Quanta LB4M 48-Port Gigabit Switch Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Levi

Mar 2, 2015
I've used these before:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141617256144

5524's use HDMI for stacking, and each have 2x10gbe SFP+. If you needed 4 ports, $800 USD would put you into these, and have redundant 1gbe for everything else.

It's an option. Similar to the LB4M, but with stacking that doesn't eat up the 10GbE ports.
Thanks for the great options, my budget is like 200 max so it looks like I will just be going with the one lb4m for now. It's a shame it's not easy to roll your own 10gb linux router. I did this but I only get 700MB's throughput max. Any more performance would require lots of tweaking. This is on a poweredge 2950.

Levi

Mar 2, 2015
This is a manage swich right? Does it do link aggregation? I was thinking of buying 2 switches and linking 4 ports together on each switch, letting me stack the switched together with 400MBs of bandwidth between them. Bad bad I know, but cheap and what I need to have.

Levi

Mar 2, 2015
Hmmm, you should be able to configure LACP load balance on the Port-Channel configuration page. Thus combine 6x1Gbit ports to "one big" 6Gbit port. Your load balance mode then determines how the traffic is load balanced between the ports.

You can find it on page 743 in the manual :)

My problem is that i only have one of these (for now) so i cannot test it. They are indeed not stackable, but they can do link aggregation with LACP.
I think I found my answer, if only I can find if this was tested to work.

firenity

Jun 29, 2014
Hey guys, I'm looking for a cheap 10gb switch for home use. I tried taking my server and putting 10gb cards into it and turning it into a router but I never got the performance I wanted. Is this still the cheapest 10gb switch? Would you recommend it and at what price? I'm hooking up a power edge and 2 or 3 clients. All with SFP+ DAC 10gb NIC's
For a max of 4 x 10G nodes, the D-Link DGS-1510-28X is probably the cheapest option around. There's already a thread on it here.

Goes for around $600 in the US and is even cheaper in Europe - under $400!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'm going to unload ALL my Mellanox and LB4M as I've gone to 10GigE. Expect a sales thread soon for all those looking. WIll be same prices as ebay, to sell or trade quick.

Levi

Mar 2, 2015
Yes they can do LAG/LACP. We run 6x1gbit between two quanta swiches atm
Thank you, I have one on the way. Ears, Transceivers and dual PSU for $130 shipped I think. I should start looking at the manual so I don't have to post back here a million times =).

I ended up looking through all 12 pages of this thread before buying. I really only care about 10Gb from my file server to my Desktop. I install and run all my programs off the file server. Even my Games. I'm sure the Media Center will be fine with 1Gb, it always has been.

IaaS

Feb 15, 2015
I should start looking at the manual so I don't have to post back here a million times =).
There is no manual! :) The supposed LB4M pdf manual that's floating around doesn't really relate to the LB4Ms and associated firmware on eBay. The commands, features, and syntax are all different. So far I've been able to get the LB4M to do what I want with a few quirks along the way.

troy

Apr 25, 2015
New to this switch, saw it for a good price on eBay, but may have messed something up. I ~think~ i accidentally set it to boot off a 2nd image that doesn't exist. Now, when I power it on fans stay running full speed and I get no DHCP request for management. I have a USB-> Serial port and tried on a couple computers to connect 9600/n/8/1 no Flow, tried 115200/38400 as well (I may have changed it to 115200 in the GUI). I don't ever get anything from the serial port. console cable and adapter work fine on my cisco gear, so I know it isn't that. Any ideas?

Matteo

Jun 17, 2015
Hi everyone. I've 2 LB4M. I would like to connect these two switch through the SFP+ port. I've a problem: when I insert the SFP+ adaptor no leds blink. I don't understand if this is a compatibility problem (AvagoAFBR-709SMZ-NA1) or I've to setup this module in the configuration settings.

Can someone help me?

hekho

Oct 1, 2014
Hi everyone. I've 2 LB4M. I would like to connect these two switch through the SFP+ port. I've a problem: when I insert the SFP+ adaptor no leds blink. I don't understand if this is a compatibility problem (AvagoAFBR-709SMZ-NA1) or I've to setup this module in the configuration settings.

Can someone help me?
Hi,

the ports are disabled by default. Make sure you have enabled interfaces 0/49 and 0/50 on both sides :
System -> port -> admin mode on the web interface.
Or "no shutdown" under "interface 0/49" and "interface 0/50" in terminal mode.

Carko

Feb 15, 2015

Can someone help me?
Check that the ports are enabled.

Also the SFP+ port LEDs only light up when the connection is estabilished, not just when the module is inserted.

Matteo

Jun 17, 2015
Thank you for replies. I've connected the 2 LB4M on port uplink1 (0/49 right?).
Both 0/49 and 0/50 are enabled. Here a screenshot: lb4m.jpg