EU Huawei RH2288H V3 (ddr4/v4) full fronts 187€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
Currently there are 3.5 caddies on aliexpess, a lot of 10 for roughly 68 USD. (with screws if you ask the buyer)

aandrea

Aug 8, 2022
269 / 5.000

hi everyone I need help, I recently bought a refurbishd rh2288h v3 someone could send me the drivers for windows server 2016 and the updates for bios and firmware. I tried to register on the huawei site but my request was refused.

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
269 / 5.000

hi everyone I need help, I recently bought a refurbishd rh2288h v3 someone could send me the drivers for windows server 2016 and the updates for bios and firmware. I tried to register on the huawei site but my request was refused.
Mine was too at first. Just reply to the email they say where you can appeal with pictures of the sn on the ibmc and the case (a picture of the full chassis probably doesn't hurt) and they'll let you in.

Reactions: aandrea

Ardescat

Mar 22, 2022
I am loving this server. Ended up getting one back in June and learned a lot getting it setup and starting a not-so-scrappy homelab.
I've decked it out with a pair of 2683 V4s with 256GB of RAM. 8-Disk 2.5" version with 5 Hitachi 1TB SAS drives and 3 more old laptop SATA drives I had lying around just to maximize storage. Currently running ESXi on the USB 3.0 stick on the inside, with a 2TB NVMe that's hooked up through a PCI-e NVMe adapter.

Currently the middle of planning a migration form ESXi to ProxMox so I can experiment further.

My disks are currently running off the LSI 2308 mezz card, and it's terrible on ESXi, and a few other things. No cache on that raid controller makes it terrible for performance. The Huawei firmware for it only has it in IR mode; looking to get it into IT mode so I can just passthrough the disks. Has anyone here attempted to do so and has found firmware that can be used on it?

I doubt I'll be able to easily source another mezz card, and I already have the remaining PCI-e slots planned out for further expansion, so looking to making this count without bricking the mezz card.

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
I am loving this server. Ended up getting one back in June and learned a lot getting it setup and starting a not-so-scrappy homelab.
I've decked it out with a pair of 2683 V4s with 256GB of RAM. 8-Disk 2.5" version with 5 Hitachi 1TB SAS drives and 3 more old laptop SATA drives I had lying around just to maximize storage. Currently running ESXi on the USB 3.0 stick on the inside, with a 2TB NVMe that's hooked up through a PCI-e NVMe adapter.

Currently the middle of planning a migration form ESXi to ProxMox so I can experiment further.

My disks are currently running off the LSI 2308 mezz card, and it's terrible on ESXi, and a few other things. No cache on that raid controller makes it terrible for performance. The Huawei firmware for it only has it in IR mode; looking to get it into IT mode so I can just passthrough the disks. Has anyone here attempted to do so and has found firmware that can be used on it?

I doubt I'll be able to easily source another mezz card, and I already have the remaining PCI-e slots planned out for further expansion, so looking to making this count without bricking the mezz card.
Above in the thread the files for IT mode are right there. Also the internet is full of IT mode flashing tuts.

Reactions: Ardescat

Ardescat

Mar 22, 2022
Above in the thread the files for IT mode are right there. Also the internet is full of IT mode flashing tuts.
I actually couldn't find (double and triple checked) any IT mode firmware for that controller referenced in this thread. Likewise, the Huawei site also doesn't have any official IT firmware for that specific model of the LSI 2308 mezz card.

There are some other firmware for the 2308 itself (like MicroCentre -- P.S. they moved the LSI drivers under Broadcom since the acquisition for those of you who are new like me and looking for them for other models), however as mine came with the mezz card specific for the server, I'm hesitant to just toss another firmware on it regardless of the tutorials I've found.
If anyone's already experimented with flashing more generic firmware on a mezz card, I'm all ears to hear about it, as this is my first run at doing it on a custom mezz version (assuming it makes a difference).

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
I actually couldn't find (double and triple checked) any IT mode firmware for that controller referenced in this thread. Likewise, the Huawei site also doesn't have any official IT firmware for that specific model of the LSI 2308 mezz card.

There are some other firmware for the 2308 itself (like MicroCentre -- P.S. they moved the LSI drivers under Broadcom since the acquisition for those of you who are new like me and looking for them for other models), however as mine came with the mezz card specific for the server, I'm hesitant to just toss another firmware on it regardless of the tutorials I've found.
If anyone's already experimented with flashing more generic firmware on a mezz card, I'm all ears to hear about it, as this is my first run at doing it on a custom mezz version (assuming it makes a difference).
Are you sure your came with a 2308?
I bought from this seller and mine came with the 9308 same card as everyone else and the IT mode firmware was posted here.
Right, it only contains the IR firmware. I've uploaded the IT version here:
However, the version published by Huawei is quite old (P12), if you have the SR130 (no BBU/no cache) then you can also use the latest firmware package from Broadcom since it's a standard SAS3008 (LSI9300):

Ardescat

Mar 22, 2022
Are you sure its a 2308? Otherwise buy this one, its working in IT Mode.

I'm sure-sure.
It's the SR120 which uses the LSI SAS2308 chip
1661459815785.png1661459850814.png

Mine came from a different seller based in the U.S., at about 1/3 of the price I would have spent from up in Canada; I believe the UK seller has a lot nicer hardware... still trying to source a alternative riser card (2 lanes with the 2x 8-pins power adapters) so I can plug in a decent GPU for some delicious CUDA cores.

Ardescat

Mar 22, 2022
Tried flashing it anyway; looks like it doesn't matter if it was a mezz card or not given that it's the same thing regardless
Just my paranoia...

USB loaded with FreeDos to make it bootable, with the files to flash in the USB root and voila.
Next thing to source for this server is the SD Card Module

SecCon

Arkham Asylum Server Mgmt
May 26, 2022
@Shalita
This thread is mainly about the 2U RH2288H, I suggest you make a new thread about the 1U 1288 ...