Looking for advice on a case for SSDs and HDDs.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HotFix

May 20, 2015
Silver Spring MD
blogs.technet.com
Does anyone have any recommendations for a quiet yet efficient XEON E5 v3 CPU fan that will fit under the SC846's air shroud? I'm going to start looking at Noctua, but I have read recently that the SWiF2 fans are pretty good as well.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
No point in wasting $ or time.

Get the SuperMicro 4U Active HSF and be done :) I run those on all my 846s, cheap, efficient, and readily available. Can't even tell it's on with the 846 chassis fans, and even with it open you can't hear it unless it goes to >70% power.

Reactions: HotFix

HotFix

May 20, 2015
Silver Spring MD
blogs.technet.com
No point in wasting $ or time.

Get the SuperMicro 4U Active HSF and be done :) I run those on all my 846s, cheap, efficient, and readily available. Can't even tell it's on with the 846 chassis fans, and even with it open you can't hear it unless it goes to >70% power.
I think the SNK-P0050AP4 is the one you are referring to:
SUPERMICRO SNK-P0050AP4 Accessories - Newegg.com
That's based on:
http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/brochure/x10_HeatSink_Compatibility.pdf

Neo in a different post that if I was using an air shroud, which is supposed to ship with the Sc846, I should only need a fanless heatsink. Checking this site it looks like it would need the SNK-P0048Ps heatsink as that is the narrow one:
SUPERMICRO SNK-P0048PS 2U Passive CPU Heatsink for LGA2011 - Newegg.com

Using a passive heatsink in a home built computer is just foreign to me. I guess I don't need it though with the air shroud as I guess that is the whole purpose.

Man this is just one detail after another. It's all fun to learn but it's like trying to swallow a Whopper sandwich whole. :D

Reactions: coolrunnings82

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Neo in a different post that if I was using an air shroud, which is supposed to ship with the Sc846, I should only need a fanless heatsink. Checking this site it looks like it would need the SNK-P0048Ps heatsink as that is the narrow one:
SUPERMICRO SNK-P0048PS 2U Passive CPU Heatsink for LGA2011 - Newegg.com
I just actually installed that same heatsink in a SC836 with an air shroud. Will probably update my build thread with it's photo in a day or two installed.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Sorry, I missed the air shroud part :) Personally, I like the 4U HS with a Fan myself, lets the rest run quieter it seems.

HotFix

May 20, 2015
Silver Spring MD
blogs.technet.com
I just actually installed that same heatsink in a SC836 with an air shroud. Will probably update my build thread with it's photo in a day or two installed.
Low and behold there is an actual manual for the air shroud:
http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/MCP-310-48003-0N.pdf
On one hand I really have a lot of respect now for Supermicro and the level of detail they pay to everything. On the other hand I wish the air shroud was basic enough it didn't need a manual (wow...).

What I don't know is what condition mine will come in. It looks like there are some bits that can be added/removed, and if they send me one that has those parts removed I might need to abandon it (I guess I should have known to ask) and go with the active cooler.

Thanks T_Minus and Neo for all this extended help/advice.

Reactions: neo

neo

Mar 18, 2015
What I don't know is what condition mine will come in. It looks like there are some bits that can be added/removed, and if they send me one that has those parts removed I might need to abandon it (I guess I should have known to ask) and go with the active cooler.
For what it's worth, my SC836 did not come with a air shroud. I purchased it separately (new) and it came with all the options.

Personally, if a case is designed to be used with an air shroud I try to stick to that.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I think I may have a shroud or 2 i'm not using, I'll check for you.

I have seen them on ebay for $20+ too.

HotFix

May 20, 2015
Silver Spring MD
blogs.technet.com
The case showed up today and the air shroud looks brand new so that's awesome. :)

Aside form being used and not *perfect* which I am ok with, the only two things that I am following up on is buying screws for the drive trays (done) and looking to see if I can get some replacement rubber grommets for the 2 ovalish holes under the 3 "front" case fans. So far I can't find a part number for the rubber grommets and my BingFu is apparently weak in finding replacements if there are any. If anyone knows what the part number for those is and/or where to buy replacements, please let me know.

I also need to get a power splitter for the 2 x 2.5" SSDs I will be installing and the DVD drive. Microcenter should have something for that when I get to it.

It came with a 2 x 2.5" drive tray so I didn't need to buy the one I bought a couple of days ago. D'oh! :)

Otherwise I am pretty happy with the case so far (and grateful to the guidance to get it), but I have yet to put everything in it and fire it up. Parts are still on order although I got the last of them tonight (the screws and a SFF-8643 to SFF-8087 cable which I think will be compatible since its from LSI the company who makes the expander chips and the motherboard's onboard SAS controller).

Thanks again!

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Post of photo of the rubber grommets, preferably where they are in the case.

HotFix

May 20, 2015
Silver Spring MD
blogs.technet.com
Here is the picture of the two rubber grommets (or whatever you call them):
IMG_20150610_101930.jpg
As you can see the right one is missing pieces and one of the flaps fell off (and is laying under the right hand cable) as I was inspecting the case last night.

HotFix

May 20, 2015
Silver Spring MD
blogs.technet.com
I am finally installing my X10SRH-CLN4F motherboard into my SC846 today and I ran into a snag/area of concern. My motherboard has a 20 pin front panel connector, but the SC846 has a 16 pin connector and cable. I looked in the SC846 manual and it says I need to get a 20 pin to 16 pin cable (part # CBL-0048) because that is the "compatible cable".

Does anyone know if I really need this yet another part? Or can I get away plugging in my 16 pin cable into the motherboard and just miss out on having the NMI button jumper "available" (which I don't think would work anyway since I don't think there is a NMI button on the case).

And for the record I am not a slacker - I had one motherboard show up used and damaged off of Ebay, and the second motherboard came in from Newegg with the bag of moisture control rocks exploded all over it. I'm on my 3rd times the charm motherboard now which came in yesterday. :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Hmmm. I know that the 846 plugs into my 2011-E5-v3 motherboard but I don't use all the pins, I forget which part isn't in use and won't be able to get a look for a ~week.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I can't comment on your specific case, but I've setup countless Supermicro motherboards and never plugged anything onto the NMI header pins.