Burnt Out and Bored w/ My Storage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
So, I am burnt out and bored with my current storage system. I have been running Omni-OS with Napp-it for a couple years now and am looking for something new to do with the hardware, or even just selling it all off. This is not a for sale thread, more of a ho-hum, I have this server and have moved everything off of it (to an all in one esxi box) and shut it down and I am bored with this thing.

Current system specs:
Operating System/Storage Platform: OmniOS/Napp-it
CPU: Xeon E3-1230v2 CPU
Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCM-F-O
Chassis: Rosewill RSV-L4411 Chassis
Drives: 8x Hitachi 2TB Disks, 4x Toshiba 3TB Disks, 1x Crucial M464GB SSD for OS
RAM: 16GB UDIMM Kingston RAM
Add-in Cards: 2x IBM M1015 crossflashed/9211 IT mode, 2x Intel Dual Port Server NIC
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts 650 Power Supply
Usage Profile: Storage, iSCSI Target, SMB Shares, MediaTomb

I keep asking myself what do I do with this system? ebay? Install Windows and storage spaces (boring)? Linux (boring, been using Linux since 1996)? Break out 1lb of tannerite from my stores and blow it up in a dramatic youtube video?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
It may be boring, but that is still quite a functional and reasonably powerful platform for a file server. Don't really know what is boring about it...

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Btrfs raid5/6 is looking mostly complete (though not really tested at all) for Linux kernel 3.19 when it is released. Or grab a couple used QLogic HBAs (one for this system, one for another) and turn this into a FC target.

Could always donate it to a friend/family while keeping 1/2 of its storage for yourself for a "free" offsite backup solution.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Do you need the storage space or not? For most people here, having a storage array is one item that is required in their homelab.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
Personally I'd configure it KISS - either as a NAS or if that role is already accounted for, as a back up host (with bonus points for finding somewhere for it off-site). Use whatever software solution gets you there with minimum fuss and bother.

I can't help but feel that that sort of role should be boring, safe, stable and just do what it's designed for - storing/backing up files. A configuration that, once set, presents as little need for maintenance or attention as possible.

Reactions: PigLover

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
I'm pretty much the same, I'm always tinkering because I can never get things working 'just right'. Now I'm just fed up with the whole thing, so I'm in the middle of setting up a Synology DS214Play with a DX513 expansion unit.

The 214Play will have a pair of small drives in RAID1 for the DSM OS and working space. The DX513 will have a pair of 5TB Reds. The DX513 hibernates nicely, so that'll keep power and noise down. I have a 180GB Intel SSD that I'm probably going to stick in the DS214Play, and I'm keeping my eye on eBay to get an identical one (it's a Pro 1500).

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So, I am burnt out and bored with my current storage system. I have been running Omni-OS with Napp-it for a couple years now and am looking for something new to do with the hardware, or even just selling it all off. This is not a for sale thread, more of a ho-hum, I have this server and have moved everything off of it (to an all in one esxi box) and shut it down and I am bored with this thing.

Current system specs:
Operating System/Storage Platform: OmniOS/Napp-it
CPU: Xeon E3-1230v2 CPU
Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCM-F-O
Chassis: Rosewill RSV-L4411 Chassis
Drives: 8x Hitachi 2TB Disks, 4x Toshiba 3TB Disks, 1x Crucial M464GB SSD for OS
RAM: 16GB UDIMM Kingston RAM
Add-in Cards: 2x IBM M1015 crossflashed/9211 IT mode, 2x Intel Dual Port Server NIC
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts 650 Power Supply
Usage Profile: Storage, iSCSI Target, SMB Shares, MediaTomb

I keep asking myself what do I do with this system? ebay? Install Windows and storage spaces (boring)? Linux (boring, been using Linux since 1996)? Break out 1lb of tannerite from my stores and blow it up in a dramatic youtube video?
Maybe sell the controllers, and drives. Get 4x 8TB archive disks and figure out what the BER is and lower your power consumption by a huge amount. ZoL and cache with the SSDs? Swap network out for Mellanox ConnectX-3 EN? Mellanox Connectx 3 En Dual 10GbE Ethernet Adapter PCI E MCX312A XCBT Standard | eBay and I bet you could get them for a lot less.

What about gluster?

Reactions: sboesch

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
I just installed ubuntu server w/ ZoL. We will see how it goes. I have a bunch of SSDs, will have to stop by and install them into the server when I get a chance since I am never home.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
And fail. LOL, I figured I would install napp-it for the hell of it, that ended badly. Spent more time than I have wanted to troubleshoot it, so it's getting wiped.
Code:
initialize websocket connection, please wait...

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Realtime graphics over html5 websocket are currently only available on OmniOS and Oracle Solaris. Napp-it on Linux offers ZFS management not the featureset from Solaris.