Intel-RES2SV240

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
If you are using SATA drives, I don't know if dual-linking the cards helps at all. SATA can only use a single channel as far as I remember. If you view the card in the MSM software, I think if you have dual links it only shows one up. I will have to check my systems again to be sure.
So dual link is purely for the sake of redundancy and failover? I'm new to the SAS/Expander world and have read some about SAS multipathing but would like experts to confirm:
  1. Assume we have HBA1 and HBA2, both 8 channel with dual SFF-8087 ports and this Expander with 24 ports and 6x SFF-8087
  2. We have this particular expander, and is connected to both HBAs via single link, so HBA1 Port 1 -> EXP Port 1 and HBA2 Port 1 -> EXP Port 2
  3. now the EXP has 4x SFF-8087 left over which we'll connect to a backplane and populate with SAS drives
Questions:
  1. Is the assumption now should either HBA1 or HBA2 goes down, the devices and software will automatically failover to the path provided by the other HBA?
  2. If both HBAs are up, do you get all the PCI-e bandwidth provided by both?
  3. What if the expander goes down? In a truly redundant case would you want 2 expanders and connect both HBAs to EXPs in a crisscrossed arrangement?

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I took a quick read of the SuperMicro manual, it has nice drawings. Anyway, if you are using hardware raid cards, you can't connect two of them into the same expander since the raid config is only being used by one card. If they are HBAs, the multipath is handled by MPIO software.

SATA only has a single data channel so you only get one path. I think overall bandwidth would be defined by which route you use in the MPIO config? I haven't done this yet... I guess it would be similar to iSCSI.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
hi canta!

I have this Expander, still testing with it though. 2 questions about your post:

1) are you sure you can connect 2 x sff8087 from HBA to this expander? ( i think its can only do 1 link from HBA, i didn't see any mention of 2x in the manual, ive been testing with 1 x from my 9271 to the RES2SV240)

2) how are you then connecting 24 drives from the remaining 4 x sff8087 ports? ( 4 x 4 = 16? ) dual links?

btw, i got mine for 140 shipped from ebay about 2 weeks ago... at that time there were NO cheaper options on this expander and i actually got a good deal compared to the 170$+ i was seeing on the sold listing search (again 2-3 weeks ago) ... so all of you guys are getting a GREAT DEAL at under 100$ !!!

thanks
I tried on IBM M5014... it states only one (4 lanes) connection aka single link. My assume that feature key is needed for that IBM card, $15 shipping from China(not taking this route, not my priority)
I tried on Dell H210 with dellizer 6G firmware (9211 IT dellizer). it state all (8 lanes) connections (dual links).
* testing using Megacli under centos 7.X for Dell H210 and debian wheezy for IBM M5014 ( do not know about windows...:D)

I did not use many drives now... yap the maximum is 16 when you are using dual links.
on my scenario, the motherboard itself supports 5 SATA (this is lenovo TS140/440 motherboard), which totalled for 21 drives when using dual links.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I took a quick read of the SuperMicro manual, it has nice drawings. Anyway, if you are using hardware raid cards, you can't connect two of them into the same expander since the raid config is only being used by one card. If they are HBAs, the multipath is handled by MPIO software.

SATA only has a single data channel so you only get one path. I think overall bandwidth would be defined by which route you use in the MPIO config? I haven't done this yet... I guess it would be similar to iSCSI.
that makes sense on me :D. or I need something to learn..
since seeing HBA Dell H200 with dellizer 9211IT firmware can do dual links, but IBM M5014 Only do single link.

* I am using MegaCli tools to verify.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I tried on IBM M5014... it states only one (4 lanes) connection aka single link. My assume that feature key is needed for that IBM card, $15 shipping from China(not taking this route, not my priority)
I tried on Dell H210 with dellizer 6G firmware (9211 IT dellizer). it state all (8 lanes) connections (dual links).
* testing using Megacli under centos 7.X for Dell H210 and debian wheezy for IBM M5014 ( do not know about windows...:D)

I did not use many drives now... yap the maximum is 16 when you are using dual links.
on my scenario, the motherboard itself supports 5 SATA (this is lenovo TS140/440 motherboard), which totalled for 21 drives when using dual links.
In the case of Dell H210, does it require dual link (8 lanes) or is it just supports dual links so you can run with single if you're ok with that?

canta

Nov 26, 2014
In the case of Dell H210, does it require dual link (8 lanes) or is it just supports dual links so you can run with single if you're ok with that?
Dell H200 (with 6gb firmware dellizer 9211 IT firmware)actually....
just hooks up two minisas cables betwen H200 to intel expander.
this is up to you and your needs... single or dual is your choice.

oops. I use MegaCli for verify.

Reactions: chinesestunna

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Dell H200 (with 6gb firmware dellizer 9211 IT firmware)actually....
just hooks up two minisas cables betwen H200 to intel expander.
this is up to you and your needs... single or dual is your choice.

oops. I use MegaCli for verify.
Excellent, that's actually the controller I'm looking to get as well since M1015 prices seems high right now. Thanks for confirming!

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
do people recommend the IBM M1015 over an LSI 9211? Considering most of them are going for the same price on ebay?

Anybody tested one of these with the LSI?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
When the M1015 is flashed with 9211 firmware they are effectively equivalent. The only remaining difference is the M1015 8087 sockets point up and the 9211 stick off the end.

Yes. I have in the past run a res2sv240 using a 9211-8i in IT mode. It dual-links to the card just find and then leaves you 4 ports (16 drives) to work with. Same for the M1015 when flashed to LSI 9211 firmware.

Reactions: capn_pineapple

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Very strange. I had a browser crash and it looks like a previous incremental revision went live. Thank you for the heads-up.
Still getting this "If you have questions on how SAS expanders work (in more detail) feel free to visit the fourms and there are resources linked below on how to use cards such as these. At the price of $72-87 shupped many of the forum members have been ge"

Second paragraph below the big picture of the card.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Still getting this "If you have questions on how SAS expanders work (in more detail) feel free to visit the fourms and there are resources linked below on how to use cards such as these. At the price of $72-87 shupped many of the forum members have been ge"

Second paragraph below the big picture of the card.
Let me purge varnish. That is probably the cached version. D'oh.

burr

Aug 11, 2012
Birmingham, AL
I just got one for $60+$12 shipping. Great deal on this expander. I ran one for a while on an unraid box with dual links. All 16 drives had a sata 3 link and ran at full speed.

SirMaster

Feb 12, 2015
Just offered $75 about 30 minutes ago and they just accepted it at the time of this post. Great deal, thanks!

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Couldn't resist, just ordered #2 for a future build to put on the spare parts shelf.

Offered $50, countered back at $60 + $12 shipping. Seems to be their rock bottom price. Aww hell, now I'm gonna have to go and get that Supermicro PWR Control board for a JBOD enclosure heh

EDIT: Wife just advised me that she is blacklisting ebay and this site our on firewall hah...she kids (...goes to change pfSense admin passwd) :-D

Last edited: