Qotom Q750G5 experiences?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rootwyrm

Mar 25, 2017
www.rootwyrm.com
Anyone have any experience with these or the Q730G5? I know Topton's the new 'hotness' but these boxes look pretty interesting. Celeron J4125, and a 5 pack of i225V-B3's. Only mSATA and 2.5", but does have an E-key slot and SIM slot. And given the reviews, well, frankly don't see how they could be worse than the Topton/KingNovy/etc. and the older models seemed to get positive responses here.
Plus, they're actually cheaper. The non-wifi J4125 is just $120USD.

The model in question - Q730G5/Q750G5.

Reactions: abq

rootwyrm

Mar 25, 2017
www.rootwyrm.com
Well unless you are really needing the extra port, you can buy a N5105 with 4xi226 for about the same price:
US $126.17
Yeah. And what does that get you?
Maybe a real N5101, maybe a QS or ES, who knows? Promise of an i226, but is it really or is it a sanded and burned i225 B1? And what happens when that atrociously bad design cooks itself in warranty? Go read the threads on what people are actually getting with Topton and their ilk. If they ever get what they ordered.
The adage of 'you get what you pay for' applies quadruply with Aliexpress. Especially fly-by-night vendors that cease to exist when it's no longer convenient to.

Qotom in contrast has been around since 2004, has done ODM for big names, and has an actual website with actual BIOS updates, that appear to actually be maintained. (The latest for the Q730 is from June of this year.) That's why I'm curious about experiences with this model.

Reactions: Borromini

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
I have one, its not bad. BIOS is simple, the none usable settings are hidden. Running great so far, case is fine.
Running OPNsense bare metal.

But:
  • shipping is expensive (about 47 US$ to my country (Europe)), makes a total of almost 170 US $ plus import fees. For this price I can get almost a N5105.
  • Mine has a gap between the CPU and the aluminum block, no cooper block there (shrug). I did add a 0.3mm shim now temps are fine.
  • only one RAM slot and mSATA. I can live with the single RAM slot, but mSATA is a weird connector, only a few new mSATA SSDs are available (and quite expensive).

It's a good unit with its flaws, but I would not buy a second time due the expensive shipping.

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
> but does have an E-key slot and SIM slot.

are you sure it got any sim slot and the modem? thats another $40 feature for most other vendors.

or if they got a sim slot, but no device on-board or off-board to use this sim, what's the point?

rootwyrm

Mar 25, 2017
www.rootwyrm.com
  • shipping is expensive (about 47 US$ to my country (Europe)), makes a total of almost 170 US $ plus import fees. For this price I can get almost a N5105.
  • Mine has a gap between the CPU and the aluminum block, no cooper block there (shrug). I did add a 0.3mm shim now temps are fine.
  • only one RAM slot and mSATA. I can live with the single RAM slot, but mSATA is a weird connector, only a few new mSATA SSDs are available (and quite expensive).

It's a good unit with its flaws, but I would not buy a second time due the expensive shipping.
Thanks, Mike, this is super helpful information. I saw the case manufacturer (yet another different company used by several) had started cheaping out, but given the loads on mine, I'm not too worried about Alu vs Cu.

Single DIMM doesn't bug me; this box is running virtual on 2GB just fine. 8GB's plenty, the trick is finding just one 8GB SO-DIMM. ;P

The mSATA threw me off a bit too, but I actually grok why - primary customers are moving existing mSATA or spares. Plus cheaper and easier routing than PCIe. They do still provide the 2.5" SATA though, yes?

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Thanks, Mike, this is super helpful information. I saw the case manufacturer (yet another different company used by several) had started cheaping out, but given the loads on mine, I'm not too worried about Alu vs Cu.
Once I polished the block and installed the 0.3mm shim temps were fine, even under load. Between 15°-20° less, about 30° to 35° in ilde with OPNsense, Linux even less. Under stress in Linux it went up to 50°-60° witch is fine. But I never tested under full load for several hours. I still would prefer a cooper block, I would gladly pay the one additional $.

Single DIMM doesn't bug me; this box is running virtual on 2GB just fine. 8GB's plenty, the trick is finding just one 8GB SO-DIMM. ;P
I think this problem can be managed :)

The mSATA threw me off a bit too, but I actually grok why - primary customers are moving existing mSATA or spares. Plus cheaper and easier routing than PCIe. They do still provide the 2.5" SATA though, yes?
Yeah, mSATA is a bit ugly. The only drives I can get here are a KINGSTON SSDNow KC600 and TRANSCEND SSD 230S, 250GB is about 10$ or 33% more than a MX500 in 2.5". So I just use a Kingfast mSATA ordered earlier from Aliexpress for a different project. Drive is running fine since january in different machines (got one in my APU2 years ago that's why I ordered the same brand). I think everyone gave up mSATA in favour of m.2 SATA and then m.2 NVME, simply because it's faster. And there are enough PCI Lanes availabe on newer CPUs.
One normal 2.5" SATA connector is available, cable is included. Did not try it out, can't say if the cables are bent a bit too much (had this problem with a Topton unit).

Last edited:

scythefwd

Jan 7, 2023
I just ordered one, and I'm seeing a sata data connector, so 2.5" ssd should be fine. That said, I didn't see a power connector in the pics, so I'm assuming it's proprietary and coming in the box.

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Yeah, cable is included. Not sure (can't open the device because it's running as a firewall) but i think the connector is right next to the SATA port.