Samsung PM983a M.2 22110 SSD NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 1.88TB - open box - $125 OBO + free ship

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
Another chapter in the budget storage saga... anybody find anything better? I wish the seller were on here so the net price could get under $100/ea.

EDIT: Back in stock. I bought 4.

Last edited:

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
Nice,
I've grabbed other 2 toshiba's from same seller; somehow i have feeling it may be a scam.

I've been doing some digging. Item location on eBay is listed as Baytown, TX. Seller has also listed on Mercari under the name "Ransel." There's an RP Computers LLC registered to a Ransel in... you guessed it, Baytown, TX.

Reactions: Madhelp and altmind

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
I've been doing some digging. Item location on eBay is listed as Baytown, TX. Seller has also listed on Mercari under the name "Ransel." There's an RP Computers LLC registered to a Ransel in... you guessed it, Baytown, TX.

~ we'll see - its hard to believe this price for 'brand new' claim.

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
I have bought some of these units for this seller before, all low powered hours <10.

I did have some problems with these units rebooting my test servers 1U Supermicro and 1U Dell R630 during sustained FIO write testing.

The temps seem to exceed 95c during heavy write loads (even with fans maxxed) and you would think it would throttle the IO in the firmware however during my testing the servers locked and rebooted before I encountered any loss in IOPS due to thermal throttling.

I'd like to apply small heatsink and re-test in the future if time allows.

As always YMMV but this is what I've encountered with the 1.8Tb units.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
I have bought some of these units for this seller before, all low powered hours <10.

I did have some problems with these units rebooting my test servers 1U Supermicro and 1U Dell R630 during sustained FIO write testing.

The temps seem to exceed 95c during heavy write loads (even with fans maxxed) and you would think it would throttle the IO in the firmware however during my testing the servers locked and rebooted before I encountered any loss in IOPS due to thermal throttling.

As always YMMV but this is what I've encountered with the 1.8Tb units.
Thanks for sharing the issues with heat. I had read a couple others' experiences that also mentioned heat. I was planning to slap these in a Supermicro E300 using a Gigabyte CMT4034 4x M2 NVMe card which has a heatsink. (EDIT: oops, just opened the ones I got from Newegg, and neither heatsink nor brackets were included. :rolleyes:)

Would the Toshiba be expected to run any cooler? Can't find thermal benchmarks.

Last edited:

bambinone

Dec 26, 2020
Chicago, Illinois

Yes, I forgot that I ended up doing this. Heatsinks on the controller packages and a fan pointed at the carrier card.

bilson

Oct 5, 2016
While trying to talk myself out of buying at $125 (price for one) someone bought them :) I find myself often overbuying because it's a good deal and then not using the item to it's fullest. Considering that prices for ssd are on a downward trend maybe it's a good thing I didn't.

Reactions: CyklonDX

jasonsansone

Sep 15, 2020
I have 6x of these drives used for Ceph in Supermicro 2U servers. I have added heatsinks to the drives and the chassis fans never go below 50%. Without any load on the cluster, the drives idle around 55C. Under heavy IOP load they maintain a little under 70C. If I remove the heatsinks and turn the chassis fans down to 30%, you could sear a steak with the controller.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Yes, the Kioxia/Toshiba XD5 are not the speediest, but $120/2TB is a reasonable price for them at the moment. Also PM983 (22110) in about the same price range, or if you have a spare slot, P3600 AIC, which should be significantly faster. All older-gen NVMe but with sturdy endurance and PLP.

Reactions: gb00s

arazeru

Oct 11, 2020
As another data point, I bought two of these drives in ~5 months ago @125/ea from this seller. Similarly mine appeared new. I have them in a 2u supermicro server using this dual nvme card https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TRVHW1H

I can confirm that they run hot at idle, though I have a 60mm fan pointed at them w/o heatsinks
Code:
Temperature Sensor 1:               57 Celsius
Temperature Sensor 2:               75 Celsius
Temperature Sensor 3:               91 Celsius

Reactions: zac1