Napp IT all in one and NIC bonding

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I am a newbie, just set up an esxi host and intend to use Napp IT all in one VM to create 2 data pools-one of which I want to use as a datastore backup in esxi.

I have passed through 2 of a 4 port Intel LAN card for the Napp IT VM. (I wish to leave the other 2 ports for a pfsense VM). What settings should I adjust or change, to allow my network to utilise these 2 physical NIC ports for teaming in Napp IT?

Much thanks for any guide or advice.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014

Thank you very much for your quick response. I will read through those 2 threads, although at first glance it looks way over my head.

I was of the understanding that 2 dedicated physical nics will give better performance? Please correct me if I am wrong.

cheers!

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Why not bond in ESXi then use a vSwitch on the bonded NICs for the NAS VM?

Pass through will make everything harder for you and performance won't be much better unless the machine is running full tilt. NAS + pfsense = unlikely to be the case.

loadit

Jan 6, 2015
Well if he has 2 interfaces I guess 2GBit he will have maximum read and write throuput of 225 MByte/sec. If he DirectPath I/O the controller. Create a vSwitch with no physicaLinterface. Use one NIC for Managment to the real network. One for storage to the vSwitch with no physical interface. Since the hypervisor has no real network limit it says its 10GBit but it can go much faster (I my self got speeds around 28 - 30 GBit) you are no longer limited to the network troughtput of your network cards.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Biren78, Thank you for your response.

May I know how to go about "bonding" in ESXI?
So if I have 2 ports on my Supermicro Board, and another 4 on the NIC card, should I bond all 6 of them?

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Well if he has 2 interfaces I guess 2GBit he will have maximum read and write throuput of 225 MByte/sec. If he DirectPath I/O the controller. Create a vSwitch with no physicaLinterface. Use one NIC for Managment to the real network. One for storage to the vSwitch with no physical interface. Since the hypervisor has no real network limit it says its 10GBit but it can go much faster (I my self got speeds around 28 - 30 GBit) you are no longer limited to the network troughtput of your network cards.
This is exactly what I wish to achieve. A very fast transfer within my All in One. How do I go about this?

loadit

Jan 6, 2015
I would really go thru the two guides I posted before. I know they are a bit complex first. But google terms and questions you have or ask them here :) but the guides exactly do what I wrote you in the post before.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I would really go thru the two guides I posted before. I know they are a bit complex first. But google terms and questions you have or ask them here :) but the guides exactly do what I wrote you in the post before.
I will do my best to learn. Thank you!