24 Port Switch for Data Center Usage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Looking to get an affordable 24 port switch to place with my 8 node server at the data center to save $$ on drops. Something that can run 24/7, and give me little to no trouble, and is very affordable :) At home I've been using NetGear "smart" but I'm not sure if they're up to this duty.

Port Utilization (AS of Now).
- 8x 1GigE per-node for LAN
- 8x 1GigE per-node for IPMI

I'll most likely need a minimum of 3 of these as we're spreading to a couple locations.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Hmm... I've had the GUI not update, but not require a reboot of the switch that I can recall.

The Edge Switches def. have my attention, they seem to be getting a lot of attention all over.

The 48 port:
Ubiquiti Networks EdgeSwitch ES-48-500W 48 Port PoE ES-48-500W

and also on my eye if I was to consider netgear again.
Amazon.com: Netgear ProSAFE S3300-28X/28-Port Gigabit Stackable Smart Switch (GS728TX-100NES): Computers & Accessories

Does anyone have any data on switch performance, any graphs or charts online?
Latency? Throughput? Etc? Comparisons...

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Procruve 2810-24G can be found for ~$80 on eBay
I had been watching these, and considering them for this duty.

Do you have any concerns with that switch, or suggesting it with no reservations?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
gigabit is really mature. Are you going to use it for the frontend to your colo? Is it 8 in + 8 IPMI or 8 in 8 IPMI 1-2 drops? If so you're going to want really good vlan and a managed switch.

Oh and the HP 1810-24G V2 or 1910-24G V2 are cheap and solid with lifetime warranties.

How much power do you have for this?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Correct, we're going to get a single 1Gig drop to the switch, and then break it up per-server ourselves vs. paying for additional drops, and this also gives me IPMI for much cheaper (free) too. We're only needing 1Gig in, and then 8 out to LAN, and 8 out to IPMI so 16 total in use at moment. Additionally there may be some other private VLANs for a couple nodes -- but this isn't required, although would be nice feature to have for future.

The HP are cheap is it worth using VLAN or just going two separate switches, and paying a couple bucks extra for the 2nd drop to the other switch just for IPMI? HP also appears to have simple private/segmentation option per-port too, which is nice.

Would you not suggest the HP for this usage?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
My little HP V1910-24g's have been absolutely great. Sample size of 2 so you can always feel free to disregard.

Reactions: T_Minus

Deci

Feb 15, 2015
if you pick up a 3750 used, pick up a stack cable and loop it back into itself, that way you get the full backplane bandwith of the switch.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I have a nice Mikrotik switch listed in my FS thread that will suite your needs

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
The HP procurve IMHO is the smb/Colo standard. They just work, period.

I also like mikrotik's 24xGbE 2xSFP+ rack mount offering. There is a little bit of a learning curve but the 10Gb options are great thing to have. I like leaving some room for expansion. Just keep in mine that the CRS series is actually a smart switch with limited L3 routing capability. I personally have used it in a Colo setting for a VPN terminator providing access to IMPI. Doing it this way provides wire speed switching for the production vlan and secure remote access to VPN without relying on another server for VPN.

Reactions: andrewbedia

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
I have 2x 1810G-24 V2 switches and a single V1 switch. These 2810's look pretty sweet especially for the price. In for one. Anyone know how the noise level is on them? Also, anyone actually had to handle an RMA with HP on these? I'm curious if the warranty only applies to the original buyer or not and if they require proof of purchase.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Noise isn't too bad, I'd presume. I know how loud a 2910al-48G and a 2650 is, and they aren't quiet, but they aren't deafening. I'd assume a 2810 would be about the same.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
When I moved in to my current house 9 years ago, I purchased Netgear GS724TP and GS748TP PoE switches to outfit my home. Those switches have been running pretty much 24 hours a day since then, interconnected with two prewired CAT5e cables between them (1st floor and 3rd floor). The only time they have been restarted was either for a firmware upgrade or power was lost -- most recent was hurricane Sandy (they got a 6 day rest).

No doubt, they have been very reliable but if I were moving in today and had to make a purchase, I would go with HP switches. Granted these are older Netgears so the issues I have now with newer versions of IE or Chrome not working well with the web management page may not apply to current Netgears (it's frustrating when you're trying to modify a VLAN and the page doesn't load!). They are a bit noisey (I replaced the fans in mine) and the build quality doesn't compare to the HPs. You might wind up paying extra for HP but in the long run, I think you'll be better off. As bds1904 said, they are perfect for a colo if you don't want to spend the bucks on an enterprise class Cisco switch.