FS: Atom C3558 Fanless Network Appliance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Zelle preferred as PayPal fees add up. Will also entertain trades since I like new toys and rotate through hardware regularly, though currently not in need of a whole lot. I think my reputation should help: Heatware

Local pickup available in Phoenix. Will ship internationally.

Like the title says, have some network appliances to sell. They are a custom OEM version of the Aaeon FWS-2360 that comes in a fanless chassis, so it's silent. Atom C3558 CPU, 4GB RAM, and 16GB Innodisk SSD. RAM/SSD are upgradable and ECC RAM is supported. It has 4 x Intel X553 NICs, 2 of which offer bypass functionality. WiFi card also integrated, though not particularly useful under pfSense. Currently using one as my home router. I'm quite the fan of the looks, form factor, and power usage (~10W). Power supply included. Currently has pfSense installed, but happy to put OPNsense on instead.

$145 each shipped domestically

Last edited:

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
If only they had a mulitgig nic since my Internet plan is past 1gbe now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Any way to rack mount these?
I don't have any brackets for them, but there are some screw holes on the sides for which you could 3D print your own bracket. Good news is that I just measured the height and it's pretty much exactly 1U in size.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
I read the spec sheet of FWS-2360, the ssd interface is msata?
By the way, I saw some appneta m70 with c3758 on ebay, the outlooks of m50 and m70 are pretty similar.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
I read the spec sheet of FWS-2360, the ssd interface is msata?
By the way, I saw some appneta m70 with c3758 on ebay, the outlooks of m50 and m70 are pretty similar.
Yeah, it is mSATA. Not sure why they went for that over M.2, but given that pfSense or the likes requires very little storage, the included Innodisk SSD should be plenty. I've used mine with it for years.

The M70 has the higher end CPU, but is not entirely passively cooled (there is a 40mm fan). Owned a few of those in the past as well. Looks like the ones on eBay are double the price, which in my opinion isn't worth it for a better CPU.

Reactions: newabc and Samir

oldfett

Jul 20, 2016
Is the power supply a wall wart or a power brick?
Are any potential firmware/BIOS updates for these publicly available or locked down?

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Is the power supply a wall wart or a power brick?
Are any potential firmware/BIOS updates for these publicly available or locked down?
Power brick. FSP one at that, so decent quality. You could swap it for one that sits on the wall if you'd like given that it's pretty standard 12V input.

As for BIOS, while it does have a custom OEM branded one currently (nothing locked down), I don't see why you wouldn't be able to flash the Aaeon one directly from their website given that it's just their motherboard in a fanless chassis. It's worth noting that the current BIOS on a random one I selected is actually more recent than what Aaeon has on their website. I can't think of a compelling reason to update the BIOS on these though.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Been a while, so another bump as I haven't sold them all.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I see that it is using the Intel X553 feature from the CPU/Chipset, which are 10GbE, yet it looks like the physical ports are only 1GbE copper, is that correct? So no 10GbE on these boxes?

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
I see that it is using the Intel X553 feature from the CPU/Chipset, which are 10GbE, yet it looks like the physical ports are only 1GbE copper, is that correct? So no 10GbE on these boxes?
Correct. 10GbE PHY has a price, space, and power premium, so, it's not always offered, even if the MAC supports it. Supermicro does the same on their motherboards, as do other vendors.

staticresident

Jul 13, 2023
Do you still have one of these? I was about to commit to a PC engines, but it only has 2GB of ram. I need to setup a web filter for my kids that are starting to use computers, so I think the option for more ram will be necessary.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Do you still have one of these? I was about to commit to a PC engines, but it only has 2GB of ram. I need to setup a web filter for my kids that are starting to use computers, so I think the option for more ram will be necessary.
I do. Feel free to PM me and we can take it from there.