Anyone using TP-Link Omada based infrastructure ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
I am at a point where I am considering joining the Ubiquiti Cult, but can't justify certain items pricing for home use - Enter TP-Link Omada.

For my needs (for managed devices), I figure I can get away with:
- a simple HW Controller (Oc200, $110 CAD)
- SFP Router/FW (ER7206, $170 CAD)
- main managed switch, dual SFP+, 8x 2.5Gbps, POE+ (TL-SG3210XHP-M2, $590 CAD)
- AC1750 APs (EAP245 V3, $100 CAD)

I am looking at roughly $870 CAD + $100 per Access Point to get started, with the majority of the cost being the main switch.
I figure that any other ports that I need in the future can be cheap un-managed addons.

Would anyone care to offer an opinion as to this stuff being decent or crap ? Buy or Stay away ?

thanks in advance.
Allan

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
not bad, but expensive. one device can be both controller, switch and a router, if you want

Allan74

May 15, 2019
The price of the TP-Link 10 port Dual SFP+/8 port 2.5Gbps POE+ switch is the 1 thing that still has me looking to Ubiquity......it's more expensive than a Dream Machine Pro by roughly $150 CAD.

The point of this was to be cheaper than Ubiquity...not comparable. If it's not worth it, it's not worth it.

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
get one router and 2 random APs. you dont need centralized AP management unless you got a hospital/dorm or a stadium.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
The management is literally the only reason I am considering this gear, so that I don't have to manage each node all in standalone mode, as I am doing right now.

segfault

Apr 5, 2016
hasno.info
I was using Ubiquity UAP-AC-PRO and AC-Lite gear across multiple sites for years (my home, parents, in-laws, cabin in the woods). They weren't very good/stable with firmware. Depending on the "stable" firmware generation I'd have devices just stop passing traffic and APs doing the same at times.

I deployed TP-Link Omada last year when updating my in-laws place and it's been great so far. I just deployed EAP670's are my own place and they've been quite stable.

The management is great and centralized management makes it easy to handle things like IOT vlans and guest networks.

The controller software can run in a container or on a VM. I did deploy an OC200 at my in-laws place.

That switch with 2.5GbE is a lot different than a UDM Pro.

I'd suggest checking out the ubiquity forums on the set of devices you'd be comparing to. If you don't need those 10GbE SFP+ ports there are probably cheaper viable options on the Omada side as well.

Reactions: Angus

Allan74

May 15, 2019
I was using Ubiquity UAP-AC-PRO and AC-Lite gear across multiple sites for years (my home, parents, in-laws, cabin in the woods). They weren't very good/stable with firmware. Depending on the "stable" firmware generation I'd have devices just stop passing traffic and APs doing the same at times.

I deployed TP-Link Omada last year when updating my in-laws place and it's been great so far. I just deployed EAP670's are my own place and they've been quite stable.

The management is great and centralized management makes it easy to handle things like IOT vlans and guest networks.

The controller software can run in a container or on a VM. I did deploy an OC200 at my in-laws place.

That switch with 2.5GbE is a lot different than a UDM Pro.

I'd suggest checking out the ubiquity forums on the set of devices you'd be comparing to. If you don't need those 10GbE SFP+ ports there are probably cheaper viable options on the Omada side as well.
Thanks for the heads up on the Omada APs and Management.

The 10Gbe/2.5Gbe TP-Link switch was to be a future add-on, to get my rack provisioned properly so that I can stop bridging Dual Port SFP+ Cards and daisy chaining Servers to my current single SFP+ port on my Netgear MX510TX.

In regards to comparing a Dream Machine Pro, I was only taking the cost and basic functions into consideration and comparing it as such:

Dream Machine Pro - $470 CAD
......vs.......
TP-Link Oc200 Controller - $110 CAD
TP-Link SFP Router/FW - ER7206, $170 CAD
TP-Link 8 Port Gbe TL-SG2008 - $95 CAD
.........................................................................= $375 CAD Total (or even as low as $265 CAD ditching the Controller).

This puts me under the $100 mark difference and with the DM, I still get SFP+ both WAN/LAN, along with Video features and a more powerful and compact unit.
While I only plan for the time being to subscribe to 1Gbe WAN Service, the SFP TP-Link Router/FW will suffice while they hopefully update the lineup in the future.

Ubiquiti seem to have a far greater selection of components, but at the end of the day, TP-Link is affordable.
The TP-Link stuff, although limited in selection, is much cheaper to get started and the APs seem to be far more affordable than Ubiquiti.

I just don't want to make the usual mistake of choosing CHEAPER and regretting it later.

Cheers,
Allan

segfault

Apr 5, 2016
hasno.info
Seems like a worthwhile comparison. Hopefully the anecdotal report helps. Ubiquiti does have a wide product range and I wish I could say I considered it reliable.

I'll drop a note here if the TP-Link stuff starts flaking out, but so far it's been better stability-wise than the Ubiquiti gear it replaced. My only complaints so far are a lack of dark mode in the management UI and some restrictions on the management UI subnet behavior. I was running the management interface in a docker container on a host with multiple vlans trunked to it and using a localhost based VIP to expose it to clients, which the UI did not like.

Reactions: Angus

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Take a look at running Miktrotik CRS305/309 switches + used Ruckus Unleashed AP's :)

I run Proxmox hypervisors with firewall vm's, but you could run a tiny node like the Lenovo M720Q (~$200), which will take a dual 10G SFP+ network card, and also has a 1Gbps copper port for out of band management.

Absolutely rock solid for me and I have symmetric 2.5Gbps internet

Allan74

May 15, 2019
I run Proxmox hypervisors with firewall vm's, but you could run a tiny node like the Lenovo M720Q (~$200), which will take a dual 10G SFP+ network card, and also has a 1Gbps copper port for out of band management.
The cheapest I just found was about $300 CAD with a Pentium/Celeron Gold 5400T. I just can't justify the initial price, then have to immediately throw $hundreds more at it, outpricing even the Dream Machine Pro.

Take a look at running Miktrotik CRS305/309 switches
The CRS305 was always my eventual go to if/when I decided to pull the trigger on upgrading, or adding to my rack.

To get up and running, I think I am just going to start with the following:

TP-Link Multi-WAN Router/FW (ER605) - $80
TP-Link 8 Port Gbe Mng Switch (TL-SG2008) - $95
TP-Link AC1750 MU-MIMO AP w/Injector (EAP245v3) - $90
$265 CAD Total ($200 USD)

This will give me a complete Management picture, with a software controller running in a VM, and WiFi for the Wife.

I will continue to use my Netgear MX510TX Unmanaged other than a couple aggregated 1Gbe ports from the TP-Link.
For my Servers, I will use the 10Gb ports and a 2.5 - 5Gbps connections for myself (only 5E in the walls).
I have a 5spd Aquantia Copper NIC in my workstation and 5Gbps is a bonus, although 2.5 is fine as My 2x 12-drive arrays are
only capable of writing @ 250 - 275MB/s, therefore anything 2.5Gbps+ for my main connection is enough.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
i been using a tp-link setup for a few years now. It come a long way. I run the controller as a VM. I have Ubuntu LTS as the VM OS. Its simple process for upgrading the controller. Wget the software and run command line to install it. It will install over the older version. If you are already running some VMs, I would save the money and do a VM vs controller unit. Assuming your VM can stay on 24x7 as it needed for APs to work etc..

The newest controller software just added AP firmware updates, so it will let you know when there is an update and let you stage them to the AP with a click of a button. So it speeds up the deployment by a good amount.

I also use Vlans without issues. I just have the VM on a network with trunk access and setup the various wifi SIDS with whatever VLAN.
for example home wifi (used on cells, trusted devices) is on standard vlan and IOT wifi (cameras, dishwasher,etc) is on vlan 10.

1656593691537.png

The APs themselves have been stable. I never need to bring mine down. I also have two APs setup on MESH, the one in the garage and the outdoor one. For power I use a TL-SG108PE 2.0 poe smart switch to power the APs in the house. The other ones use a POE injector.

Currently I have 3 EAP245 V3, 1 EAP225 Outdoor and new EAP670. The new EAP670 replaced EAP245 V3 recently. (I would avoid the EAP660 as it has a bandwidth issue).

The EAP245 will do 800ish MBits which is close to the 1GB nic speeds. The new EAP670 will get to 1500+ Mbits if you have it on a 2.5GB nic. The new 670 has crazy range and my cell will prefer to stay connected to it even if it's near the older EAP245 AP.

I do use fast disconnect, etc so when i move around the house the device should connect to other AP.

Just for reference, I have currently 46 clients connected to wifi around the house and i do use a bit of bandwidth lol.
1656594243847.png
1656594364002.png

Hope this helps in your decision.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
i been using a tp-link setup for a few years now.
Thanks for all of the info. This helps a ton.

It's now come down to EAP245v3 AC1750 vs. EAP610 AX1800 and if WPA3 is worth the additional $50 CAD per AP.
I don't care about the speed, as it's literally for a single user who is currently happy on AC1200 over 3 devices.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
For power I use a TL-SG108PE 2.0 poe smart switch to power the APs in the house.
I feel stupid for even asking this.......

So as long as you run a main/top of rack Omada Managed Switch, you can cascade UNMANAGED POE+ switches and maintain management over the APs connected to that UNMANAGED POE+ Switch ?

For example, I want to run something like this: (and by Omada below, I mean Omada friendly)

Omada
ER605 FW ---> Omada TL-SG3428X (24port + 4x SFP+) ---> Unmanaged TL-SG1005P (5port POE+) ---> EAP610 AP Access Point.

I just don't want to put all my eggs in the same basket and run a Main Management Switch at the top of the rack with built-in POE+ as it's not (POE) my number 1 priority, where I can always substitute a temporary POE Injector if something happens.

thanks again,
Allan

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
as far as your question goes: However the APs are connected to the network, as long as they can be found by the controller they can be adapted and managed by the controller. So you can do non poe main switch and then add a smaller poe switch like you have in your example. Or just use poe adapters per AP.

The only thing that might be a concern is if you are planning to use vlan, I'm not sure how an unmanage poe switch will handle the vlans. It's possible that at the main switch, you can say the port going to the poe switch has vlans on it, then only use the poe switch with the APs and define the SIDs with which vlan they are using. For example one SID is on the main network and other is setup for just IOT and is isolated.

I went with the TL-SG108PE 2.0 because it is a smart level managed poe switch, so it allows you to tag vlan on ports. That is what I do for my APs, so i can have the wifi SIDs setup to different vlans.

If you arent using vlans probably not even a concern to use the unmanage switch.

Also i dont have any experience with full TP Omada setup like you are planning to do, so i cant comment on how the controller works with rest of the components. But if you do move forward, it would be cool to see a review of how setup was, if you feel it meets your needs and if you have any issues.

Reactions: Allan74

Allan74

May 15, 2019
I'm not sure how an unmanage poe switch will handle the vlans. It's possible that at the main switch, you can say the port going to the poe switch has vlans on it, then only use the poe switch with the APs and define the SIDs with which vlan they are using.
That was pretty much the idea on the main switch, to keep things simple for me anyway, although I may opt for an 8port smart POE switch like yours, so that I can run 2 port aggregation downlinks links off the 1Gbit ports of the main switch.

My goals are pretty simple. Secure Gig Wifi for the wife and 2.5+Gbit Wired for me, as I am limited to SAS6G/SATA300 writes on my current servers (and I am fine with that, since I am the only one that writes 4GB+ files), although each will still have a 10Gbit link, more so for when they are replaced/upgraded in the rack with newer hardware. My ONLY limitation is that I promised the wife that my entire HomeLab/Media Storage 22U Rack would only require a single 15A/110V circuit.

thanks again Marcoi, I really appreciate all your info and everyone else who took the time to respond.
Allan

Allan74

May 15, 2019
I apologize for the attached artwork, but here is where I am at.

I only have the main Managed switch left to order and have everything else.

With the amateur colored wiring runs aside, is there any reason that you might consider 1 switch over the other ?

The breakdown is as follows:

2x AX1800 WiFi6 AP (EAP610)
1x Hardware Cloud Controller (Oc200)
1x 5xGbe, 4xPOE+ 30W/65W Unmanaged (TL-SG105)
1x Multi-WAN Router/FW (ER605)
+
TP-Link 8 Port SFP+, L2+Mng, 1xGbe (TL-SX3008F)
or
TP-Link 24xGbe, 4xSFP+ L2+Mng (TL-SG3428X)
+
Netgear MS510TX 4x1Gbe/2x2.5Gbe/2x5Gbe/1x10Gbe + 1xSFP+ Switch (Existing)

The price between the 2 switches is roughly the same once a couple 1Gbe SFP modules are added to the 8xSFP+ Switch.

I am leaning to the 8port SFP+ even though I may have to sacrifice a port or 2 in the short term to 1Gbe speeds.
I really only need 4x SFP+ ports to satisfy 3 servers and 1 for ME, but I don't have any need for an additional 24x 1Gbe ports.
Also, My thinking is, with TP-Link targeting Ubiquiti, it's only a matter of time before they introduce an SFP+ In/Out Router/Firewall, building off their already available SFP In Unit, which is why I bought the 'cheap' Firewall to begin with.

Hearing from those with any experience with the TL-SX3008F is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Take a look at running Miktrotik CRS305/309 switches + used Ruckus Unleashed AP's :)

Absolutely rock solid for me and I have symmetric 2.5Gbps internet
Are you directly connecting the Proxmox box to the 2.5Gbps cablemodem/PON?

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Are you directly connecting the Proxmox box to the 2.5Gbps cablemodem/PON?
No, but only because I have 2 x Proxmox servers in a cluster that are both connected to the WAN and LAN sides of my network.

My setup goes from the ATT BGW320 over copper to a MikroTik S+RJ10 transceiver connected to the WAN side Mikrotik CRS305.
Then my Proxmox servers are both connected to the WAN switch, as well as the LAN side Mikrotik CRS305.

Internet > ATT BGW320 > CRS305 > Proxmox > CRS305 > Internal Network