raidix eraraid on 4 nvme - request your perf test

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NISMO1968

[ ... ]
Oct 19, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.vmware.com
ooph. not good. have you found any good alternatives? I've tried Dell's S150, Windows server 2022 Storage Spaces, StarWind's SAN software. So far the best is SS (about 50-65% of single disk), worse is StarWind's by far (about 10-20% of single disk), but admittedly that could be a settings issue.
StarWind has no in-house functionality to pool the NVMe drives. It uses either Linux MDRAID or ZFS for that purpose, none of which were designed to handle that amount of IOPS. Only to make things worse iSCSI is another sad story to tell - it's CPU hog. Don't get me wrong: they do have a properly designed products built around GPU-based RAID and using proper protocols like NVMe-oF/TCP & FC. But they are all hardware not software...

NISMO1968

[ ... ]
Oct 19, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.vmware.com
Seriously spreading false rumours is exactly what Russia does. Interestingly you do the same. Coincedence?

So no, xinnor is not funding Russia or Russia's war at all, actually more on the funding side for #Ukraine. And I lack words for people like you.
Dude I gave a link to the article on Blocks & Files. That's it! You disagree? Go argue with Chris Mellor on what he wrote!

P.S. There's some GRAID POV as well, just in case if you want to speak tech.

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
Dude I gave a link to the article on Blocks & Files. That's it! You disagree? Go argue with Chris Mellor on what he wrote!
That article is the source of your facts? Seriously?

Obviously I did exactly that: ask and received facts from Xinnor. What does that make you?

P.S. There's some GRAID POV as well, just in case if you want to speak tech.
No need for 2nd class.

---
PS: So, just to get it right: you spread false rumours only to post articles. Articles which sound more like bought ads from a competitor?

Last edited:

NISMO1968

[ ... ]
Oct 19, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.vmware.com
That article is the source of your facts? Seriously?

Obviuously I did exactly that: ask and received facts from Xinnor. What does that make you?

[ ... ]
Chris Mellor has a name within the IT community and in society, while you act anonymously... Blocks & Files, TheRegister etc are trusted and respected sources, and you're not. Your "I asked them and they told me..." is so childish and naive! I feel like I want to hug you :)

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
Chris Mellor has a name within the IT community and in society, while you act anonymously... Blocks & Files, TheRegister etc are trusted and respected sources, and you're not. Your "I asked them and they told me..." is so childish and naive! I feel like I want to hug you :)
You have zero clue, what you are talking about.

Instead you post some articles and none of your own tests and findings. +You are unable to see a difference between Marketing, Rumours and Tech. Seriously get a life.

+Ignore

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So just some thoughts since I know Chris and the SR team.
  1. StorageReview does hands-on testing. They also do things like vendor-written articles. That is a big reason STH is now so much larger than SR (not just like 5x.) If Kevin is testing, then someone competent is looing at storage from a hands-on perspective.
  2. The Reg is maybe 15-20% bigger than STH these days, largely because they post so much more content. They do relatively little hands-on and the gap would close if you included our YouTube. Blocks & Files is a much smaller site under the same publisher, but Chris is well-known in the industry, albeit for his spicy takes rather than extensive hands-on testing.
  3. Chris is like a real journalist while SR is like a newer version of the old whitepaper houses. If you have read my quarterly Letter from the Editor editions this year, that will probably make more sense.
  4. Perhaps the biggest takeaway though is that Xinnor/ StarWind/ GRAID need to get more scale so that way they are more defined in the market. If any of those fail and data is lost, one will be asked why a solution like Dell EMC, NetApp, Pure, DDN, HPE, and so forth was not chosen. The storage industry is notoriously difficult to go from startup to established player in because performance and features need to be better than established players with a smaller team and through a long proving period from a data security perspective. It is very hard to go from small to large in storage. What we are seeing here is a symptom of that.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
So just some thoughts since I know Chris and the SR team.
  1. StorageReview does hands-on testing. They also do things like vendor-written articles. That is a big reason STH is now so much larger than SR (not just like 5x.) If Kevin is testing, then someone competent is looing at storage from a hands-on perspective.
  2. The Reg is maybe 15-20% bigger than STH these days, largely because they post so much more content. They do relatively little hands-on and the gap would close if you included our YouTube. Blocks & Files is a much smaller site under the same publisher, but Chris is well-known in the industry, albeit for his spicy takes rather than extensive hands-on testing.
  3. Chris is like a real journalist while SR is like a newer version of the old whitepaper houses. If you have read my quarterly Letter from the Editor editions this year, that will probably make more sense.
  4. Perhaps the biggest takeaway though is that Xinnor/ StarWind/ GRAID need to get more scale so that way they are more defined in the market. If any of those fail and data is lost, one will be asked why a solution like Dell EMC, NetApp, Pure, DDN, HPE, and so forth was not chosen. The storage industry is notoriously difficult to go from startup to established player in because performance and features need to be better than established players with a smaller team and through a long proving period from a data security perspective. It is very hard to go from small to large in storage. What we are seeing here is a symptom of that.
point 4 reminds me of old adage - about buying, firing, and IBM. (replace it with Netapp/EMC if so desired)

Reactions: Patrick