1U Intel redundant PSU, 12x gigabit 64GB E5-2690 v2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Yeah - 1 CPU. Anything else obvious you want to point out?

At the current bit its running below the used value of that one CPU - for a quality 1U rackmount chassis, 64GB DDR3, MB, PSUs, a couple of 2TB enterprise drives and a decent SSD. I agree with MiniKnight - if it goes below $2k its a very good deal. With no bids so far and a day left it might go a lot lower than that.

I am curious what the original owner was doing with all that Network on a box like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: legopc and neo

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am curious what the original owner was doing with all that Network on a box like this.
Maybe he just really wanted lots of network cables?

I agree though, really nice deal at the current price.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Yeah - 1 CPU. Anything else obvious you want to point out?
What did I do to deserve the passive aggressive tone mr PigLover?
If you have a problem with me message me I'll be happy to address any of your issues privately.

This looks like a steal if you can get it under 2k: Intel R1304JP40C E5 2690V2 3 0GHz 10 Core 64GB DDR3 1600 160GB SSD 2X2TB WD HD | eBay procs are still good and lots of NICs.
I pointed it out because the original poster said PROCS, there are not PROCS there is a SINGLE CPU.

So yes, it's listed but I wanted to make sure others SEE IT.

Sorry if my information was not to your approval...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
TBH @T_Minus I think you are right that the "s" might have been slightly confusing (listed in title, link and listing as 1 processor though). Seems like a bit of overkill on the bold/ underline. I would certainly say @MiniKnight found a potentially great deal here.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
At no point did I ever make any statements regarding the validation of this deal. I'm not going to "Defend" what I said, as I see 0 problem with it, and you can "think" all you want about what was said and what I said, but at no point did I make opinions or statements about the original poster, or his content I simply pointed something out.

I'm perplexed how you "think" that may be confusing. He said "procs" with a s, he then said "are" instead of is. English dictates what he said indicated multiple processors. I shouldn't have to defend myself to the site owner when what I said was 100% true, and clarification.

I'm sorry the clarification post pissed you all off.

I'm going to really slim down my posting. Sorry to upset you all so much.

The deal is great at this price and what was suggested.

I use bold and underline,etc... to call attention to IMPORTANT things. Sorry if that pisses you off, it's not e-mail and since it was listed as "PROCS" I thought it important to make it very clear before people started bidding w/out reading. (You know we've all done this!! LOL)

Last edited:

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
FWIW I didn't notice the procs when I read. As I read the 2nd post with bold/ underline I thought @T_Minus had a bone to pick with @MiniKnight

maybe others had the same reaction?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
All I gotta say is this is funny :-D Go out for a evening of night fishing and I miss all this...Chillax my fellow STH'ers...water off a ducks back...I luv you all! hah

Reactions: legopc and T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
@Pig - I wasn't aware that your misunderstanding of the situation/tone/intention was my fault, or grounds for a snide remark. As a moderator I wouldn't have ever expected something like that from you.

I bold and underlined your name so you would know I'm talking to you, don't get offended please. :D :D

Last edited:

HotFix

May 20, 2015
Silver Spring MD
blogs.technet.com
The last time I designed and built enterprise Hyper-V clusters, I used 10 NICs as we didn't have 10GB.
Everything was deployed in redundant pairs because of redundant switches and the network team's requirement of being able to take down a switch at a moments notice. The port breakdown worked like this:
2xNIC for the dedicated host "management" team. This is where management, monitoring, occasional VM backups, and SCVMM library pulls occured.
2xNIC for the dedicated guest network team. Multiple VLANs were supported.
2xNIC for the shared cluster network. This is where love migrations between hosts occured as well as normal cluster communications between clustered machines (including VMs as this network was shared).
2xNIC for the shared iSCSI network. This is what connected the hosts tot heir CSVs, and connected the occasional VM to its iSCSI LUNs.
2xNIC for the dedicated DMZ network access for guests. We had Lync Edge servers and they needed to be hooked up to the DMZ switches somehow.

I'm looking at this server config, I can totally see how they got to their config of they had needs and requirements like I did. And yes I know I probably over engineered things, but I had to are sure the deployment was successful.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
The last time I designed and built enterprise Hyper-V clusters, I used 10 NICs as we didn't have 10GB.
Everything was deployed in redundant pairs because of redundant switches and the network team's requirement of being able to take down a switch at a moments notice. The port breakdown worked like this:
2xNIC for the dedicated host "management" team. This is where management, monitoring, occasional VM backups, and SCVMM library pulls occured.
2xNIC for the dedicated guest network team. Multiple VLANs were supported.
2xNIC for the shared cluster network. This is where love migrations between hosts occured as well as normal cluster communications between clustered machines (including VMs as this network was shared).
2xNIC for the shared iSCSI network. This is what connected the hosts tot heir CSVs, and connected the occasional VM to its iSCSI LUNs.
2xNIC for the dedicated DMZ network access for guests. We had Lync Edge servers and they needed to be hooked up to the DMZ switches somehow.

I'm looking at this server config, I can totally see how they got to their config of they had needs and requirements like I did. And yes I know I probably over engineered things, but I had to are sure the deployment was successful.
Yea, that's definitely the default Hyper-V 2008 R2 way with that many NICs =)

Reactions: HotFix

masterofdisaster

Feb 26, 2015
The number of NIC's might mean it was a probably a Riverbed or similar network appliance in its previous life. The orange hard drive tabs rather than the default Intel teal colored tabs would also lead me to believe it was in some sort of OEM/appliance type application.

HotFix

May 20, 2015
Silver Spring MD
blogs.technet.com
LOL, nice someone let M$ in on the 802.1q secret and vSwitches teehehe
I think you missed the part where I mentioned the dedicated guest NICs used multiple VLANs.;)

We could have combined the host and guest NICS since they were plugged into the same switches, but I was playing it safe. In all honesty I'm glad we broke them out as I got to see the different network utilization characteristics of the host versus the guest traffic that we might not have seen easily otherwise.

The other NICs went to different iSCSI and DMZ switches, so they had to be physically separate.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
NICE SCORE!!!! Get some of that 128gb DDR3 and call it ad day!