VMware VMUG Advantage EVALExperience - Experience

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
My subscription is active. I had to register on a new site by Kivuto.

After registering, I had access to the following page. This page had each of the software bits available for download.
VMware Advantage.JPG
After clicking on the product, I added it to the cart. I received an error message that I could not "order" another vSAN key:
VMware Advantage Eligibility.JPG
One can then check out using a cart interface:
VMware Advantage Check Out.JPG
That presents one with a EULA
VMware Advantage EULA.JPG
After this one gets a survey.
VMware VMUG Advantage Survey.JPG
Now one gets to complete the order. There is a notice that it cannot be re-ordered for 12 months.
VMware VMUG Advantage Proceed With Order.JPG
Now you get to update your profile (again)
VMware VMUG Advantage Update Profile.JPG
Now, finally one gets the order receipt. About a second after this screenshot, the license key was produced.
VMware VMUG Advantage Order Complete.JPG
I hope this helps folks navigate once they get the welcome email.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
what are the limitation of the vsphere and the horizon view license?

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
vSphere is currently limited to 2 CPUs (sockets). Not sure about horizon view.

I say currently as that seems to be a mistake (but confirmed elsewhere) as it is somewhat hard to test things like vSAN (gives 16) or Clusters or HA or DRS etc when you can only put it on a single dual socket host.

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
You get 2 vCenter licenses, no limitations as far as I can tell ( License management didn't note any changes when moving from the normal 60 day license). vCenter is "software" and is not limited by CPU or anything like that.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I got a little annoyed with the mandatory product survey. Instead of blowing through it, I took my time to and gave thoughtful responses. While doing so, my log-in timed out, and I had to start the whole process over. To be fair, between completing the survey I made lunch for my four year old and fed my 9 week old, but still ... to invest that much thought into a survey, then have timeout and blocked "back" button issues really annoyed me.

Other than that, I had the same experience as Patrick.

artbird309

Feb 19, 2013
I am too, I would only be able to license one of my hosts which defeats a lot of the point of this. I would have thought this would be a quick fix but it doesn't look like it is....

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Guess what? Being impatient, I signed up for VMUG today and pulled my vSphere license. Low and behold, here's what I found:

We're good to go!! If you've already claimed your 2 CPU license, I'd email Kivuto and explain to them the problem and that it has been corrected by VMWare and that you need your download count reset so you can grab the corrected license.

Reactions: Entz and artbird309

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Pump the keys into vCenter's "Manage vSphere Licenses" interface. I did this using the vSphere non-web client (it's sooo much faster than the web client). Once you enter them, you get the information I show above. You can customize the label to be whatever you want.

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Guess what? Being impatient, I signed up for VMUG today and pulled my vSphere license. Low and behold, here's what I found:

We're good to go!! If you've already claimed your 2 CPU license, I'd email Kivuto and explain to them the problem and that it has been corrected by VMWare and that you need your download count reset so you can grab the corrected license.
Thanks for the update, glad they got it fixed. 6 is a much more practical limit (3 dual processor systems). The thread I linked hasn't been updated or much else I can find. I have sent a message to VMUG Customer support to get new ones (hopefully).

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Thanks for the update, glad they got it fixed. 6 is a much more practical limit (3 dual processor systems). The thread I linked hasn't been updated or much else I can find. I have sent a message to VMUG Customer support to get new ones (hopefully).
Got a reply this morning

"VMware is in the process of updating everyone's account. You should see the changes take place by the end of the day today. ..."

:)

artbird309

Feb 19, 2013
I wonder when and how they will start deploying the vSphere 6 products they just announced today to the EVALExperience customers. I am trying to hold off till they figure that out, I don't want to be stuck with 5.5 for a year.