Need help - how to give AWS-like dynamic addresses

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I am having an issue finding this. Here's what I am trying to do.

I have a small single dedicated server at a budget provider. That dedicated server I installed Hyper-V on with pfsense 2.2-alpha in Hyper-V. I have 3 usable IP addresses but want to have a mini lab and obviously want more than 3 VMs.

Normally what I do is setup 1:1 NAT where I map an internal IP to an external IP address directly. The VMs all sit on an Internal-only virtual switch and this works relatively well. The problem: I can only address 3 VMs that way.

What I want to do is be able to generate DNS aliases like AWS does and have like superb.mydomain.com and have that map to an external IP address, say 4.4.4.1. Then have pfsense NAT that to an internal address say 192.168.1.3

So an application goes to mydomain.com, the DNS record points to superb.mydomain.com which resolves to one of my IP addresses (maybe the pfsense one?) Pfsense does NAT and brokers the request to 192.168.1.3

Anyone know what this is called so I can google for documentation?

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
I have setup what you describe on a pfsense box before. It is a reverse proxy, certs with a reverse proxy can be a little tricky in pfsense but it is fairly straight forward, I believe that you will need to install an addon to pfsense for the functionality. It has been a year or so since I set it up.

Last edited: