SAS Controller disappears after reboot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thatch45

May 12, 2022
I have 2 Supermicro H12SSL-CT motherboards, one of them has been doing something strange. When I reboot, the SAS adapter gets disabled, if I shut down, pull the power, and then boot - it comes back - but only until I reboot the system - then poof! it is gone!

Any ideas on what I should look at to debug next?

thatch45

May 12, 2022
Is my face red!
Latest Arch Linux running the current LTS kernel.
Supermicro CSE-847E16-R1K28LPB Chassis with
BPN-SAS2-846EL1 24-port 4U SAS2 6Gbps single-expander backplane
BPN-SAS2-826EL1 12-port 2U SAS2 6Gbps single-expander backplane

I should add that both backplanes disappear.

I have 2 nearly identical systems, the one NOT giving me trouble just has a few more components in the PCI slots.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I have 2 Supermicro H12SSL-CT motherboards, one of them has been doing something strange. When I reboot, the SAS adapter gets disabled, if I shut down, pull the power, and then boot - it comes back - but only until I reboot the system - then poof! it is gone!

Any ideas on what I should look at to debug next?
when it is "gone", is the heartbeat LED on the SAS controller dead or still blinking about once per second?

also, when it is "gone", and you boot up into the OS, does the card not show up on the PCIe bus? Or, does it show up, but the driver will not load?

thatch45

May 12, 2022
The heartbeat light noes not blink and the controller does not show up in the output of lspci, when it is working it does show up:
```
41:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS3008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3 (rev 02)
```

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
does the card have a bios option rom and/or UEFI module flashed? If so, does it present a splash screen on early boot, and are you able to enter its preboot environment (usually via Ctrl-C)?

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
SAS controller chip will run hot without active cooling. Are you cooling the chip properly in your case? Didn't examine it closely, but like all air ducts properly installed etc? If yes, send board back to SM get a new one if under warranty. If heartbeat blink is gone then SAS processor has a problem and will disappear from PCIe bus. Backplanes are behind it, so only secondary effect imho.