Multigigabit Wi-Fi 6/E upgrade

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hummous

Jul 20, 2020
I already ordered a Netgear MS510TXUP switch. Is that a good one? Now I’m deciding on the AP. UniFi 6 Enterprise is out of stock. So I am deciding between these

Ruckus R750
Netgear WAX630E

Which one is better?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Not sure why you'd consider a $1000+ AP for home use. Netgear supports the 6GHz band and is a fraction of the price of the Ruckus.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
No, higher price does not necessarily mean a better product for any given use. In a home environment, there would be no real advantages. To the contrary in fact, as mentioned, the Netgear actually has support for some things (namely the 6GHz band) that the Ruckus doesn't.

hummous

Jul 20, 2020
No, higher price does not necessarily mean a better product for any given use. In a home environment, there would be no real advantages. To the contrary in fact, as mentioned, the Netgear actually has support for some things (namely the 6GHz band) that the Ruckus doesn't.
I don't really need 6E. It would be a nice bonus. I need a reasonable reliability at long range more than anything. My outdoor Ring cameras keep disconnecting.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Datasheet on the Netgear indicates it has about double the antenna gain of the Ruckus (but no mention as to sensitivity). With that said, you're not going to overcome physics. If you can't locate the AP closer to the devices, maybe get something with external antennas that are directional instead of omni-directional. That will make way more difference than throwing money at fancy APs.

hummous

Jul 20, 2020
Datasheet on the Netgear indicates it has about double the antenna gain of the Ruckus (but no mention as to sensitivity). With that said, you're not going to overcome physics. If you can't locate the AP closer to the devices, maybe get something with external antennas that are directional instead of omni-directional. That will make way more difference than throwing money at fancy APs.
I just checked and the Netgear’s 6Ghz is only 2x2 which makes it slower than the 5Ghz. Disappointing, not really much point to it having 6Ghz since I’m not in a crowded apartment building with lots of 5Ghz interference.

Ipse

Aug 21, 2022
I'm cheap... I got a Netgear RAX50 refurbished to repurpose as a wifi 6 AP.
While not 6E capable, it does do 4x4 in the 5GHz band, 160MHz channel.
Only gigabit ports, but at a few meters distance, I get close to gigabit speeds on the clients.

Considering how poor the Netgear software options are, maybe a solid AC access point running 3rd party software would do better, depending on your needs and expectations. My example is the other AP I have, an old Asus RT-AC68u running Merlin. The flexibility is amazing by comparison.

Reactions: Amrhn