Free alternative to VMware Vsan

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ro345

Jul 31, 2017
Hi Folks,

I have 15 servers that I am repurposing for lab use. They are old, but decent. All servers have 48TB of raw storage space each, with LSI raid adapters. I will be running ESXI 6.5 or 6.7. I would like to converge the storage to a shared pool. Vmware Vsan would be perfect for what I am doing, but I don't have the money to spend on the licenses for a lab install. I'm looking to pool the storage from all 15 servers and still use all 15 servers as hypervisors. It looks like the cap on the free Starwind VSAN is at 3 servers, I would like to use all 15 servers. Is there maybe a way to do this with Ceph? Ideas? Thanks!

Reactions: kellenw

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Proxmox + Ceph :D

Forget ESXi, or just run it nested inside Proxmox if you really need to :p

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Proxmox isnt an option. ESXI is what we use.
but if the requirements are that strict and you’re already paying for ESXi, what is stopping you from either asking for budget to cover a vmware-like SAN if that is what’s to be used?

ro345

Jul 31, 2017
but if the requirements are that strict and you’re already paying for ESXi, what is stopping you from either asking for budget to cover a vmware-like SAN if that is what’s to be used?
Well, ESXI is already paid for and budgeted for through the main IT budget, and Vsan is not and IT will not cover it. Thats just how it goes and its beyond my control, which is why I am asking for free alternatives.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Deploy ceph to your VMware cluster using ansible. use ceph iscsi connector to present it back to VMware.

b) vmug subscription is cheap - $200 and there are group buy options to make it even cheaper:

c) option b - find vsan license key on the internet. it's there is if you look hard enough