(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

anemoiac

Jan 7, 2021
Heads up - these are currently up on Woot.com (daily "deal" site now owned by Amazon) for $92 and up, depending on config.
Edit: I didn't buy one of these, but saw them posted for a similar price to the thread on here and thought I'd leave a link for anyone interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Seems to me that the Lenovo M600 and M700 are a better deal. I have a M600 and it's a nice little box.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Seems to me that the Lenovo M600 and M700 are a better deal. I have a M600 and it's a nice little box.
Yep, the Lenovos are much better. The lower power on the 5070 is quite nice though. I was also using one to run my docker containers for a while before switching to a Prodesk 600 g4 mini. My recent experiment to turn one of them into a router wasn't as successful as I had hoped. They have been switched over to Chrome OS Flex boxes for my parents to use.

Reactions: Samir and glow

c1v1ta

Sep 21, 2022
Hi,

For those who're interested in expanding RAM, I just put my spare Patriot 32GB DDR4-2666 (PSD432G26662S, dual rank) in the box. It works and BIOS shows ~36GB (including one Micron 4GB single rank). I haven't tested it in Windows but in Linux dmidecode shows Volatile Size: 32 GB for that RAM slot. The size shows 0 kB and manufacturer is unknown however. Anyway, for the stability concern, I removed the 4GB one and now free command shows around 29GB total to use.

Bash:
# dmidecode 3.3
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.2.1 present.

Handle 0x000D, DMI type 17, 84 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x000B
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 4 GB
        Form Factor: SODIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: SODIMM1
        Bank Locator: Not Specified
        Type: DDR4
        Type Detail: Synchronous
        Speed: 3200 MT/s
        Manufacturer: Micron_Technolog
        Part Number: 4ATF51264HZ-3G2J1
        Configured Memory Speed: 2400 MT/s
        Minimum Voltage: 1.5 V
        Maximum Voltage: 1.5 V
        Configured Voltage: 1.5 V
        Memory Technology: DRAM
        Memory Operating Mode Capability: Volatile memory
        Firmware Version: Not Specified
        Module Manufacturer ID: Bank 45, Hex 0x80
        Module Product ID: Unknown
        Memory Subsystem Controller Manufacturer ID: Unknown
        Memory Subsystem Controller Product ID: Unknown
        Non-Volatile Size: None
        Volatile Size: 4 GB
        Cache Size: None
        Logical Size: None

Handle 0x000F, DMI type 17, 84 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x000B
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 0 kB
        Form Factor: SODIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: SODIMM2
        Bank Locator: Not Specified
        Type: DDR4
        Type Detail: Synchronous
        Speed: 2666 MT/s
        Manufacturer: Undefined                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Part Number: PSD432G26662S
        Configured Memory Speed: 2400 MT/s
        Minimum Voltage: 1.5 V
        Maximum Voltage: 1.5 V
        Configured Voltage: 1.5 V
        Memory Technology: DRAM
        Memory Operating Mode Capability: Volatile memory
        Firmware Version: Not Specified
        Module Manufacturer ID: Bank 3, Hex 0x85
        Module Product ID: Unknown
        Memory Subsystem Controller Manufacturer ID: Unknown
        Memory Subsystem Controller Product ID: Unknown
        Non-Volatile Size: None
        Volatile Size: 32 GB
        Cache Size: None
        Logical Size: None

Just some random findings. Worth a try if you have some spare RAMs.

duxet

Oct 9, 2022
Could someone send me result of running lspci -vv command on Dell Wyse 5070 machine?

I have a very weird issue. On built in Realtek NIC I am not able to reach more than 250mbps throughput and the cause seems to be a PCIe link speed, which is limited to gen1x1:
Code:
LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s unlimited, L1 <64us
                        ClockPM+ Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot- ASPMOptComp+
I've upgraded BIOS to latest version (1.18.0), tried to disable all peripherals and also tried two different Linux kernel versions (5.10 and 5.19), but I still get the same result :(

duxet

Oct 9, 2022
I updated already. Dowload again.
I see you also have PCIe link speed set to 2.5GT/s, so I guess it's not a faulty hardware but rather some software issue. Even if link width is really x1 only, then the speed should be set to 5GT/s.

In this blog post there's a speed test result with 900mbps score, so maybe there's some bug in newer kernel/BIOS versions :rolleyes:

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
I see you also have PCIe link speed set to 2.5GT/s, so I guess it's not a faulty hardware but rather some software issue. Even if link width is really x1 only, then the speed should be set to 5GT/s.

In this blog post there's a speed test result with 900mbps score, so maybe there's some bug in newer kernel/BIOS versions :rolleyes:
Yes,just tried iperf3 and got ~940. Using linux 5.19.14.

[ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.10 GBytes 942 Mbits/sec 0 sender
[ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.10 GBytes 941 Mbits/sec receiver

Reactions: Samir and duxet

glow

Mar 22, 2022
(not adding much to your conversation):

same,
iperf3 between two linux realtek hosts (one of them a Wyse 5070)

[ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.09 GBytes 939 Mbits/sec 286 sender
[ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.09 GBytes 938 Mbits/sec receiver

Mine also shows
LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1

iirc, Intel GbE controllers used to run at PCIe 1.1 speeds, mostly because the extra power of a PCIe 2.0 lane was unnecessary. 2.5GT/s is more than enough for 1GbE, even with overhead. Actual PCIe bandwidth at 2.5GT/s is something around 2Gbps. Protocol was still PCIe 2.0+, iirc. I have to assume Realtek is doing something similar, for similar reasons.

Latest 1.18 bios, Kernel 6.0 now.

iperf3 between a the Wyse 5070 and a Windows Connect-X4 host:
[ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.09 GBytes 940 Mbits/sec 0 sender
[ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.09 GBytes 939 Mbits/sec receiver
Fewer retries, FWIW

Same results in reverse (-R), though retries went to 0 on the two linux devices, and that column went away with the Windows host. Dunno why. [EDIT2: still Don't know why, but just running it multiple times seems to clear away the retries]
[EDIT3: spoke too soon]

EDIT: have you tried this with a direct connection? Maybe one of the hops is a router that is doing CPU packet handling, and is a bottleneck?

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and duxet

duxet

Oct 9, 2022
I think the problem I have is the same one as reported in this kernel bug, as upload speed is fine in my case: it's just download that's ~4 times slower than it should be.

5.15 kernel should be available soon in OpenWRT x86 snapshot builds, so I'll just wait for it. For now I've decided to use one more USB ethernet adapter.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
It's a bit of a stretch and obviously OpenWRT is not Debian (or Ubuntu), but from my experience the Realtek NICs don't work very well without their firmware loaded (though as far as I can recall they do work).

On Debian you would install the package "firmware-realtek" (seems generally referred to as rtl_nic in Debian and OpenWRT), if it is not the above mentioned kernel issue, you could look into that?

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
It doesn't look like it will work with the PCIe Coral TPU that uses an A+E key. According to Dell's specifications, the M.2 2230 WLAN slot is CNVi.

I want to correct what I said before, Google Coral PCIe A+E works just fine in the WLAN slot.

Bash:
foureight84@wyse5070:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Gemini Lake Host Bridge (rev 03)
00:00.3 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor Gaussian Mixture Model (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation GeminiLake [UHD Graphics 605] (rev 03)
00:0e.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor High Definition Audio (rev 03)
00:0f.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor Trusted Execution Engine Interface (rev 03)
00:12.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor SATA Controller (rev 03)
00:14.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Gemini Lake PCI Express Root Port (rev f3)
00:14.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Gemini Lake PCI Express Root Port (rev f3)
00:15.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:17.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 31b4 (rev 03)
00:17.3 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 31ba (rev 03)
00:1c.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor LPC Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 SMBus: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor Gaussian Mixture Model (rev 03)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
02:00.0 System peripheral: Global Unichip Corp. Coral Edge TPU

foureight84@wyse5070:~$ lspci -nn | grep 089a
02:00.0 System peripheral [0880]: Global Unichip Corp. Coral Edge TPU [1ac1:089a]

foureight84@wyse5070:~$ ls /dev/apex_0
/dev/apex_0

Reactions: Samir and epidermal

duxet

Oct 9, 2022
On Debian you would install the package "firmware-realtek" (seems generally referred to as rtl_nic in Debian and OpenWRT), if it is not the above mentioned kernel issue, you could look into that?
Realtek firmware is added by default to x86-64 images:
Code:
~# ls /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8* | wc -l
I've eventually upgraded to OpenWRT snapshot build with 5.15 kernel and now download speed finally reaches ~930mbps. But guess what... now upload is throttled to 20mbps. Now I see why many people prefer Intel NICs :rolleyes:

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Realtek firmware is added by default to x86-64 images:
Code:
~# ls /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8* | wc -l
I've eventually upgraded to OpenWRT snapshot build with 5.15 kernel and now download speed finally reaches ~930mbps. But guess what... now upload is throttled to 20mbps. Now I see why many people prefer Intel NICs :rolleyes:
Yep. I had issues with this box in openwrt, pfsense/opnsense, and mikrotik. I didn't bother trying vyos. The problem with these realtek nics (at least from my experience) is that they would randomly disconnect. I didn't have issues with speed, but it could be that the disconnect occured before throttling became and issue.