[CN] Seeed studio reServer 4C/8T for $274.50

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
I think it's great little platform with few options for expansion, two 2.5Gbe ports, 11th gen Intel i3 etc...

tingcrab

May 15, 2018
Thanks for posting that. Just place an order for one.
I was tempting to get the Odroid H3+ but been out for 6 months and don't seem they put that for sale. (plus their 3.5" case is awful)

Reactions: richard.dzavoronok

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
i wish this had vPro too... while its technically a security risk... it helps with remote control of the machine (like IMPI)

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Configured for $80 more? I'm not sure I'd want 16GB and 512GB but maybe just to save the hassle.

osrk

Sep 2, 2019
This is neat but no idea what I would do with it.
Agreed, it's hella neat but for the price point it really doesn't do much that a raspberry pi couldn't do while also being limited that'd i'd need a bigger setup.

Truenas? But according to intel it doesn't support ECC, meh.

If anyone buys one let us know your plans!

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
IMO at this price this is much, much better than a Pi for home use. I've been recommending it to a few friends as a Plex server: Tiger Lake QuickSync, enough room for two high-capacity mirrored 3.5" drives and a mirrored boot device, high speed networking if you wanted to use it for light NAS duty on the side, a decent amount of CPU grunt for container hosting, low power consumption, and a great form factor. The main limitation is the number of bays, but with how cheap 18TB drives are these days it isn't a huge one. You'd have to spend basically the same amount to configure a Pi with this much functionality and you'd still be missing our on QuickSync, which isn't a small thing. It isn't a good fit for my needs, but imo it's a solid option for a lot of people.

Stankyjawnz

Aug 2, 2017
Agreed, it's hella neat but for the price point it really doesn't do much that a raspberry pi couldn't do while also being limited that'd i'd need a bigger setup.

What makes the reserver unique is the pcie 4 x4 slot.

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021

I love raspberry pi, but reServer is much more capable. CPU alone will obliterate raspi in terms of performance/watt and capabilities.
If that's not what you need, then expansion options, this reServer has PCIe 4.0 slot, 2.5GbE, SATA slots, cooling, cool case, three m.2 slots etc. I'm afraid raspi can't compete with that.
Oh and displayport and arduino compatible header, and rtc already implemented :)

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
Not sure about power consumption, but my NUC 8i3BEK (which is collecting dust btw) is sipping 4 watts in idle and ~10 watts doing light tasks. I imagine this will be a little bit better on consumption.

fake-name

Feb 28, 2017
I just do not understand people who compare a raspberry pi (or basically any common ARM SBC) to this.

Something that boots from a micro-SD card(or eMMC) , and something with a proper disk (NVMe/HD/Etc) are COMPLETELY different worlds. The micro-sd system will eventually poop it's filesystem. It'll also be MASSIVELY slower.

Also, outside of the raspberry pi itself, any other ARM SBC will probably have zero support in a couple years. OTOH, any x86/x64 system will likely work with off-the-shelf OSes for 10+ years without issues.

They're completely different things. ARM SBCs have their place, but the comparison is completely specious.