Dell HBA330 real world performance?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chmedly

Aug 26, 2022
I'm wondering what kinds of numbers I can expect to see, particularly for sequential read and write for a JBOD setup on the Dell HBA330 card. Any one care to share their speeds? Or give me a wag about what (8) spinning drives can do hanging off one of these cards? Sure, you want to know what file system is pooling the drives. Well, tell me what will give the best speeds. I suspect that ZFS is the direction I'll go but would love some other suggestions. (btw, I'm looking at SAS drives in the 4-8TB range so probably somewhere between 120-200MB/s write speed).

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
Haven't tested to that extent, but expect to not be bottlenecked when not using expanders.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
(btw, I'm looking at SAS drives in the 4-8TB range so probably somewhere between 120-200MB/s write speed).
With 6 SAS drives (HGST 8TB Helium) connected to an SAS expander and then to a very similar HBA, I have no issue writing at 150MB/sec to each drive at the same time. That's raw, with no file system. Reads are closer to 200MB/sec.

You will trivially get 100MB/sec per drive both read and write (sequential), regardless of the file system. Multiply that 100 by the number of data drives (so, if you use RAIDZ2 on 8 drives, that's 6 data drives and 2 parity), and you'll get a very good minimum estimate for performance.