WD 5TB ... any experience yet?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
I have a pair of 5TB Reds. They are, as far as I can tell exactly the same as the 3TB Red, only they hold 2TB more.

If all you're doing is media storage, then the Reds will be fine. They run cooler and quieter than the RE and SE, and use half the power.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have a pair of 5TB Reds. They are, as far as I can tell exactly the same as the 3TB Red, only they hold 2TB more.

If all you're doing is media storage, then the Reds will be fine. They run cooler and quieter than the RE and SE, and use half the power.
Do they have the 'delay' from head parking like the greens? I have an old NAS with 2x1TB Green and the delay is rather upsetting to me!!! I like "INSTANT" when I'm moving data, etc. It's for backups, general file (think "My Docs"), pics and movies of family stuff... no streaming storage.

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
No, they don't fart about with all that idle timer stuff. Well, apart from some of the 3TB Reds that had the idle timer set wrong.

If you ran wdidle3.exe on the Greens, you'd get rid of that delay. Anyone using a Green in a NAS or server should turn off the idle timer as matter of course.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Thanks, so close to pulling trigger. Can't decide between 4 disk RAID6 or 5 Disk RAid6 to replace my raid6 of 5x2TB RE/SEs.
Both have more space than I need, but I'm not sure how much I trust expanding a 4 disk array of 5TB discs in RAID 6, anyone done large raid6 expansions?

Mr. F

Sep 5, 2011
It's one model up, but I have 16 of the 6TB Red drives deployed across 2 NAS units. One is running 8 in RAID6, the other is running 7 in RAID6 plus a hotspare. No failures or issues.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Ditto for me, running about 50/50 with the 6TB reds/greens (for which you need wdidle3/idle3ctl). No issues with reliability, noise or heat so far.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Thanks guys, I made a spreadsheet and with 0 tax, and only a $12 premium per-GB over the 3GB model I opted for the 5gb from B&H.

5 on the way.

New plan is:
5x 5TB Red HW Raid6
2x 2TB SE/RE HW Raid1 (or software in another system, not 100% yet... may stick them in the old backup server that runs my tapes so they aren't on all the time.)

Sell remaining 2TB SE/RE drives... and figure out what other ones I have in my server I'm going to sell too.