Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jasonlitka

Jun 24, 2015
can anyone recommend a place to buy the 1540 that has it in stock?
No one has them. The story WiredZone gave me is that SuperMicro is only building a few per day and are currently sitting on 90+ back orders.

The three systems I ordered from them came with an estimate of "mid July". My 32GB DIMMs should be here tomorrow.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
JimPhreak were you ever able to get the Samsung SM951 to boot with the x10sdv? I am trying to install it now and although I can get it to boot from a UEFI usb stick and install Server 2012 r2 to the m.2 drive, it will not boot. The bios never sees it no matter what I do....

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Riser Card Knowledge required....
Supermicro advise (see below) the X10SDV-TLN4F can take a riser card to have 2@ x8 PCIe Gen 3 slots, to facilitate further options until other board come with different mixes of slot.. Now which riser will do the trick per SM comments below.....???

Yes! PCIe Bifurication is supported in the latest BIOS on our website [.527]. However, you will need to source your own riser card that can provide additional clock to support multiple PCIe devices.
Regards, Supermicro
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Morning,
On the X10SDV-TLN4F is it possible for the single PCIe x16 Gen3 Slot take a riser with 2@ x8 slots?
And if possible which supermicro riser is the one to use?
Thank You for Your TIME and support.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
They mention "latest bios on our website (.527)" but that is still revision 1.0a.... so that is just what shipped with it, i.e. the first bios, right? Unless the .527 is a revision step within the 1.0a spec?

Kal G

Oct 29, 2014
JimPhreak were you ever able to get the Samsung SM951 to boot with the x10sdv? I am trying to install it now and although I can get it to boot from a UEFI usb stick and install Server 2012 r2 to the m.2 drive, it will not boot. The bios never sees it no matter what I do....
I ran into similar issues with the BIOS not seeing the SM951. Ended up booting ESXi off USB and using the M.2 as a datastore.

Riser Card Knowledge required....
Supermicro advise (see below) the X10SDV-TLN4F can take a riser card to have 2@ x8 PCIe Gen 3 slots, to facilitate further options until other board come with different mixes of slot.. Now which riser will do the trick per SM comments below.....???
I'm not sure what version they're referring to with .527. I can confirm that 1.0a has options for PCIe bifurcation support.

As for the riser, I have a 16 lane to two 8 lane riser that I can test on it this evening.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
Yeah that is really too bad. I only bought the 951 because I wanted it as the boot drive.

The support I got on the phone told me only to change the PCI-e setting to EFI and leave the rest alone and boot from windows boot manager. I guess that means leave the boot mode in Legacy or dual? As I said above, horrible Supermicro support -- ignorant and no desire to help at all.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I'd get the AHCI version for a boot drive. Trying to deal with NVMe boot sucks just about everywhere. BIOS/ EFI sucks. OS support sucks. It's getting better but I'd still prefer not dealing with that.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I ran into similar issues with the BIOS not seeing the SM951. Ended up booting ESXi off USB and using the M.2 as a datastore.

I'm not sure what version they're referring to with .527. I can confirm that 1.0a has options for PCIe bifurcation support.

As for the riser, I have a 16 lane to two 8 lane riser that I can test on it this evening.
Kal G, good luck with the test, look forward to Your results..

Kal G

Oct 29, 2014
PCIe bifurcation worked well. Just enable the setting in the BIOS. In this case I used legacy mode.

For reference, the riser I used is the ARC1-PELY423. I've also seen this card listed with the model number GH-PELY423.

I utilized two HP ConnectX-2 (single port) cards for the test. The cards were recognized by both the BIOS (showed up under boot priorities) and in ESXi 6.0.

I didn't encounter any issues having an M.2 card installed during the test.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
PCIe bifurcation worked well. Just enable the setting in the BIOS. In this case I used legacy mode.

For reference, the riser I used is the ARC1-PELY423. I've also seen this card listed with the model number GH-PELY423.

I utilized two HP ConnectX-2 (single port) cards for the test. The cards were recognized by both the BIOS (showed up under boot priorities) and in ESXi 6.0.

I didn't encounter any issues having an M.2 card installed during the test.
Kal G, Fabulous, placing my order for the board this week and looking for the riser cards now.
Thank YOU PGH

AmshTemp

May 28, 2015
Interesting, Kal G.
This motherboard gets interesting each day.

Can you pass-through these 8x cards slots "individually" or you have to pass the whole thing?

raiderj

Dec 27, 2014
I picked up the non-10GB board from SuperBiiz, and then two 32GB sticks of RAM. So far the board runs great, booted up with the memory and I have ESXi 6.0 running without issue. Only concern is the heatsink over the CPU gets hot, around 60 degrees with a 120mm case fan blowing on it from the side of the case. Not sure what options I have for direct cooling, but I may go that route.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
They should have put cooling on the cpu heatsink. Mine would freeze in the bios until I hung a 120mm fan by zip ties through its mounting holes and through the grate at the top of my Nonoxia case. So now that fan is blowing directly on the heatsink and ram and all is good.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
They should have put cooling on the cpu heatsink. Mine would freeze in the bios until I hung a 120mm fan by zip ties through its mounting holes and through the grate at the top of my Nonoxia case. So now that fan is blowing directly on the heatsink and ram and all is good.
I agree. Too bad they didn't do that on all of the boards. In a 1U it's ok with case fans that are quiet.