

Tried changing my settings on my X9DR3-F from legacy to UEFI only on pci settings. But then it just don't see the Card on boot up.

I can't find any old posts on Google regarding this, but hope someone on this epic forum, has a great idea on solving this?

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
If you're in IT mode you can disable OptionROM on that PCI-E slot and bypass that process.

Otherwise, I would reset your BIOS to defaults and try a different PCI-E slot.

FWIW, I have two chassis with the exact same configuations, one with v1 CPUs and one with v2 CPUs.

Reactions: T_Minus

neo

Mar 18, 2015
When I flashed a 9211-8i to IT mode I erased the OptionROM completely and only left the firmware.

Reactions: T_Minus

sonicz

May 21, 2013
If you're in IT mode you can disable OptionROM on that PCI-E slot and bypass that process.

Otherwise, I would reset your BIOS to defaults and try a different PCI-E slot.

FWIW, I have two chassis with the exact same configuations, one with v1 CPUs and one with v2 CPUs.
Which option is that exactly? - I mean where can it be disabled in the BIOS?

sonicz

May 21, 2013
Alright I have tried resetting to default, disabling OptionROM and tried both legacy and UEFI only.

When OptionROM is disabled, it proceeds with loading esxi, but get stuck at loading mpt2sas module.

The only thing happening (like when OptionROM is used), the LED's on the disks are blinking a couple of times and then nothing.

sonicz

May 21, 2013
SOLVED: Pulled everydisk out and plugged one in at a time and found that one of the disks (despite of good smart data) prevented the controller starting correct.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
SOLVED: Pulled everydisk out and plugged one in at a time and found that one of the disks (despite of good smart data) prevented the controller starting correct.
this is weird
I know P19 IT i has no issue on most time

if you are using linux, 9240 linux kernel module is better than 9211...
9240 sets unconfigured drives as pure JBOD on my experience and combine with MegaCLI.. you are in heaven :p