ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
@RolloZ170 Can you explain why the A0 stepping from the 8222L(QLPA) is bad? Got one for 19 bucks and arrives in a few days.
intel dropped 2019 support for cpuid 50655 stepping A0 microcode, is runs still under PRD but its not.
for that reason (security) some OEM dropped A0 support in they're latest BIOS.
if you don't care about it should be OK. but a real QS must have same support than actual production units.

malloot

Oct 24, 2013
I assume you know what you are doing but your requirements seems contradicting - stable work and easy BIOS updates are not going hand in hand with this type of CPUs. You can check the thread for multiple post of request of hacked BIOSes or if a CPU will work with particular board.
It looks like you will be using the CPUs for some kind of production. Also consider the longer term maintenance effort of such solution. Can you afford the down time if something goes wrong? Do you already have the servers?
You haven't mentioned your space and memory requirements, but have you considered consumer CPUs - Ryzen and current gent Intel can be got with 12-16/20 cores easily.
Agree with that, and its exactly what I am interested in, where does that edge lie? I don't want to assume just buying the 8k$ original part is the only option without trying to prove the opposite is true. We need more ram than a consumer CPU can give us although we currently run some Ryzen 3950's for parts that need high single thread performance.

@RolloZ170

Thanks, I learned a lot from just reading your posts going back in time, those remarks make sense now. I think I steered the edge to close to the hard to pull off part there.
Thinking of buying H262-NO1 with the 8350C (QXC3) that seems like a nice chip, TDP well within chassis spec unlike the 8375C. So a setup with a C QS chip that is deemed supported by the chassis according to the Ebay resellers? How risky is that?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
with the 8350C (QXC3) that seems like a nice chip, TDP well within chassis spec unlike the 8375C. So a setup with a C QS chip that is deemed supported by the chassis according to the Ebay resellers? How risky is that?
the seller writes OEM no ES but the screenshots show QS(ES)
but if you like this price for a QS (with luck no-ES) you should go with it.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Thinking of buying H262-NO1 with the 8350C (QXC3) that seems like a nice chip
one more thinkg you should know anout 2nd/3rd gen 'C' SKUs. if you have any problems you can not ask Intel, or if you ask you will not get the answer you expect.

malloot

Oct 24, 2013
haha, yeah, the answer will be how the f did you get those give them back, but then in enterprise lawyer language and that sounds way more scary

I never really contacted intel for anything with regards to support, but yeah there is a risk indeed

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
haha, yeah, the answer will be how the f did you get those give them back, but then in enterprise lawyer language and that sounds way more scary
not realy: "these 'C' CPU are confidential SKU for select customers, ask the OEM you got them from for support"
its mor like a OEM Windows, on any issues/problems ask the OEM, not MS.

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
Hey,

I have been playing around with the idea of buying QS cpu's for a while but it looks like the time has come now, i need 40 CPU's this year and saving a bit on each is just worth too much to ignore the QS option. I have a couple of options for machines, mostly looking at 2U 4 node machines like

H261-NO0 (3647)
H262-NO0 (4189)
X11DPT-B (3647)

I am looking for 20core+ CPU's, clock speed does not matter a lot and I prefer lower TDP/core cpu's with the lowest price per core, @RolloZ170 can you maybe recommend me a CPU for this? As far as i could find 4189 was still significantly more expensive and i cannot find a lot of information about QS compatibility on these.
My thought is if you have to ask, you shouldn't be deploying 20 nodes full of engineering samples. Being able to get support from the vendor is important and if you have a QS part in your server the system vendor will probably refuse to provide support.

Ice Lake Xeon is pretty reasonably priced. If you are not looking for top spec parts the Silver 4316 basically matches a flagship Broadwell CPU for $1000. A 2S 256GB node is going to be around $5000 so you're looking at $100K for 20 nodes

malloot

Oct 24, 2013
@RolloZ170

So I got some additional screenshots from the seller, it shows the cpu name in the bios, in windows, in cpu-z. However it does also say ES... so what are these?
Screenshot_20220518-101055_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20220518-101310_eBay.jpg

Multiple sellers have now uploaded similar images with all saying this is production OEM and QS at the same time

Last edited:

D-EJ915

May 19, 2022
Both of those are either impossible to find or crazy expensive.

EPC621D8A is my best bet, any idea how/where to get a modified bios? I don't trust the seller I got the chip from.
Did you end up finding bios to support QL2K ?

Finally got the board to post with my 8175M, looks like my QL2K is just dead, gives 53 memory not detected error. Oh well into the dead chip bin it goes.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Sparky'sAdventure

masterdeejay

Feb 7, 2020
Can a W series QS LGA3647 Xeon working on a server motherboard? Or there is a limitation for workstation chipset only?

I have a QL1L Xeon (6138ES) but i want to replace with something better for gaming because i no longer needed this system for work. I have a Supermicro X11SPM-F with the latest bios (replaced microcode)

There is an Intel Xeon W-3223 QS cpu ebay link
I know that is a low end workstation cpu for this socket but still better for gaming than the low clocked ES cpu.

The W series is not on the motherboard support list but the socket is the same, mobo supports 165w tdp and there was an Xeon Gold 5218R cpu for few weeks testing and worked in this motherboard so it tested with newer Cascade Lake (Refresh) core (with the stock new bios)
Thanks!

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Can a W series QS LGA3647 Xeon working on a server motherboard? Or there is a limitation for workstation chipset only?
there is no extra Workstation chipset. the difference is only the count of uplink lanes and IO ports.
if you asked supermicro i.e. they most say its not supported because the extra 16 PCIe lanes are not used, Optane Memory is not supported by Xeon W but the motherboard can, and so on...
I have a Supermicro X11SPM-F with the latest bios (replaced microcode)
had a Xeon W3245 QS working on X11SPM (with old BIOS 3.0 - still not TDP block there like from 3.4 and up)

Reactions: Vit K

masterdeejay

Feb 7, 2020
there is no extra Workstation chipset. the difference is only the count of uplink lanes and IO ports.
if you asked supermicro i.e. they most say its not supported because the extra 16 PCIe lanes are not used, Optane Memory is not supported by Xeon W but the motherboard can, and so on...

had a Xeon W3245 QS working on X11SPM (with old BIOS 3.0 - still not TDP block there like from 3.4 and up)
Thanks!

What do you think is the safe TDP for motherboard can handle? 205w?

I have a NH-U14S DX-3647 so the cpu cooling is ok but i dont want to cook the VRM.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
What do you think is the safe TDP for motherboard can handle? 205w?
X11SPM uses the same components than on X11DPi-N(T) (2x 205W)
there is overcurrent & overtemp function. for stable operation there is a continuous airflow required over the Heatsink like in a flat server chassis.

Reactions: Vit K

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Can i use this in X11SPM motherboard? I know there is a fabric pcb on this F version cpu but can i simply cut it off?
will NOT work or just at 700mhz with additional problems you can not solve.
the omni path fabric needs additional voltage regulator which the most supermicro not have.