How to avoid manic depression when partitioning your NIC using SR-IOV

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

heromode

May 25, 2020
OK just a short post, but after my experience, it's better to get this out there, it might just save someone's life in the future:

Never, ever copy-paste command lines from PDF files!!

Hours and hours searching for the reason i spent, installing, compiling, crying, and then finally drinking:

On page 227 of the Solarflare Server Adapter User Guide it says:
Adapter configuration options are set using the sfboot utility v4.5.0 or later from the Solarflare Linux Utilities package (SF‐107601‐LS issue 28 or later). The firmware variant must be set to full‐feature / Virtualization. # sfboot firmware‐variant=full‐feature
now stupid me tries to copy paste that command. Lets compare that copypaste with a manually written command:

# sfboot firmware‐variant=full‐feature
# sfboot firmware-variant=full-feature

notice the difference?

There's like a TWO PIXEL difference in the god damn dash :mad:

I just had to make this post, because even if it prevents just one life from being ruined, it's worth it.

Last edited:

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Awesome!

I first experienced this doing a copy-paste a password from a password recovery email after which I try to first paste into an application like Notepad++ which highlights any non-ASCII characters.

Reactions: heromode

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
Yup - I had this happen once before. I had some SQL database names emailed to me from a Mac, which were copied/pasted from an email. I created the DBs by copy/pasting the names and they all had the shorter dash (en dash?). Took a while to figure out why no one could connect to the DBs.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Notepad++ doesn't show me anything different. But echo '....'|hexdump -C does show the differences.

jdnz

Apr 29, 2021
the one that gives me grief is 'smart' editors in things like outlook that kindly turn any occurence of '--' into a long (em) dash - really easy to miss

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Ah I already had my preferences' encoding to UTF-8. It shows up if I change to ANSI.

You can also use its Find to search for characters: Enable Regular Expressions, and use [^\x00-\x7F]+ for the value.