Do you DC?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Does anyone here participate in any of the many distributed computing projects?

Thinking about starting up a team for STH. I already participate in the HardOCP team.
It is a fun community building thing to do that promotes the advancement of the sciences.

I have folded for years but got weary of the politics of the project and mainly contribute to projects under the Boinc umbrella.

Reactions: Patrick

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
I have folded for years and I personally don't care about the politics, largely because politics is usually what you get when you have a lot of people really caring about a cause. That said I can emphasise with those who are weary of the politics. My own position is that half of PGs difficulties/faults probably arise from how enthusiastic and dedicated the folding community is, and the other half is probably due to the speed at which the science moves. Both of which on the other side of the coin are also FAH's ultimate strength.

As a research scientist and a donor I can usually see from both sides why the tension exists and how difficult it is to create the perfect balance. So I fold where I can, often in the beta/internal sphere. The internal sphere I find most interesting now, and I forgo a lot of spare time and points helping out there.

I started with SETI, as many did, but my time involved with BOINC would number in the tens of days.

William

May 7, 2015
I WCG at Xtremesystems, but at the moment my machines are off, to much heat in the room right now, plus I need to get these racked up.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I did some protien folding way back in the day, but haven't been involved in any of those projects in quite a while now. Happy to toss a few Mhz at STH if theres a team setup for something though.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Used to run WCG at XS for years, but haven't been able to run it for 2 years now. Electricity is too expensive and there haven't been GPU WUs since beta :/

William

May 7, 2015
It's been awhile that you have posted over there s0lid.

But yes, I agree about power use. I was pulling about 1,200watts there for awhile but generating 70,000+ a day. I guess that's good ...

jseba

Aug 31, 2014
Rolla, MO
I used to do F@H on my (now aging) GTX580 a couple years ago. But that was only because I was paying a flat rate for utilities at the time.

Reactions: Patriot

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
The focus on idle efficiency really hammered folding.

At 26c/KWH during the winter months (MA) I scale right back. I then run flat out, except when it's too hot (as we don't run AC)s, until winter rates kick back in.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think @Patriot remembers my days as what a top 10 folding@home contributor? Then started paying more for electricity. If I did again it would be in a DC.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Why does "SETI @HOME" ring a bell, is that old or is that still done or did I make that up?

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I used to do F@H on my (now aging) GTX580 a couple years ago. But that was only because I was paying a flat rate for utilities at the time.
That was when I was running harbringer... was 20F outside, and I was running the AC to keep that beast cool. Flat rate power with 4 20A breakers in an apartment? That was the life.

Folded at 3.5ghz across 48 magnycours cores. First 1m PPD box. :) Was actually quicker than a quad E5-4650 v1 box.... just used twice as much power.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
That was when I was running harbringer... was 20F outside, and I was running the AC to keep that beast cool. Flat rate power with 4 20A breakers in an apartment? That was the life.
I had an office once that had power and included the AC too, in fact it included a lot looking back. I actually got them to relocate the AC sensor and controls to my office since the other suites were not 90% glass (corner/window unit) as mine. I got that lease + the option for a "windowless data center room" that was also including power and AC for my "computers for work" as they said. Sadly I left due to no good connectivity (DSL, blek). Comcast wanted $500k to cross the street... no thanks. A couple months ago I had them look for an office that had ANY major provider for connectivity above 50mbit and warehouse space but haven't heard back :(

Sure would come in handy right about now :) :)

Ah-well, looking like $100/mo more for 20mbit dedicated fiber to another office where the servers wont be a blip on power compared to fabrication/welding machines operated all day.