Ubiquity EdgeRouter X?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Looks like a cool little device. I did giggle at the "Carrier Class Reliability" of only three nines, though. Must be Comcast they're talking about :)
Isn't Comcast only 0.9%? I just need to convince the wife to let me get one. Or maybe @Patrick can buy me one for a review here ;)

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I think its odd that they are back to using "24v passive POE". Not compatible with 802.3af/802.3at "standard" POE. You can't just plug it into your existing POE switch infrastructure - you've got to use a special passive injector. Silly.

This is the same goofy decision they made with their older Unifi APs. The non-standard POE made them a PITA to deploy. They fixed it and used 802.3af on the Unifi-Pro and Unifi-AC, making them both af compatible. But now they are out with new devices using the old non-standard junk again.

I really want to love these guys for making great products...but they keep missing it on the details (remember the original Unifi AP where they offered 300mpbs "N" compatibility but used a single 100mbps wired link to the network? UGH&^*#@!).

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I think its odd that they are back to using "24v passive POE". Not compatible with 802.3af/802.3at "standard" POE. You can't just plug it into your existing POE switch infrastructure - you've got to use a special passive injector. Silly.

This is the same goofy decision they made with their older Unifi APs. The non-standard POE made them a PITA to deploy. They fixed it and used 802.3af on the Unifi-Pro and Unifi-AC, making them both af compatible. But now they are out with new devices using the old non-standard junk again.

I really want to love these guys for making great products...but they keep missing it on the details (remember the original Unifi AP where they offered 300mpbs "N" compatibility but used a single 100mbps wired link to the network? UGH&^*#@!).
Being that I have a standard UAP at home the POE isn't a huge issue to me. As for the non-standard POE, how many businesses will use something like this as a router attached to an 802.3af capable switch?

RTM

Jan 26, 2014

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
IIRC, they're supposed to hit distributors next week, so it shouldn't take very long for them to get into peoples' hands. I like Ubiquiti, but they're prone to shipping new devices before the firmware is completely ready for use; I'd keep an eye on their forums before using them anywhere critical.

Reactions: Patriot

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
I think it'll make a great SMB product. I have several businesses that only need 1 ap (think secure access and customer wifi in a very small area) but still need a decent router than can do l2tp/ipsec, vlans, rate limiting and site-to-site vpn's at less than 12mbit. Seems like a perfect fit. POE out for the UBNT wap and router in one.

I like it.

CorvetteGS

Jan 20, 2014
Atlanta, GA
The main thing that bugged me was in the data sheet it says only 130kpps with 64byte packets. That's not even enough for 100Mbps throughput with that packet size. Looks like it definitely won't compete with the ERL-3 which is capable of 1000kpps at 64byte packets.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Agree that's pretty bad for small packet performance - but what practical difference does it make? Unless you are doing some strange high bandwidth VoIP application...:). Almost anything else will be using packets closer to the MTU.

CorvetteGS

Jan 20, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Agree that's pretty bad for small packet performance - but what practical difference does it make? Unless you are doing some strange high bandwidth VoIP application...:). Almost anything else will be using packets closer to the MTU.
Agreed, but it still bugs me that it doesn't say at what packet size is it able to get up to line rate... other than 1Gbps at 1518byte packets. For example the ERL-3 does line rate at 512byte+ packet sizes

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
According to the Ubiquiti forums, they are working on getting hardware acceleration working on them. Still, for the price of the ERX-SFP it is worth it for me as an upgrade to my TP-LINK router running OpenWRT + Gargoyle. Will also let me get rid of one power adapter.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Just ordered one of these up, coughed up $69 for mine shipped, kinda feel like I got robbed a lil' since I read $49 here somewhere but maybe the prices have crept up already...guess I wont cry over $10 heh

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Just ordered one of these up, coughed up $69 for mine shipped, kinda feel like I got robbed a lil' since I read $49 here somewhere but maybe the prices have crept up already...guess I wont cry over $10 heh
I paid $49 + $11 shipping. So the $20 was to cover shipping.

MACscr

May 4, 2011
For those that bought one of these babies. What do you think of them so far? Im needing a reliable VPN device for my colo and this seemed like a great option. Mainly just use it to access the management networks (will it handle multiple subnets fine?).

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
For those that bought one of these babies. What do you think of them so far? Im needing a reliable VPN device for my colo and this seemed like a great option. Mainly just use it to access the management networks (will it handle multiple subnets fine?).
I love mine, have it doing L2TP/IPSec VPN, IPv6 Tunnel to HE.net, DHCP, DNS etc.

It will handle multiple subnets/VLANs fine, won't be as fast as the ER-Lite or above but it works great for me for now.

MACscr

May 4, 2011
I love mine, have it doing L2TP/IPSec VPN, IPv6 Tunnel to HE.net, DHCP, DNS etc.

It will handle multiple subnets/VLANs fine, won't be as fast as the ER-Lite or above but it works great for me for now.
Well if its only for ssh/web interface usage and occasional ip kvm console access (java), then it should be fine right? You are just talking about total throughput, right? Heck, Im not even connected to anything higher than 100mbit and when it comes to the uplinks and I dont see myself moving a lot of large files through it.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
@MACscr I'd be willing to unload mine for $45 shipped as I have replaced it with a managed HP procurve 2530-8-g switch. Light use as I was only using it for switching to a TV/media center for a few devices in bridge mode (several ports in switching only mode). I had a post that covered my use case somewhere here. Worked great for me but I ended up needing PoE capabilities in the same area of my house and a few more switch ports. Anyways, thought I'd offer but not aggressively trying to get rid of it or post it in FS forum as $45 seems like too measly of a single listing to even bother with. It's a good device to travel with as well for small unmanaged gigabit switching ports for mobile labs/nested virtualization configs where it's hard to travel/pack around even a 8 port managed switch and you can deal w/ flat GigE networking.

PM me if interested.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Well if its only for ssh/web interface usage and occasional ip kvm console access (java), then it should be fine right? You are just talking about total throughput, right? Heck, Im not even connected to anything higher than 100mbit and when it comes to the uplinks and I dont see myself moving a lot of large files through it.
Yeah, you should be fine there. Really the limit is around a 100mbit Internet connection but for SSH/Web access & IP KVM it will be plenty fast.