$375 or Best Offer Sandisk CloudSpeed Eco 960GB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Nice find. I actually got another Cloudspeed Ascend 800GB today that was ~$350. I do like these drives.

You can see the cloudspeed 800GB drive reviewed earlier compared to some other offerings in the SanDisk Optimus Ascend 800GB benchmarks here

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
FYI. I came across an interesting article on ScanDisk Cloudspeed series: it appears 'Ascend' has greater endurance (1,752 PBW) compared with 'Eco' (1.051 PBW):

SanDisk offers Cloudspeed flash options for pockets deep and shallow • The Register
Yea the Eco is more of a read optimized drive.
SanDisk has the Eco -> Ascend -> Ultra for the CloudSpeed line (SATA).

The SAS line (Optimus) has MAX -> Eco -> Ascend -> Ultra -> Extreme. The Extreme is a 45DWPD/ 5yr solution. The MAX while it is only 0.5 DWPD, is also a 4TB SSD.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Yea the Eco is more of a read optimized drive.
SanDisk has the Eco -> Ascend -> Ultra for the CloudSpeed line (SATA).

The SAS line (Optimus) has MAX -> Eco -> Ascend -> Ultra -> Extreme. The Extreme is a 45DWPD/ 5yr solution. The MAX while it is only 0.5 DWPD, is also a 4TB SSD.
Ahh! I get it now, if you wanting more write intensive, go for endurance and more read intensive drives are optimized as such, with less endurance. :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ahh! I get it now, if you wanting more write intensive, go for endurance and more read intensive drives are optimized as such, with less endurance. :)
Yes. It is a total misconception BTW that all server workloads require high endurance. There are many applications where you are writing much data once then just reading from it. I have a small analytics cluster that has a dataset that changes maybe 2-10% per week. There is no way it is even close to a full disk write per day. Likewise, the web servers the forums and main site are on, even with snapshotting VMs, has under 100GB/ week of writes.