Router recommendation - wired only

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DCswitch

Feb 17, 2022
Can some one recommend a powerful router that is under $600 (ideally less than $250)?
I don't mind if it's used. We have a 24 bay server with 1G, 10G, 40G, and 100G. We have 1000 up and down fiber internet. We don't use wifi, but we could always turn it off in the router. I'm wondering if I should repurpose an Intel NUC into a Pfense router, but it would be nice not to have to deal with it.

Last edited:

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
You would only need to size your router for the ISP ingress, along with any IDS/IPS you require. Assuming your server and other things on the network are keeping inter-network traffic mostly on your 100G switch.

Any relatively modern consumer router would handle gigabit ingress and NAT fine. A NUC is plenty fast as a pfSense box, but it would need at minimum 2 NICs.

Last edited:

DCswitch

Feb 17, 2022
I've been using an Asus RT-AC68U (flashed from a TM-AC1900) running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and the firmware is updated regularly, however I feel like it could be a bit of bottleneck since it's so old. I've been using this router for around 14 years or so.

ReturnedSword mentioned, "Any relatively modern consumer router would handle gigabit ingree and NAT fine." Yes, that's the question... which one (and wifi is not necessary)?

I tend to buy used hardware since Enterprise grade is usually best, but I don't mind buying something new if it's a good buy. I've been eye-balling Mikrotik or just using something like a NUC via Pfense (it's easy to add a 2nd NIC to it).

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
I've been using an Asus RT-AC68U (flashed from a TM-AC1900) running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and the firmware is updated regularly, however I feel like it could be a bit of bottleneck since it's so old. I've been using this router for around 14 years or so.

ReturnedSword mentioned, "Any relatively modern consumer router would handle gigabit ingree and NAT fine." Yes, that's the question... which one (and wifi is not necessary)?

I tend to buy used hardware since Enterprise grade is usually best, but I don't mind buying something new if it's a good buy. I've been eye-balling Mikrotik or just using something like a NUC via Pfense (it's easy to add a 2nd NIC to it).
I have my father’s house set up on those re-flashed TM-AC1900s (3 in AiMesh with ethernet backbone) as the main router. It handles his fiber gigabit internet just fine. I have him set up on quite a few IoT stuff and WiFi cameras, as well as a NAS. The main issue is it’s AiMesh capability is a bit flakey and it doesn’t have modern features such as beam forming, band steering, and low latency AP roaming (it uses a hard disconnect based on signal strength).

Which NUC can easily have additional NICs added? I’m not aware of any. I bought a Topton N6005 barebones with i225V quad NICs from Aliexpress just to play around with. Still waiting on shipment from China.

Sealside

May 10, 2019
Stockholm/Sweden
If you want to go the pfsense/opnsense route you can buy a hp t730/t740/t620 plus / Fujitsu Futro S920 (there are plenty of more options)

All will handle gigabit internet fine and will not cost that much. The s920 is around 40$ in eu. You will have to buy a separate nic.

Reactions: fohdeesha

Slartibartfast

Apr 7, 2020
I am very interested in this thread. I have the same issue. I am also looking into Mikrotik and the new RB5009UG+S+IN looks capable (2.5GbE wan)... just over 200 dollars.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Can some one recommend a powerful router that is under $600 (ideally less than $250)?
I don't mind if it's used. We have a 24 bay server with 1G, 10G, 40G, and 100G. We have 1000 up and down fiber internet. We don't use wifi, but we could always turn it off in the router. I'm wondering if I should repurpose an Intel NUC into a Pfense router, but it would be nice not to have to deal with it.
Are you just looking for a basic layer 4 firewall with nat functionality?
Or do you need layer 7, dpi, ids/ips, ssl inspection capabilities?

It makes a huge difference in the hardware you need to get symmetric 1Gbps

DCswitch

Feb 17, 2022
Are you just looking for a basic layer 4 firewall with nat functionality?
Or do you need layer 7, dpi, ids/ips, ssl inspection capabilities?

It makes a huge difference in the hardware you need to get symmetric 1Gbps
We're growing and so is our network, so we would rather go with a more robust router. Any suggestions would be great.