Coofun (and others) UM350 Ryzen Mini PC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Neel Chauhan

Oct 20, 2022
Links: Amazon

The UM350 Mini PC is a compact desktop PC branded by manufacturers like Coofun, Minisforum, and others. Coofun was much cheaper on Amazon US, but Minisforum is also on other sites like AliExpress. This PC costs around US$280-340 for a 16GB/512GB variant, but can be found for cheaper if you go with lower specs for as low as $220 on Amazon. For some reason UM350s are more expensive on AliExpress.

Specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3550H (2.1GHz Quad-core Octa-thread Mobile CPU)
  • 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial DDR4
  • 512GB NVMe SSD (Unbranded model)
  • Single Intel 2.5GbE I225-V NIC
  • Intel Wi-Fi AC7265
  • Windows 11 (or 10, based on seller)
Why?

I bought two of the UM350 PCs mainly to replace two power-hungry tower servers (one HPE ML110 Gen10 and one Ryzen X470D4U homebuilt). I was intrigued by small compact servers for many years, but pre-2017 and pre-Ryzen, small machines were very underpowered: they were at best dual core, or a Quad-core "Celeron" with very weak cores. Compact business PCs just took off in the "new" market around then so refurb wasn't an option.

The advantage of the UM350 is that it's small while being a better deal than the HP T740 if PCIe slots aren't needed, yet has an Intel 2.5GbE NIC. However, the T740 has the advantage of a PCIe slot which makes sense for pfSense or >2.5GbE networking, but the stock NIC is Gigabit Realtek.

The UM350 is also very easy to open, just push the top cover and you got the RAM and SSD. I haven't had a computer as easy or elegant to open since one of my teachers gave me an old PowerMac G4, far from the soldiered everything modern Apple machines are.

The UM350 has one big disadvantage: it does not like 16GB DDR4 SO-DIMMs. I tried Corsair 16GB SO-DIMMs in both my Mini PCs and neither worked. I had to revert to the stock Crucial 8DM SO-DIMMs.

Installing Linux

I replaced the stock Windows 11 installation with openSUSE Leap 15.4 in the server configuration (meaning no desktop) on both my UM350s. One of them runs Nextcloud (in Podman) and a Caddy web server, and the other runs a Tor middle relay (via two instances).

One caveat: while openSUSE installed fine, the UM350 UEFI still booted into the Windows UEFI loader, but Windows was wiped while the EFI system partition wasn't. I got an error from the Windows bootloader. I had to go to the BIOS menu, boot openSUSE, and remove the Windows entry with efibootmgr.

Other LInux/BSD distros may be different, but haven't tried them.

UPDATE: I have tried FreeBSD on the UM350. Unlike openSUSE, FreeBSD's installer wiped the EFI boot partition and put it's own, and OpenBSD is also the same. FreeBSD 13.1 supports the hardware (even as a desktop), but *BSD (and Windows) is slightly slower than Linux. I haven't tested other Linux distros, however.

Pictures & Unboxing

PXL_20221020_235359852.jpg
PXL_20221021_001748205.jpg
PXL_20221021_001834041.jpg
PXL_20221021_001848530.jpg
PXL_20221021_001903095.jpg
PXL_20221021_001935267.jpg
PXL_20221021_001943411.jpg

Last edited:

Glock24

May 13, 2019
Very nice and a decent price! I would not trust that "unbranded" SSD for anything important though.

Neel Chauhan

Oct 20, 2022
Very nice and a decent price! I would not trust that "unbranded" SSD for anything important though.
The "unbranded" SSD is one of those low-cost Chinese OEM like those "cheap" SSDs you see on AliExpress/Amazon/eBay and the like. I wrote "unbranded" but dmesg shows "VICKTER" which I can't find on Google, Amazon, or AliExpress.

I still find it weird that Crucial RAM is used, when Crucial is Micron's retail brand and isn't usually used in OEM systems.

I'm not saying that I would trust the SSD, but Chinese Mini PCs use them to be "cheaper" than brand-name and custom-built PCs and Macs.

Reactions: Glock24

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
How about its fan noise during the CPU stress test? It looks like being taller than the 1 litter size TinyMiniMicro ones. Will its fan noise be less?

Neel Chauhan

Oct 20, 2022
How about its fan noise during the CPU stress test? It looks like being taller than the 1 litter size TinyMiniMicro ones. Will its fan noise be less?
I ended up returning it and going back to my power-hungry setup, but the fan noise is moderate under full load. Not too noisy, since these boxes use laptop CPUs.

It is taller than the 1L TinyMiniMicro nodes since higher-end Chinese Mini PCs like the UM350 are very different beasts from Dell/HP/Lenovo boxes. Chinese Mini PCs often use laptop CPUs when TinyMiniMicro use low power desktop parts, and the TMM boxes are designed to be tucked behind a monitor more so than their Chinese counterparts.

Reactions: newabc

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
I ended up returning it and going back to my power-hungry setup, but the fan noise is moderate under full load. Not too noisy, since these boxes use laptop CPUs.

It is taller than the 1L TinyMiniMicro nodes since higher-end Chinese Mini PCs like the UM350 are very different beasts from Dell/HP/Lenovo boxes. Chinese Mini PCs often use laptop CPUs when TinyMiniMicro use low power desktop parts, and the TMM boxes are designed to be tucked behind a monitor more so than their Chinese counterparts.
Thanks for your information.

I think HP T740 will have lower fan noise and be more stable than the TMM boxes. If the Elitemini B550 had been using the intel NICs, I think I will prefer it than the T740, since it is using a low profile CPU fan and heat sink that will make lesser noise than the laptop fan/heat sink parts.

Laptop CPUs have an issue that the motherboard will limit its power output to avoid the continuous high temperature. Because of the different fan ventilation systems, desktop and embedded CPUs can keep on high power consumption during stress test.