Intel-RES2SV240

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Couldn't resist, just ordered #2 for a future build to put on the spare parts shelf.

Offered $50, countered back at $60 + $12 shipping. Seems to be their rock bottom price. Aww hell, now I'm gonna have to go and get that Supermicro PWR Control board for a JBOD enclosure heh

EDIT: Wife just advised me that she is blacklisting ebay and this site our on firewall hah...she kids (...goes to change pfSense admin passwd) :-D
talk to your wife, ebay is your primary source to buy server grade stuffs :D.

I bought 2 actually. first 80+12, second 60+12. can not resist to get 2nd one.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I resubmitted my $60 offer and they took it this time :confused:

Looks like there's less than 30 left according to the listing, so jump on it if you want it!

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
Mine two arrived, and look very nice. The only shadow on my joy is customs-office who charged me 40€! That's ~30% for computer-parts import! Damn those f***ing burEaUcrats sitting in Brussels want to drive us back to caves...

Reactions: Kristian

Rain

May 13, 2013
Looks like there's less than 30 left according to the listing, so jump on it if you want it!
Looks like the seller listed more. It's back up to 99 right now.

I really wish I had a need for these right now. This price is nuts! Can't really justify it though because I don't need more storage and still have room for expansion in my existing systems.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Mine two arrived, and look very nice. The only shadow on my joy is customs-office who charged me 40€! That's ~30% for computer-parts import! Damn those f***ing burEaUcrats sitting in Brussels want to drive us back to caves...
Wow 30% tax... and I'm here mad that Amazon started charging 7% state sales tax for me last year

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Saw the stock go back up to 100 early this morning...must be nice to be sitting on a grip of these :-D

altqpeeg

Aug 1, 2013
Thanks for the info and best offers submitted/accepted. My offer of $60 x 2 was accepted. Great purchase price from ebay.
aj

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Glad I clicked this thread, saw the title and went "huh" and then I went :-D woohoo these will really help my 2 port LSI RAID cards reach out with some mroe discs, now to find where I put those cards :-X

Reactions: Patrick

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Well my 2 arrived., Packaged great, in static bags, and looking brand new.

Thinking about snagging 2 more, and I should NEVER need to expand with the way disk size is going!!! Actually wouldn't mind the intel controlle he has for a deal, have an offer on that :)

Ragious

Oct 12, 2012
Ordered 2 for 60 each and got them shipped to the Netherlands today. Too bad I had to pay 42 euros extra for customs and taxes. Still a good deal though.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
That chassis already has an expander backplane so you don't need one of these. What you should consider is a RAID card or HBA with 6Gb support to connect to the expander on your chassis.
If I got a 8 port Intel RAID card, can I use expander back plane to connect 16 drives? Could a Intel-RES2SV240 be useful to connect to Intel RAID card (ie Could there be complications using Supermicro expander backplane with Intel Raid card? Thanks in advance for your feedback, much appreciated.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
If I got a 8 port Intel RAID card, can I use expander back plane to connect 16 drives? Could a Intel-RES2SV240 be useful to connect to Intel RAID card (ie Could there be complications using Supermicro expander backplane with Intel Raid card? Thanks in advance for your feedback, much appreciated.
Should be fine, expanders are fairly neutral.
Depending on if you want hardware or software raid you should be mindful getting raid card or just HBA

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Should be fine, expanders are fairly neutral.
Depending on if you want hardware or software raid you should be mindful getting raid card or just HBA
Thanks chinesestunna for your feedback :). Just to clarify: I can connect up to 16 drives with my supermicro expander backplane with a 8 port RAID card (a Intel-RES2SV240 is not necessary)?

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Thanks chinesestunna for your feedback :). Just to clarify: I can connect up to 16 drives with my supermicro expander backplane with a 8 port RAID card (a Intel-RES2SV240 is not necessary)?
Not 100% sure which one you have but should be fine

Reactions: Boddy

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Thanks. I have a 3U Supermicro 16 bays Storage Server Chassis SC836E26-R1200 SAS2-836EL2
Yes, in fact from the manual the expander can run off of 1 SAS port so you can actually drive all 16 bays with 1 4 port SAS controller vs. 8 port. In this case, it might save you a few bucks to get 4 port since you won't have any additional drives to add in the system outside of the 16 ports. Unless you want to do dual path with SAS drives...
Note - make sure you decide if you want to do hardware RAID vs. software RAID before you get the controller as it will affect whether to get RAID card or just HBA

btw - this isn't the system you're looking to add SATA3 and USB3 to in your other thread right?

Reactions: Boddy