[WTS] Western Digital Ultrastar DC SN200 7.68TB (SOLD)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

XeonSam

Aug 23, 2018
I got 30 pieces of the below 7.68TB NVMe drives. --> All sold

Selling price is $XXX. Payoneer preferred, paypall accepted. Shipping can be negotiated, located in South Korea.

On another note, does anyone know these drives? And why they're not showing up in the warranty check with HGST?
They look like generics to me... but the HGST site shows them as OEM's (or not backed by the usual HGST warranty).
I bought a bunch only needing a 2. Selling the rest to make up the cost of the two I need.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Last edited:

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
newer kioxia and intel has 5w idle so almost double. but they also work with different numbers, WD says 25w MAX during load, while kioxia uses 19w Typical during load.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Thats pretty normal for U.2 drives I think - I think my 4TB P4510's were around the same - one of the reasons why I switched back to SATA SSD's
did you measure the power consumption or just looked at the spec sheets?
I have a cheap kill-a-watt and and I never reached "typical" or "under load" power consumption of the spec sheets (be it with ssds, gpus, switches or other devices)

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
u.2 nvmes under load can def push a lot of heat. i had some 25w microns before and they could get really hot.

Reactions: T_Minus

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Yes, these will get hot when under load. I have the same drive, and it needs some active cooling. Otherwise it starts losing bits.

• Wow
Reactions: T_Minus

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
But why is it this cheap? They still seem to be selling quite high. 7.68 nvme for under 500 bucks? Too good to be true or very used.

XeonSam

Aug 23, 2018
In my experience I've found that most NVMe U.2 drives consume more wattage than what their idle specs when not doing any reading/writing. Typically I'll add 2-3w over published idle specs to get an idea on proper cooling etc. While the below is for spinners, it should give you an idea on just how complex idle states are.

https://www.seagate.com/files/docs/pdf/whitepaper/tp608-powerchoice-tech-provides-us.pdf
Totally, these drives do run hot. Much hotter than I expected. U.2 > PCIe > SAS > SATA

The reason why they're so cheap is because the seller couldn't test them because he didn't have the correct enclosure. I believe he has more which he just doesn't know how to do a SMART test on. Turns out all of them were fine... stuck them in a 10 bay Dell server and they all registered.

These have been sold.

Reactions: heavyarms2112