Pliant SAS SSD - Failed firmware update

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

5teve

Jan 23, 2015
Perth, Australia
HI Guys

One of the issues I encountered with my asrock c226ws problems was a failed firmware update to one of my pliant SSD's (HP Branded) its a MO0800FBRWD - 800gb MLC drive. The computer failed to restart and seemed to screw the firmware update up, the other disk managed to recover (I have 2 of them) however this one is being stubborn and nothing I do seems to recover it.

I have managed to get it seen using a h200 hba but only when I unplug it when initialising (yes it gets weirder)

If I hot plug it within windows.. and look at event viewer (filtered for P822 events) then when I insert it it says

A SAS physical drive located in bay 0 was removed. The drive can be found in box 0 which is attached to port 4E of array controller P822 [Embedded].

When I unplug its (yep this is weird) I get 2 event entries:-

A SAS physical drive located in bay 0 was inserted. The drive can be found in box 0 which is attached to port 4E of array controller P822 [Embedded].

A SAS physical drive located in bay 0 was removed. The drive can be found in box 0 which is attached to port 4E of array controller P822 [Embedded].

Has anyone got any suggestions of what I could maybe do to force the thing a) to rewrite the firmware (hard as it cant be seen) or b) bring the thing back to life

or am i now the proud owner of an expensive paperweight? I wanted to use the 2 as a scratch / temp drive for video and photoshop / lightroom..

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Steve

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Wow Steve, you did a firmware update on them? I never even thought to.

5teve

Jan 23, 2015
Perth, Australia
Well Hp's latest firmware was from fairly recently, therefore they were still supported. HP make firmware updates very easy (single executable in windows), so I thought why not.. I didnt realise they would require a reboot to finalise the flash.. and thats where the problem came in, my machine wouldnt cleanly boot at that point due to a corrupt bios chip, initially both drives didnt work, but one of them managed to recover (not sure how). Just wish I could get the second one recovered.

I'm still holding out hope cause it appears to be recognised just as the power is being pulled, which I dont quite understand!

Steve

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
I updated some pliant drives before. I had one brick out of 24 drives. I have had the drive unplugged for a while and I plugged it in a few days ago and it seems to work. I'm thinking ghosts fixed. Lol

5teve

Jan 23, 2015
Perth, Australia
I'm hoping something like that will work, or even trying the ocz method of power only for 30 minutes, off for 30 seconds etc may revive it.. otherwise it will go in a drawer for a while and be tried again some time soon.. there must be some life in there though, otherwise it wouldnt be recognised on hot pull...

Steve