Refurb: Samsung SM843 Pro 480GB $170

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
Anyone know what the durability is like? I'm wondering if it would make a decent SSD cache for a Cachecade controller, Storage Spaces, ZFS, etc...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Anyone know what the durability is like? I'm wondering if it would make a decent SSD cache for a Cachecade controller, Storage Spaces, ZFS, etc...
My sense is fairly decent, especially if you did significant overprovisioning (e.g. 400GB like the enterprise drives often do)

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
The Capacitors would be worth its weight in gold, but the old SAMSUNG 840 PRO's i've got are still rocking out hard after 1.5 years of continuos use under esxi 5.1 - not a single flinch!

I wonder how much use these poor guys have on them? that would be the main concern versus buying new samsung 850 pro's!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The power-loss protection on these is somewhat suspect:
The SAMSUNG MZ-7PD4800/0D3 SSD is a high-performance storage solution engineered for data centers. It provides a high level of sustained read (IOPS), high-write endurance, and is coupled with power-loss protection to help IT organizations maximize data center performance and reliability in the face of tremendous data growth.
When I look at the TweakTown pictures: Samsung SM843 Pro Data Center Series 240GB SSD Review - Samsung SM843 Internals

I do not see power loss protection capacitors on the PCB shots.

The Samsung material on the SM843 does not have power loss protection noted: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/file/media/SM843_Brochure-0.pdf

Maybe I will open one up tonight ahead of tomorrow's sale. If these are "zero hour" refurbs, then maybe they were customer specific drives they are dumping.

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
Anyone know how can Canadian order these? They don't accept my paypal and I would really want some ..

Triggerhappy

Nov 18, 2012
Anyone have any anecdotes on these? Afraid to just buy refurb in case its been a full speed 24/7 write target for a year or something

I looked at the newegg reviews and out of 4 it seems 1 was "brand new" with 0 hours on it and another was DOA.

Last edited:

moto316

Feb 23, 2014
just ordered 8 of them to put in a raid 10 zfs array, ill report back and let you know how they panned out

Reactions: Patrick

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I ordered eight of these drives. All are working well.

I have them loaded into four Sonnett Tempo SSD Pro Plus PCIe adapter cards to build a low-end VM storage pool for Hyper-V. It works and has been reliable so far, but the throughput and IOPS performance is about half what you get from a SAS HBA. On the other hand, the Sonnett cards provide power to the SSD drives, which was the problem I needed to solve.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@dba I want to buy you a power breakout cable but I am guessing you have an alternative chassis.

I have 4... they are holding up fine thus far.