EXPIRED Hyve "S-SKUD 2" - 1U, 8x LFF SATA6, 2x LGA 3647 Skylake-SP, 2x PCIe x16, 2x OCP PCIe x8 w/2x 25Gbps Connectx-4 installed - $149 + Shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sl12

Sep 20, 2016
Hi everyone. How to reset IPMI password ?
Done!

C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\ipmiutil-3.1.8-win64>ipmiutil user set 5 name ******* 1
ipmiutil user ver 3.18
GET_USERNAME: 0 83 2, status = 0, ccode=cc
SETUSERNAME - 5 73 76 status = 0, ccode=0
SETUSERENAB - inputData 5 1 76, status = 0, ccode=0
SETUSER_ACCESS - inputData 91 5 f, status = 0 ccode=0
ipmiutil user, completed successfully

C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\ipmiutil-3.1.8-win64>ipmiutil user set 5 password ******** 1
ipmiutil user ver 3.18
GET_USERNAME: 73 76 65, status = 0, ccode=0
SETUSERPSW - inputData 5 2 53, status = 0, ccode=0
TESTUSERPSW - inputData 5 3 53, status = 0, ccode=0
SETUSER_ACCESS - inputData 91 5 1f, status = 0 ccode=cc
ipmiutil user, Invalid data field in request

C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\ipmiutil-3.1.8-win64>ipmiutil user set 5 priv 4 1
ipmiutil user ver 3.18
SETUSER_ACCESS - inputData 91 5 4, status = 0 ccode=0

C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\ipmiutil-3.1.8-win64>ipmiutil user enable 5 1
ipmiutil user ver 3.18
SETUSER_ACCESS - inputData 91 5 14, status = 0 ccode=cc

C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\ipmiutil-3.1.8-win64>

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: eduncan911

NachoCDN

Apr 18, 2016
Hi everyone. How to reset IPMI password ?
Done!

C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\ipmiutil-3.1.8-win64>ipmiutil user set 5 name ******* 1
ipmiutil user ver 3.18
GET_USERNAME: 0 83 2, status = 0, ccode=cc
SETUSER_ACCESS - inputData 91 5 f, status = 0 ccode=0

C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\ipmiutil-3.1.8-win64>ipmiutil user set 5 password ******** 1
ipmiutil user ver 3.18
SETUSERPSW - inputData 5 2 53, status = 0, ccode=0
TESTUSERPSW - inputData 5 3 53, status = 0, ccode=0
SETUSER_ACCESS - inputData 91 5 1f, status = 0 ccode=cc

C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\ipmiutil-3.1.8-win64>ipmiutil user set 5 priv 4 1
ipmiutil user ver 3.18
SETUSER_ACCESS - inputData 91 5 4, status = 0 ccode=0

C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\ipmiutil-3.1.8-win64>ipmiutil user enable 5 1
ipmiutil user ver 3.18
SETUSER_ACCESS - inputData 91 5 14, status = 0 ccode=cc

C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\ipmiutil-3.1.8-win64>
are you getting the same hang on reboot issue with your server that has been described? just curious

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Not sure if this information is useful or not but that BMC looks exactly like the BMC in my Inspur servers.... (not sure if this is a common BMC or not, but from all the major vendors ive used (Dell/HP/SuperMicro/Inspur) it looks exactly like an Inspur BMC setup...

NachoCDN

Apr 18, 2016
Ok, let's take this one step at a time.

Why do you think you need firmware? May be old, but the machine should already have firmware loaded?

Can you remove all but 1 drive and install Windows in AHCI mode (non-raid)? And see if it reboots. Maybe try disabling RAID in the BIOS, and installing Windows? The idea is to narrow down what is causing Windows to reboot. Maybe a RAID driver.

Yeah, I do not understand why Hyve Solutions keeps saying that. They have, right on their homepage, E-WASTE and how Proud they are in recycling. But zero help to the gray market?!?!

You know, I was thinking of writing an article about how Hyve Solutions' E-WASTE's policy of denying Gray Market Buyers is turning 1000s of their machines into scrape e-waste - going to waste.

I think you just gave me the final push to start the report.
i'd love to read that report!! the world of server manufacturing and how hardware is locked denying reselling and forgotten to landfill is a great story.

NachoCDN

Apr 18, 2016
anyone tried this system out with any xeon engineering samples? just wondering if those work in that rig?

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
anyone tried this system out with any xeon engineering samples? just wondering if those work in that rig?
I don't think a lot of people ended up buying it due to the LFF and zero support.

However, I'll pick one up - if we can find out more about yours, and make it stable.

kellenw

Jan 15, 2022
Not sure if this information is useful or not but that BMC looks exactly like the BMC in my Inspur servers.... (not sure if this is a common BMC or not, but from all the major vendors ive used (Dell/HP/SuperMicro/Inspur) it looks exactly like an Inspur BMC setup...
The BMC is AMI MegaRAC.

plessley

Dec 1, 2019
So I have one of these, and it wasn't fun getting it running. I do not have an updated firmware for it, but I don't think it's needed. I had to reset the bios, and change the ACPI settings as it wasn't wanting to accept any other hardware adapters I tried to use (but had no issue with usb!).

Resetting the BMC via ipmitool is easy enough once you can boot to a live linux usb stick- and if you're really feeling adventurous you can get into the ami web bios with administrator/superuser (may have to mess with capitalization a bit), but it's accessible from the bmc screen once you're there.

I have had zero luck with ES processors, nor anything above 165TDP, it just doesn't handle it well.

The OCP v2 slots are easy enough to deal with once you get past that pin lock setup, and it does handle NVME without issue, but again only after you fix the ACPI headaches. The two onboard 25Gbe adapters work just fine, and I'm using 10gb twinax I picked up off of ebay with an arista 7124sx- totally doesn't care, but you will want to update the firmware on the mellanox card because it is old. The driver package off of nvidia handles it for you, but only under a windows os.

I gave in an installed win2019 just because I was lazy, but it will get wiped and become a member of a ceph cluster soon (tm)

I've attached pictures of the BMC interface, as well as the configuration with a pair of xeon 5120's, and a pic with 4 sas disks installed- if you haven't already figured it out, right angle pcie adapters are your friend with this box.

It's not terribly loud, but then I'm used to working in a datacenter, and I used to sleep in my lab without problem, YMMV

Attachments

NachoCDN

Apr 18, 2016
So I have one of these, and it wasn't fun getting it running. I do not have an updated firmware for it, but I don't think it's needed. I had to reset the bios, and change the ACPI settings as it wasn't wanting to accept any other hardware adapters I tried to use (but had no issue with usb!).

Resetting the BMC via ipmitool is easy enough once you can boot to a live linux usb stick- and if you're really feeling adventurous you can get into the ami web bios with administrator/superuser (may have to mess with capitalization a bit), but it's accessible from the bmc screen once you're there.

I have had zero luck with ES processors, nor anything above 165TDP, it just doesn't handle it well.

The OCP v2 slots are easy enough to deal with once you get past that pin lock setup, and it does handle NVME without issue, but again only after you fix the ACPI headaches. The two onboard 25Gbe adapters work just fine, and I'm using 10gb twinax I picked up off of ebay with an arista 7124sx- totally doesn't care, but you will want to update the firmware on the mellanox card because it is old. The driver package off of nvidia handles it for you, but only under a windows os.

I gave in an installed win2019 just because I was lazy, but it will get wiped and become a member of a ceph cluster soon (tm)

I've attached pictures of the BMC interface, as well as the configuration with a pair of xeon 5120's, and a pic with 4 sas disks installed- if you haven't already figured it out, right angle pcie adapters are your friend with this box.

It's not terribly loud, but then I'm used to working in a datacenter, and I used to sleep in my lab without problem, YMMV
56 logical processors.. i'm drooling over here..

kellenw

Jan 15, 2022
From what I can tell gen2 should work, I just don't have any to test with
That's how I'm leaning as well. Usually, when you see the black DIMM slots closest to the CPU like that, they're for optional Optane Persistent Memory DIMMs, and those are only supported on the Gen 2 CPUs. However, just because the board can support Gen 2 doesn't mean the BIOS version does.... So there's still that little bit of lingering curiosity. haha

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com

Thank you for all of this! Finally, we are starting to get somewhere. So I may have 5o pickup one after all.

Btw, that looks identical to AsRock Rack's BMC web. And considering AsRock Rack did a lot of whitebox custom one offs at that time, we've all been looking in the wrong place.

It's an AsRock Rack board! I'm out with errands right now for a few hours. But if someone is reading this and goes, "oooo", go jump on adrockrack's site and poke around at Skylake motherboards and chassis.

Reactions: NachoCDN

sl12

Sep 20, 2016

Hi.
Is it accepted SAS HDD?

kellenw

Jan 15, 2022
Btw, that looks identical to AsRock Rack's BMC web.
The BMC is AMI MegaRAC. Quite a few names use it for their BMC solution. Gigabyte, some of HPE's Cloudline (at least the ones made by Gigabyte for them), AsRock, Asus, Tyan, some Intel boards, Chenbro, Wistron private label/oem, and several others use that same BMC. It's pretty common.

Last edited:
Reactions: eduncan911

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
The BMC is AMI MegaRAC. Quite a few names use it for their BMC solution. Gigabyte, some of HPE's Cloudline (at least the ones made by Gigabyte for them), AsRock, Asus, Tyan, some Intel boards, Chenbro, Wistron private label/oem, and several others use that same BMC. It's pretty common.
Ah, so it's just Supermicro with sh*tty BMC firmware then (Supermicro stated they will only updated X10/H11 and above motherboards to the newer Redfish API - that also uses HTML5 and not Java!).

Ah, I thought it was AsRock Rack - as I haven't experienced those others in the last 15 years. Over the last two years, I have slowly been removing Nvidia and Intel from our household. I stumbled upon an Asrock Rack X399D8U-2T and it blew my mind how great the BMC was - compared to Supermicro's horrific 2003 interface. So, I've decided to swap out everything in favor of AsRock Rack BMCs and Redfish remote controllers.

So...

I have spent far more time to admit slowly crawling through all of AsRock Rack's, Gigabyte, Tyan, and Asus motherboard and 1U offerings trying to match things up, as well as possibly a chassis. Yes, AsRock Rack as an 12x LFF 1U with dual LGA3647 that looks almost exactly like this for sale. However, there are far too many differences that I do not think it can be the same board (3x Mini-SAS instead of 3x SFF-8087, jumpers completely in the wrong places, chipset not exactly the same, completely missing PCIe x16 slots (and the one it is on, is even more different), connector locations, rear I/O, etc).

The search continues...

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Ah, so it's just Supermicro with sh*tty BMC firmware then (Supermicro stated they will only updated X10/H11 and above motherboards to the newer Redfish API - that also uses HTML5 and not Java!).

Ah, I thought it was AsRock Rack - as I haven't experienced those others in the last 15 years. Over the last two years, I have slowly been removing Nvidia and Intel from our household. I stumbled upon an Asrock Rack X399D8U-2T and it blew my mind how great the BMC was - compared to Supermicro's horrific 2003 interface. So, I've decided to swap out everything in favor of AsRock Rack BMCs and Redfish remote controllers.

So...

I have spent far more time to admit slowly crawling through all of AsRock Rack's, Gigabyte, Tyan, and Asus motherboard and 1U offerings trying to match things up, as well as possibly a chassis. Yes, AsRock Rack as an 12x LFF 1U with dual LGA3647 that looks almost exactly like this for sale. However, there are far too many differences that I do not think it can be the same board (3x Mini-SAS instead of 3x SFF-8087, jumpers completely in the wrong places, chipset not exactly the same, completely missing PCIe x16 slots (and the one it is on, is even more different), connector locations, rear I/O, etc).

The search continues...
I still can't get KVM to work with X10 and above boards. :mad: