Supermicro 4u 24 bay chassis with SAS2 expander

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The second one arrived today. It did indeed include a X8DTE-F MOBO, 2 passive heatsinks and an Adaptec 5805 w/512mb and battery. The backplane is an SAS1. It also came with 2 900w PSUs and all 24 drive caddies. It was well packed and in excellent condition. At $265 and $43.16 shipping, I'd say it's not a bad deal. I would have preferred an SAS2 backplane but I'm not complaining.

Windows loaded without a hitch. I seem to have a problem with IPMI, doesn't respond and doesn't get an ip via DHCP but I'll sort that out along the way.

And btw, the blue LEDs are on when a a drive bay is occupied, unlike the other one.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
And btw, the blue LEDs are on when a a drive bay is occupied, unlike the other one.
Yep, from what i gathered from SM support (and they even checked with a higher up tech and called me back 2 days later), the behaviour of the Blue LED on SM backplanes is totally set / dependant upon the Firmware that supermicro has installed on the backplane. There is no jumper nor setting, nor type of HDD that can change the default / act of the BLUE LED.

So essentially you are stuck with whatever your SM backplane does by default and there is no way to change the LED behavior. However as is clear from the many replies in the past 2 pages, the Default position for the LED differs greatly by backplane model number. (i was hoping ppl who replied would have included their exact backplane model number). to recap here is my experience:

BPN-SAS1-846EL1 (expander) - With drive in slot: LED OFF / LED ILLUMINATES BASED ON ACT LOAD

BPN-SAS1-846EL2 (expander w/ redundant ports) - With drive in slot: LED OFF / LED ILLUMINATES BASED ON ACT LOAD

BPN-SAS1-846TQ ( 24 x sata/sas direct attached so SAS1/2/3 speed does not matter / apply) - With drive in slot: LED OFF / LED ILLUMINATES BASED ON ACT LOAD

BPN-SAS1-846A ( 6 x sff8087 direct attached so SAS1/2/3 speed does not matter / apply) - With drive in slot: LED ON / LED FLICKER/DIMs ON ACT (at full act, blue LED is barely visible)

I have / have tried TONS of different SATA / SAS / SSD drives on the above BPs over the years and have never once found one that changes / alters the default BLUE led setting. (i have seen issues where a bad / weird drive wont light the LED up at all, even with ACT but on drives like these the same is true on any of the backplanes its inserted too).

so IMO , it has nothing to do with the actual drive / HBA / Raid card, its entirely programmed into the Backplane Firmware, and there is nothing we can do to change it ( and SM support confirmed this to me)

I have seen various level of success getting SGPIO to work with the DRIVE LOCATE feature , via either a sff8087 (w no break out, bc the breakout is integrated into the 8087 cable) OR via a fully broken out Sideband cable. but this never affects the LED default or LED activity on drive activity, just when you issue the LOCATE command.

:(

Reactions: Eta_Carinae

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
Great source of information concerning this chassis.

I would like to give my thoughts referring to this post and I hope nobody will be offended.
Would it be possible to create a new thread in the chassis and enclosure section where we can copy and paste this information and continue the discussion?

Because everytime I see a new post in THIS thread my heart jumps and is in expectation of a great deal, so that perhaps I can get lucky and call myself a member of the CSE 846 / SC 846 club as well.
And everytime I am a bit disappointed that it is now news concerning a great deal, but information I would like to see in the chassis enclosure section.

Again: I do not mean to offend anybody. Just my thoughts.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Does anyone know a seller that sells this case with the backplane that supports all LEDs on when a drive is installed?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Does anyone know a seller that sells this case with the backplane that supports all LEDs on when a drive is installed?
I want to find the 12Gb/s backplane for the 846, something tells me it will cost as much as the 846 on ebay :D LOL

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Hah, yeah, I think I googled one of the backplanes with LED always on and it was like 450 bucks, pfft..

I'm curious about these chassis, with the most standard backplane, EL1. They're SAS expanders so would basically any RAID controller that supports up to 24 drives work? Meaning I could use a 9650SE-24m8? And do I only need to plug in one cable from the SAS to the backplane even though that raid card has 3 ports?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Pretty much :) Make sure you get a SAS2 backplane though, some sellers swap them out for you, others already include it, others don't mention it... pay attention to that :D

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
What's the primary benefit of SAS 1 vs SAS 2? AFAIK no spinning disk can saturate either rated speed can they?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Not at once, by one user. But that's not what you're doing right :D :D

neo

Mar 18, 2015
What's the primary benefit of SAS 1 vs SAS 2? AFAIK no spinning disk can saturate either rated speed can they?
Keep in mind there are SAS SSDs.

I want to find the 12Gb/s backplane for the 846, something tells me it will cost as much as the 846 on ebay :D LOL
I was tempted to get the SAS3 backplane for my SC836, but I was quoted almost 2 times more then what I paid for the case.

Reactions: T_Minus

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I just swapped out the Adaptec 5808 that came with mine for an IBM 1015. Now the LEDs are only on when there's HD activity. I also had to swap out the SAS cables because the originals were too short. The cables I used were not SM cables so that may have something to do with it.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Okay, so i got my chassi. And im considering if it might be worth it to look for the SAS2 6GB/s backplane.

Would I be able to swap out the backplane in my SC846TQ-R900 for a backplane with SAS2 ?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Yes, you can swap them and it should fit. The teardown/swap/rebuild is a bit of a PITA, but unless your chassis is really really old vintage it can be done.

However, in the weird economics of the used marketplace you'll probably pay less to just get a chassis with the right backplane - the backplanes by themselves are hard to source at good prices.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
What sort of performance increase can one expect to gain by replacing the backplane?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Performance improvement going from a TQ (individual connectors) to a SAS-2 expander backplane? None at all. In a purely theoretical sense it would be a performance decrease - but in all practical and likely use cases you probably couldn't measure any difference...and you certainly won't notice.

The advantage is being able to drive the whole backplane from a single HBA and a massive improvement in cabling.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
Has anyone been able to contact the original seller of these systems, certifiedservers? I've sent a message via eBay on this listing and via their email address that was posted on this board and I haven't heard back from them. Both times I asked if they would be able to include rails to match the original offer, but I haven't heard anything.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I never had problems discussing issues with them via e-mail.