Neo's FreeNAS Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I finally received the heatsink I ordered. I choose a passively cooled (via air shroud) Supermicro heatsink with narrow ILM 2011-v3 mounting. This was the only compatible one: SUPERMICRO SNK-P0048PS 2U Passive CPU Heatsink for LGA2011 - Newegg.com

In my first post, parts list - I linked to Supermicro's heatsink parts list if anyone needs it.

It is much larger in person. Waiting for my new lens to come in and I'll take more in case motherboard/heastink photos.
Wow, those looks like the same as the 1366 model just modified for the narrow ILM 2011-v3 takes.

I have a handful of those for 1366 if anyone needs any, lol!!

Reactions: neo

neo

Mar 18, 2015
As this build is turning into a learning experience - focused on the details, here is what I recently learned. It's often discussed if you should or shouldn't run an air shroud in these particular cases. I was taking a look through Supermicro's manual and this is what I learned:

Reactions: HotFix

neo

Mar 18, 2015
As you've probably noticed, I like to focus on the small details. Cabling and wires one of them. I was recently fortunate enough to make a connection with a supplier for Amphenol - without having to order 4 digit quantities. As Amphenol does not have any retail product channels, they only sell to OEM configurators direct. They make some of the best data cables, in my opinion. Ever notice how you usually see Foxconn cables used for SATA but Amphenol for SAS?

Well, I decided to go for custom length cut Amphenol SATA cables w/ latching end connectors. You'd be surprised how often good cabling is overlooked leading to phantom errors and issues. The wires themselves were originally designed for SAS 12Gb/s, but as the electrical connections are the same to SATA they are cross compatible.

This is a direct comparison of Foxconn SATA cables that Supermicro (and many other motherboard manufactures) include.

I was even fortunate enough to receive a signal-to-noise ratio test report. This is a just a scaled down thumbnail.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Wow, awesome.

I ordered 2 of the nVME cables before they got turned into U dot 2 cables... watch, now they're gonna drop 50% in price in a week.

Always happens.

I started putting together kits to make my own cables, and realized you can just buy custom for same $ in equipment and supplies if you're not making tons and tons over and over :D So I went that route.

Any chance you could order some u.2 / NVME cables ;) I could use 2-4 more.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I finally received the heatsink I ordered. I choose a passively cooled (via air shroud) Supermicro heatsink with narrow ILM 2011-v3 mounting. This was the only compatible one: SUPERMICRO SNK-P0048PS 2U Passive CPU Heatsink for LGA2011 - Newegg.com

In my first post, parts list - I linked to Supermicro's heatsink parts list if anyone needs it.

It is much larger in person. Waiting for my new lens to come in and I'll take more in case motherboard/heastink photos.

As promised, here is a photo of it installed. Just to have a perspective on it's size, you can compare it to the adjacent RAM slots. One of the biggest OEM heatsinks i've seen.

Reactions: HotFix

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Did a test fit on the optional front cover. If you are wondering why I bothered purchasing it, the main reason was the built in air filter. This server will be used in a home environment and has some pretty powerful fans inside. Also useful if you have furry pets. Additionally, there is a front lock - useful if you have small kids.

Don't mind the tape residue, it will be cleaned up - SM taped the keys to it during transit.

Reactions: MellowTone

HotFix

May 20, 2015
Silver Spring MD
blogs.technet.com
Did a test fit on the optional front cover. If you are wondering why I bothered purchasing it, the main reason was the built in air filter. This server will be used in a home environment and has some pretty powerful fans inside. Also useful if you have furry pets. Additionally, there is a front lock - useful if you have small kids.

Don't mind the tape residue, it will be cleaned up - SM taped the keys to it during transit.

Can you explain and/or show how the front cover clips/hooks on? I have the exact same concerns you have (2 cats and it will be in my office) for my SC846, but now that I have the case I can't see how/where a front bezel would clip/hook on.

I also have the added concern of a year and 1/2 old daughter who has already figured out how to eject the drive trays... so a locking cover sounds good to me!:D

Reactions: markarr

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Can you explain and/or show how the front cover clips/hooks on? I have the exact same concerns you have (2 cats and it will be in my office) for my SC846, but now that I have the case I can't see how/where a front bezel would clip/hook on.

I also have the added concern of a year and 1/2 old daughter who has already figured out how to eject the drive trays... so a locking cover sounds good to me!:D
Sure, hope this helps.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
If your Supermicro case fan cables are too short to reach the motherboard fan connectors by an inch or two, this is the part number for slightly longer cables with Supermicro's proprietary connector: CBL-0088L

Original cable too short:

New CBL-0088L cable installed and fits just right:

Comparison:

neo

Mar 18, 2015
@neo - what kind of connectors did the psu fans have on them? are they 4 pin?
I did not take a photo of it, so it will be hard to describe. It was an esoteric connector which was composed of 2 separate miniature connectors. 4 wires per connector.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
It does and thank you for posting those pictures!

Unfortunately my SC846 doesn't have holes in the handle like that so I'm not sure my unit is designed for a cover plate unless that units face plate books on some other way.
Thats interesting. I actually have an extra set of handles from my SC836 - wonder if the mounting the same as yours. There defiantly is a front cover attachment for the SC846 - MCP-210-84601-0B Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Support | Front Bezel Matrix

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Waiting for some other parts to come in, so here is a small photo update. One of the reasons I choose the E5 V3 platform is due to the native 10 onboard SATA 6 Gbs ports. I connected all 10 ports to the SC836 backplane using the previously mentioned Amphenol cables. Defiantly my favorite cables for their small size - better airflow. And the quality of knowing they are Amphenol.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Whenever I assemble a computer, especially a server platform I try to custom cut/crimp all the power cables to just the right length. It's a pet peeve of mine to have excess lengths of cables all inside the case.

I started with the fan cables today.

Bottom one is the original, top one is modified to just the right length.

As you can see, here is where it goes.

These are the required tools used. I replace the original pins inside the connector with genuine Molex pins which are copper coated. In 99% of every OEM cable I've encountered uses cheap Chineese tin pins. What is the benefit you ask? Higher rated insertion rates, and less electrical resistance.

Last edited:

Rafa4K

Jun 19, 2015
Nice work, Neo. Crimping the cables is cleaner than using the soldering iron :)

Reactions: neo

neo

Mar 18, 2015
whats the pin tool on the far left?

is it a bought one or a home made jobbie?
It's actually a genuine Molex tool. Used for removing the pins from the fan connector. If you'd like the Molex part number, shoot me a PM.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
My Supermicro SC836 case came originally with a DVD drive. The newer revision SC836 cases all have a DVD drive block off plates. I ordered one and installed it.

DVD drive in it's original location and the replacement dummy block off plate.

DVD drive removed and dummy block off plate installed.