Socket 2011 square & narrow ILM active cooling solutions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Maxx_1150

May 16, 2021
Well,
recently stumbled over this (too well known) issue - how to noise-efficiently cool
down Socket 2011(-3) CPUs. Now all ppl. familiar with WS / Server builds know
that in such platform the CPU cooler retention module is based on ILM design.

And within that, there's two different variants
- (conventional) Square ILM - with retentions pins in a square (80x80mm ?)
uses the same spacing used for plain-vanilla i7/i9 CPUs on Socket 2011(-3)

- Narrow ILM - with retention pins in a rectangular fashion (94x56mm)

In order to denoise such systems, many workstation/server builders attempt to replace passive
heatsink/high-pressure fan CPU cooling solutions in such systems (ex factory) by an active
approach (often custom-build). Recently, mass availability of 2.5" U.2/U.3 drives (making use of NVMe
protocol) apparently make a perfect match with readily available OEM/ODM rackable cases with 2U and 3U
form factor. The only problem with these boxes wrt. denoising is that moving to an active CPU cooling
solution materially narrows the menu of choices of applicable 2U-compatible CPU coolers for system builders.

On (traditional) Square ILM designs, my research indicate the Noctua NH-L9x65 as an interesting option. With
its 65mm height and 95x95mm base dimension, it should be a viable option for many 2U server/workstation builds.
Its specs point to an ultra-quiet Socket-2011 cooling solution (2500rpm, 57.5m³/h, 33.84 CFM, 23.6dB(A), 2.11mmH₂O)

Missing is a viable approach for NARROW ILM platforms. Fellow threadsters have been using active readily available
solutions from Supermicro (SNK-P0048AP4), Intel and Dynatron - all with mixed or meager results in this case. These active
heatsink/fan assemblies all employ high-rpm 60mm fans in a tower arrangement, often spinning at 8000rpm or above.
Associated noise levels of 45dB and higher might be OK for a datacenter or server room but not for an office or general
vocational or home environment.

Now on Alibaba I found a PWM cooler with a copper heatsink and a 70mm x 70mm FAN that also provides ample ventilation
(above 30CFM) sufficient static pressure (6mm H2O) and much reduced noise (37dB max) from this seller
(not available in Austria where I live as alibaba won't ship here atm)

I almost wanted to give up here but then I realized that the stock coolers 0YH2R3 for Dell T3600, T3610, T5810 etc.
also come in a pinout arrangement pretty miliar to NARROW ILM, even sharing its dimensions according to specs (94x56mm)
Not entirely sure about the height of these Dell stock coolers but as they come from factory, they also use a 60mm fan,
so they might be okay.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/wbyaqv Ebay: 263472991843
(Dell T3610 CPU Kühler Heatsink Fan Assembly 0YH2R3 LGA2011v2 = M4 56mm x 94m )

I am obtaining a couple of these Dell coolers and the plan is to replace the stock fan with something else. The
baseplate might need adapting (suspecting different type of screws between DELL and typical COTS parts,
I as I have some old Dynatron and Intel Xeon coolers here, it may be possible to use these screws or buy parts
from a general hardware store. And I plan to swap the high rpm internal (SanAce ?) fan inside the Dell Assembly
with a much more quiet 60x60 model from another vendor. To compensate for the loss in ventilation power, I could easily
daisy chain yet another quet 80mm fan with >600rpm minimum speed - did that in many T5810/T3610 workstation builds.
(Supermicro and others' IPMI often identify a false-positive "fan error" if a replacement fan minimum speed is too low, say 300rpm).
Arctic Cooling sells cheap fans with a daisy chain 4-pin connection. I may be able to secure such an Arctic fan with zip-ties to the
exhaust from themodified Dell YH2R3 assembly and connect the replaced standard high-efficient 60x60 fans to this daisy chain
cabling from the Arctic..
Arctic F8 PWM PST CO, 80mm

will keep you updated once I got more time for this...

all the best,
Maxx_1150

BTW: Kudos to Patrick and all other highly proficient architects and contributors of STH
A wonderful community and a FOUNTAIN of information

Reactions: name stolen

Maxx_1150

May 16, 2021
OK, today a package of these DELL Dell T3610 CPU Coolers (Heatsink Fan Assembly 0YH2R3 LGA2011) arrived.
Unfortunately, they are not suitable as a 2U cooling solution, as they measure around 9cm in total height, in
contrast to Supermicro 2U cases that feature 8,9 in total height. However, they should be usable in a 3U case.

OK, discarding the Dell 0YH2R3 option, I'll next try to modify an existing Dynatron, Intel or Supermicro Socket 2011
Narrow ILM assembly. We shall see.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
From my experience, the dynatron r14 and other dynatron coolers are pretty reasonable db-wise except when under full load.

Also, if u plan on filling a 2u/3u with a bunch of nvme drives, I think the noise from the CPU fan will be the least of your worries. Nvme drives usually require a decent amount of cooling already which equates to more noise.

Reactions: Maxx_1150

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
OK, today a package of these DELL Dell T3610 CPU Coolers (Heatsink Fan Assembly 0YH2R3 LGA2011) arrived.
Unfortunately, they are not suitable as a 2U cooling solution, as they measure around 9cm in total height
What a pity. Those 0YH2R3 are the best option you can find for a narrow ILM. They easily cope with 160w TDP CPU (2687wv4) at full load while spinning at around 3000 RPM only.

Maxx_1150

May 16, 2021
Well, these Supermicro 2U Cases are engineered to take up 8/16/24 of HDDs in these compact 2U backplanes !! So even going the U.2/U.3 SSD route, I think the cooling requirement is smaller than in the case of an all-HDD server. As there are SQ (SuperQuiet) options for many of their case variants (even 2U designs) there's a readily available blueprint to denoise the other subsystems apart from the CPU cooler for Supermicro servers.

For example I recently changed a noisy 5U Supermicro SC-745 server (X10 dual Xeon E5) by doing the SQ modifications myself (obtained the required fans and fan assembly parts from Supermicro bill of materials templates, using 4x 24dB rated midspan fans and the 25db 92mm back fan assembly). First I swapped the PSUs for a suitable SQ model. In that design I also went from passive CPU cooling to active CPU cooling using Noctua NH-U12DX i4 with a Narrow ILM Baseplate. And I swapped the Noctua CPU fans with quiet 120mm fans from Akasa - Ultra Quiet Viper Series, 120mm (the Noctua fans pose the fan ramp speed problem - minimum fan speed of around 300rpm is below the IPMI required min. fan threshold). The result was a really quiet, yet powerful Dual Xeon E5 server that could be placed in a LIVING ROOM environment.

Recently I set up a Dell R730 server system which is a 2U case with an air-shroud tunnel design. Really works well and even with default iDRAC settings, it's quiet enough for an office setting. But from what I read, Supermicro's 2U servers are much more noisy. We shall see. I certainly don't like 40dB+ noise ratings on these Supermicro and Dynatron 2U active cooling solutions - the Dynatron has ratings in excess of 52dB.

Maxx_1150

May 16, 2021
What a pity. Those 0YH2R3 are the best option you can find for a narrow ILM. They easily cope with 160w TDP CPU (2687wv4) at full load while spinning at around 3000 RPM only.
How true !! But at least they can be used for 3U systems. Recently bought a lot of 20 at a good price. The Dell Precision Workstation types these coolers are compatible with (T3600, T3610, T5810, etc..) can be found everywhere .. they're almost "ubiquitous" in the world of corporate workstations.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Out of curiosity, what are the specs on the nvme drives you intend to deploy and how many?

Maxx_1150

May 16, 2021
But there may be another feasible avenue: found 2 cheapo full-copper 1U Heatsinks for the Narrow ILM socket form factor recently. Maybe there's a proper way to mount an 80mm fan on top of them. We shall find out ...

Maxx_1150

May 16, 2021
Out of curiosity, what are the specs on the nvme drives you intend to deploy and how many?
Nothing planned yet, I just want to have the "solution" ready should the need arise to deploy it. I could take any U.2/U.3 drive. What IS set in stone here is merely the form factor and for the time being most probably also the Server CPU platform (Xeon E5 v3/v4) which obviously limits me to PCIe 3.x speed credentials - obtained a couple of brandnew Supermicro X10 dual CPU mainboards recently.

Depending on the specific project, I could take a Kingston DC1500M, Samsung PM9A3, the new Micron 9400 PRO/MAX, etc, the new Solidigms etc..
And they could be connected in a pass-thru, JBOD or RAID configuration with the proper interface (bifurcation cards or HBA, RAID solutions from Broadcom/Avago, Marvell, Adaptec/Microsemi etc.)

Maxx_1150

May 16, 2021
!! HEUREKA !!

I think I finally found the "missing link" in Narrow ILM cooling - see here

- there's apparently available this IMHO very interesting adapter
UNIVERSAL Mounting Bracket for LGA-2011 Narrow ILM
(with it you should be able to mount many "ordinary" CPU coolers attached via a "clamping" mechanism onto
the Intel LGA-2011 Narrow ILM Socket - including for example the Noctua NH-L9x65 and many more)

Available via AliExpress and Ebay
(just ordered a couple to test it)

This adapter more or less let's you attach any AMD AM3/AM4 compatible cooler with a "clamping mechanism" on these server boards !
depending on the particular mainboard in question the following coolers might then be attached on top of it -

best to you
Maxx_1150

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
- there's apparently available this IMHO very interesting adapter
UNIVERSAL Mounting Bracket for LGA-2011 Narrow ILM
(with it you should be able to mount many "ordinary" CPU coolers attached via a "clamping" mechanism onto
the Intel LGA-2011 Narrow ILM Socket - including for example the Noctua NH-L9x65 and many more)
I have a couple of those mounting brackets and found that virtually every cooler with AMD mounting that I tried was too large at the base (fins, heatpipes, etc.) to fit inside the mounting frame. I have to admit that I didn't try NH-L9x65 though. The only conern you may have with that solution is that the cooler is downdraft and you won't have a lot of clearance between the top of the fan and the case lid.

My solution for narrow ILM was a (relatively) inexpensive Supermicro 2U passive cooler with a fan mounted on the front. In the picture, is a Noctua NF-A6-25. The included rubber mounts were inserted backwards through the fan and pushed in between the fins. Works well and is dead silent, but its mated to a 55W TDP E5-2630L CPU, so not a lot of load. I also had a different system with a higher wattage CPU and correspondingly more robust fan in the same arrangement that also worked well.

IMG_1989.jpg

Last edited:

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I was able to mount Noctua C14 cooler on Narrow ILM, just asked Noctua for spare brackets. I also have Noctua server cooler (single tower, don't remember model) with Narrow ILM on similar platform.
And just in case I have 120mm asetek with AM4 and 2011-3 narrow cooler, in case I need to get creative with cooling.

Maxx_1150

May 16, 2021
@Markess .. thank you very much for your suggestion. all input welcome. I indeed do have a couple of similar passive heatsink. Obviously that's a valid option !

take care,
Maxx_1150

Maxx_1150

May 16, 2021
I was able to mount Noctua C14 cooler on Narrow ILM, just asked Noctua for spare brackets. I also have Noctua server cooler (single tower, don't remember model) with Narrow ILM on similar platform.
And just in case I have 120mm asetek with AM4 and 2011-3 narrow cooler, in case I need to get creative with cooling.
@TLN - Many thanks for this update. Interesting approach. Will contact Noctua myself on this issue. Asetek ? Never heard of that brand. Will do some research here...

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
NM-XFB3
NM-XFB3.jpg
NM-XFB4
NM-XFB4.jpg
NM-XFB5
NM-XFB5.jpg
the part numbers are ONLY the brackets. they are ALL included in a Retail NH-U9DX i4

Last edited:

Maxx_1150

May 16, 2021
Indeed, many Supermicro Server boards are ATX form factor (not all). These Noctua Coolers are nice. Used them in a recent 5U SC-745 build centered on a X10DRI. But if you want to denoise a 2U Supermicro server, they are of no use - even the Noctua NH-U9DX i4 (NM-XFB3), is a tad higher than 12cm - versus the roughly 8cm of max height available in 2U cases.

Maxx_1150

May 16, 2021
Sorry ... both case types ('SC-743/745) are 4U not 5U. My mistake. Exact SKU I really don't know. It was a used system, not a newbuild..
I converted the case to the SQ variant (changed to dual redundant SQ-920 1U Power supplies, changed midspan and exhaust fans according to the SQ bill-of-material list) and finally converted the machine from passive cooling to active cooling driven by two of the Noctua NH-U12DX i4 coolers. They indeed fit and the machine is now acceptably quiet.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Indeed, many Supermicro Server boards are ATX form factor (not all). These Noctua Coolers are nice. Used them in a recent 5U SC-745 build centered on a X10DRI. But if you want to denoise a 2U Supermicro server, they are of no use - even the Noctua NH-U9DX i4 (NM-XFB3), is a tad higher than 12cm - versus the roughly 8cm of max height available in 2U cases.
I currently have a socket 2011-3 board in a desktop case with a Noctua NH-U9DX i4, which of course works very well.

My recommendation in a prior post was in response to your original post concerning using a 2U chassis. Along with the cooling solution in the photo, I'd placed a 40mm fan on the onboard RAID/HBA controller's heatsink (X10SRH-CF) and changed the fan profile using IPMI Tool. With 6 SATA drives I could maintain temperatures with the stock fan-wall fans set to 15% idle and about 33% max. It was a homelab file server though, so not a high load to contend with. A single PWS-920SQ for power. It sat in a rack about 4 feet from my head for a couple years and was almost inaudible at that distance. The disk noise was much more noticable than the fans.